Claire's Natural Birth with Pit

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
chele11's Avatar RIC
Send a message via Yahoo to chele11
Alarm went off at 5am and we called the hospital. Were told to call back at 6am. Disappointed. Alarm went off at 6am and believe it or not, I hit the off button and proceeded to fall back to sleep-for a split second! Called and they told us to be there at 7am. THUNDERSTORMS and HEAVY rain. It has barely rained all summer long and this was torrential (sp) Got everything ready and out the door at 6:55a (running late, typical of us!)

I was nervous, couldn't sit still. Kept thinking that I would be holding our baby in less than 24 hours (at least, I hoped!)

Got to the hospital and checked in. Told to sit in the waiting room until we were called. We were there just long enough to take the one pic of us!! Russell & My fave #'s are 4, 7 & 11, but his baseball # was 12, so that is special too.... Upon entering the L&D area, we looked and 4 & 7 both had closed doors. I couldn't see 11. The nurse says, "What about 12?" "YUP!"

It was all the way in the back and I said, "Great, way in the back so nobody can hear me scream." The room was huge. Kinda medicinal but huge. They got me hooked up to an iv and had the Pit going even before the Penicillian (a dose every 4 hours until I delivered btw-I wasn't looking forward to that additional pain!) Around 8:30-9am, my doc arrived and checked me...still 1cm and only 30-50% effaced. UGH. (all those cx's from last week did nothing apparently!) She almost didn't break my water bc Claire's head was not engaged. She said if she did, I would not be able to get out of bed until I was at 0 station.

I would not consider the following hours as labor. I talked, laughed (story of that in another post), read my book, ate a few cheezits (dammit, I was hungry!), ate ice chips and...POPCYCLES!! (grape, not cherry but I was thinking of you all!!!)

They upped the Pit every 30 minutes. I did have some pretty strong contractions for about an hour, that I didn't really have to breathe thru, but used them for practice. I think I started having really good cx's around 3-4pm. We had a different nurse every 4 hours (got the short shifters) but they were ALL amazing. One nurse was pregnant with her 6th child and had a few of them naturally...I asked for advice other than breathing and she told me that sitting up straight in bed, indian style or over the edge of the bed would help with getting her head into position..... So I did. and it helped immensely!!!

I remember them checking me and it was around 5pm (I'd just sent Russell's family to get some dinner), and I was thinking if I had to endure another 5-7 hours of this kind of pain (or worse) I was not gonna make it without pain meds. (I'd already opted for Stadol to see if I could sleep, but the only thing it did was take the edge off (they'd offered Phenegran too, to help me sleep but I didn't want it bc it would KNOCK ME OUT-good thing looking back-that I didn't get it). I asked for an Epi, thinking it would probably take a little bit to get and to take effect.... They checked me and I was 5-6cm's and her head was at 0 station. I got up and the pain in my belly only allowed me to sit in a chair (wow, what a difference!)
**I wanna point out to Bethany that this part was critical.... It took the cx's pain from all over my belly and centered them lower and focused down**

I got up and back into bed bc altho we tried, we could not get the monitor to stay in place and monitor Claire's HR. I knew this was extremely important from prev experiences and when the nurse told me to get in bed, I practically raced to get there bc we could not get a HR at all...scared me!!!

My parents and one of my sisters arrived soon afterwards and I remember breathing thru several contractions while they were there (not for practice, but bc I needed to). I also started shaking uncontrollably and shivering, teeth chattering. Weird. It scared me and I asked Russell to get my nurse. She came in, my parents and sister left, and checked me. I remember her saying the Ani-Doc was on his way (was in the O.R.) and if I was progressed further, did I still want the Epi. I told her to check me and I would let her know. Altho the pain was there, it was not so intense, I couldn't handle it...

