Baby Sarah

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I ended up having Baby Sarah at nearly 42 weeks, and was worried because she was getting pretty big. I had my OB strip my cervix at 41w 1d, and believe me I will NEVER have that done again! I had had it done with my previous babies and it never had any effect, but it worked this time. I started having contractions about midafternoon on Thursday July 26 and they kept getting stronger but no closer together than 7 minutes. I stayed home and kept waiting for them to get closer, but they only got stronger and stronger to the point where I couldn't function during the contraction at all. Finally at about 3 p.m. Saturday July 28 I had had enough. I called my doula and she said it sounded like I needed to head to the hospital. DH, the kids and I all got there about 5 p.m. and we got checked in.

The doctor came by about 5:45 and checked me. I was 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced, whereas at my doctor's appointment on Wednesday I was 2 cm and 40% effaced. We decided to have the doctor break my water and, after which he left for a "get-together." DH and the kids left to get some dinner. The contractions got closer together after my water was broken and stayed at about 5 minutes apart for an hour or so. The doula suggested I try to have several contractions on the toilet because doing that makes the contractions more effective. After I did, the contractions started coming at about 2 minutes apart and lasting over a minute each, and there was no break at all between some of them. The nurse checked me at about 7:30 and I was 7 cm dilated and again at 8:00 when I was 8 1/2 cm dilated. I think they called the doctor at that point. I decided to try to use the bathroom before pushing, but the minute I sat down on the toilet I started screaming and pushing--it was completely out of my control. The doula rushed me back to the bed, and about 3 minutes of complete calm passed--no contractions, nothing. I was sitting on my knees in the bed and was able to catch my breath. The next thing I know I was screaming at the top of my lungs and pushing again. It actually felt like the baby was coming out that point. The doula buzzed the nurses and lowered the bed and tried to talk me into using some oil to massage my perineum but I really wasn't open to any new suggestions at that point.

I started really pushing and felt her head come out, and thought that was it because when DS was born he came out all at once. The nurse and doula kept telling me to keep pushing, so I did. The baby's shoulder was caught on my episiotomy scar and it tore, but finally she came right out. They flopped her up onto my stomach and she turned her face up to me and said "WAHHH!" She was born at 8:20 p.m. The doctor arrived just in time to deliver the placenta and sew up the tear.

All in all, it was a great experience, although after having contractions for 2 days I was pretty tired by the time I got to the actual labor. Baby Sarah weighed 9 pounds and is 22 inches long.

August 7th, 2007, 06:37 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay! Congrats.

I loved the part about not being open to new suggestions. During my little guys birth one of the midwives tried to coax me onto my left side for a second and I yelled "No, No, No, No, NO!" It was just like a five year old. LOL.

Anyhow, congrats again!

August 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeys_mommy1_2006
Quote:
I ended up having Baby Sarah at nearly 42 weeks, and was worried because she was getting pretty big. I had my OB strip my cervix at 41w 1d, and believe me I will NEVER have that done again! I had had it done with my previous babies and it never had any effect, but it worked this time. I started having contractions about midafternoon on Thursday July 26 and they kept getting stronger but no closer together than 7 minutes. I stayed home and kept waiting for them to get closer, but they only got stronger and stronger to the point where I couldn't function during the contraction at all. Finally at about 3 p.m. Saturday July 28 I had had enough. I called my doula and she said it sounded like I needed to head to the hospital. DH, the kids and I all got there about 5 p.m. and we got checked in.

The doctor came by about 5:45 and checked me. I was 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced, whereas at my doctor's appointment on Wednesday I was 2 cm and 40% effaced. We decided to have the doctor break my water and, after which he left for a "get-together." DH and the kids left to get some dinner. The contractions got closer together after my water was broken and stayed at about 5 minutes apart for an hour or so. The doula suggested I try to have several contractions on the toilet because doing that makes the contractions more effective. After I did, the contractions started coming at about 2 minutes apart and lasting over a minute each, and there was no break at all between some of them. The nurse checked me at about 7:30 and I was 7 cm dilated and again at 8:00 when I was 8 1/2 cm dilated. I think they called the doctor at that point. I decided to try to use the bathroom before pushing, but the minute I sat down on the toilet I started screaming and pushing--it was completely out of my control. The doula rushed me back to the bed, and about 3 minutes of complete calm passed--no contractions, nothing. I was sitting on my knees in the bed and was able to catch my breath. The next thing I know I was screaming at the top of my lungs and pushing again. It actually felt like the baby was coming out that point. The doula buzzed the nurses and lowered the bed and tried to talk me into using some oil to massage my perineum but I really wasn't open to any new suggestions at that point.

I started really pushing and felt her head come out, and thought that was it because when DS was born he came out all at once. The nurse and doula kept telling me to keep pushing, so I did. The baby's shoulder was caught on my episiotomy scar and it tore, but finally she came right out. They flopped her up onto my stomach and she turned her face up to me and said "WAHHH!" She was born at 8:20 p.m. The doctor arrived just in time to deliver the placenta and sew up the tear.

All in all, it was a great experience, although after having contractions for 2 days I was pretty tired by the time I got to the actual labor. Baby Sarah weighed 9 pounds and is 22 inches long.[/b]
Wonderfully story! I'm very happy for you!

</div>
August 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Ms.Michelle
WTG GIRL!!

Quote:
I loved the part about not being open to new suggestions.[/b]
I hear you! In my birth plan I wanted to touch the head when crowning.. but I was so exhausted by then I just screamed NO! at my DH and doula ~ I knew darn well where her head was!
January 30th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Its so amazing to hear what our bodies are capable of! thank you for sharing your story, it was beautiful

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search