**Within minutes of her checking me, she hung a bag of fluid and the pain was so intense, I was almost crying but breathing thru them with Russell's help. (when I say minutes, I mean-5-10 minutes!!!!)**

The Ani-Doc got there, ushered Russell out with me grabbing his hand and begging them to let him stay (they refused). My nurse (Kristin) told me to sit up on the edge of the bed with my legs dangling, hug a pillow and put my chin to my chest. She got up close to me and put her arms around me. I made a comment that the only thing I had to focus on were her breasts and it was a good thing she didn't have a low cut shirt on. (They thought that was funny!)
The Ani-Doc (who's name I do NOT remember) tried several times to get the needle in....he kept asking me to push my back out but the cx's were so strong, I could barely breathe thru them. I remember saying "F**K" and "Gawd-D" (which I NEVER say) and apologizing for both.... I remember telling her I felt like I needed to push, or that I had pressure (not sure which) and trying to breathe...I was blowing/panting (good thing I've watched A Baby Story a few times!!!)

Kristin said they were gonna have to get me to lay on my side for the Epi.... The moment I leaned sideways, my eyes BUGGED OUT and I told her I had to push. She told me to blow out candles-that if I could blow out birthday candles, I couldn't push. I tried. I really tried, but at a 45 degree side angle, I tried blowing but ended up pushing/grunting. I KNOW Claire's head was either RIGHT there or close to it. I remember most of everything....I remember her pushing the call button and telling them to get Dr. B, telling them to hurry, that she did not really wanna deliver this baby but she might have to. I remember her telling them to get Dad.... He was out in the waiting room bc of the Epi!!!!By the time they had me turned from my side to the front of the bed, I had already pushed at least 2 times. (Keep in mind, this all happened lightningly fast!!!!!) The moment I was on my back, I pushed and felt her head-I remember thinking, OH GAWD-I'm gonna tear from one end to the other bc there was no time for a perineal massage-and I'd had that w/both the other kiddos. I remember thinking about the cord being wrapped around the baby's neck and that she wouldn't know to think of that bc she didn't know (she-Kristin). They asked me to push only ONE TIME-and with that request, I screamed. OMG, I screamed so loud, I put my hand over my own mouth to keep other ppl from being scared...... and then, she was out. I thought ..... OMG, Russell missed it. He missed it.

There were so many ppl in the room. Whoever delivered me (later found out it was a different doc, they had pulled from the L&D floor!) handed her up, didn't tell me if she was a he/she. My hands were on her, I asked. "It's a Girl." FLOORED ME. I was so expecting a boy bc everyone kept telling us they thought I was having a boy....

I remember asking over and over if she was ok. And then he was there beside me. He'd come in RIGHT AS THEY delivered her shoulders. I was so thankful he saw it. I was so thankful he was there, even if not right there with me.I remember my doc being there in time to cut the cord (Russell wanted to but bc it was so fast they didnt' have time to even stop to think of it)....Russell being at my side, telling how beautiful she was. She was screaming. I heard her Apgar scores: 8 & 9. I told him to go to her, but he wanted to be with me. I made him go to her, bc I was terrified (bc of Tayler) that something was gonna be wrong. I remember Dr. B asking my nurse if there was a Nuchal Cord. NO!!!!!! That's when I cried and realized she was gonna be ok.

I still had the shakes. Dr. B had a rough time delivering the placenta and that was painful, but not unbearable...... kinda gross!!!

Altho I'd asked for the Epi, I'm glad I didn't get it. It would not have made a difference anyway... I still can't believe how fast I progressed. Altho I started at 8am, I would say my labor was from 3/4(ish)-8:13. 4 hours of true labor? Roughly. The pain was intense, the "BURN" was there, but it was all worth it. AND GET THIS:
I did NOT have a SINGLE STITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

There's more to the story, but the end result....
I had a natural labor (except of course for the Pit/IV), natural delivery and got to bring out li'l girl home the same day I was released.

Can't wait to see all the babies..... I feel great. I have loads of help.... and Claire is a beautiful, great baby. She sleeps alot, spits up a little-had to switch her formula to Soy *update* Had to switch to Alimentum-still spits up-but is no longer throwing up as she was on Soy and regular. And it's terrific to be home!! and did u notice-no more green?
October 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That was great! Congratulations!!

October 21st, 2007, 06:57 PM
Linds
Congratulations. You did great.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search