My Natural Childbirth with Sophia Kathryn Grace

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To natural childbirth stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
MamaBx3
5 days before my EDD, On Sunday August 5th, 2007 , at 8:00 am, I rolled over in my bed and my water broke!
(same experience I had with my DD!)

I immediately woke J up and said "HEY ! My water broke!" He jumped up and said "OMG! What do we have to do !?!"
I started walking up the stairs and fell ! Skinned my knee I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, put my makeup on, put my hair up and went back downstairs to get dressed. My mom was going to watch Vae while we went to the hospital , and then once I was in active labor she was going to call my aunt and cousin to stay with her.
I was GBS+ so I had to get the antibiotics every 4 hours until I gave birth. I wasn't thrilled.
Anyways, I got there and they hooked me up. They did my IV and checked me. I was 2 cm. I was HAPPY because I went fairly fast with Vae.. I thought for sure I'd do the same with this baby.
They came in and checked me again around 9:30 am. Still 2 cm. They told me to get walking ! I wasn't feeling any cramping or anything yet.. So they told me they wanted me to move to speed things up. I walked up and down that darn hall about 100 times They checked me again around 11 am and I was still 2 cm. I was getting a bit discouraged .. I wasn't feeling ANYTHING. The doctor that was on-call wasn't my family doctor. I was really upset about this.. He told me I could go home and come back when I was having contractions. I said "Uh no ... I went from 3 cm to Fully dilated in 10 minutes with my daughter .. I am NOT leaving !" He started talking to me about "tomorrow" and if I wasn't progressing he'd give me pitocin .. I was livid. I remember saying "I am having this baby TODAY!" They kept putting me on and taking me off the machines to monitor contractions... nothing was happening.
He told me the best thing to do was walk .. Well I was TIRED of walking.. But I did it anyways. Around 1:30 pm I started feeling a really weird feeling.. It wasn't pain, just pressure. I kept having to crouch down in the hallway and hold onto the "birthing handles" on the wall Something was DEFINITELY going on. I was excited !! I thought "YES ! She is going to be born soon !!" I kept walking .. the feeling kept getting more and more intense. It started feeling more like a pressure mixed with pain .. I decided to go back into my room. I had to lay down.
It started getting more and more intense .. It was horrible. I couldn't handle it .. I was screaming and yelling.. cursing - the whole bit. I begged them to check me .. Something HAD to be happening !! They hooked me up to the monitor again and NOTHING !!!! I was NOT contracting !!! I was so frustrated ! What the HECK was happening !??!!??!! The pain was brutal .. I begged for SOMETHING ! I wanted her OUT of me .. I couldn't take it ! They told me there was no point in getting an epi because by the time I delivered it would be warn off ! I was so upset. . I was in so much pain. They decided to leave me hooked up .. I was NOT impressed. A big elastic thing with 2 hard plastic things pressed hard against my tummy was the last thing I wanted at that point ! A nurse came in with a pencil and a notepad. Every time I would show discomfort she would write down the time, and how long it last for. The monitor wasn't showing any sign of contractions. Not even the slightest tightening. I was worried.. If it wasn't contractions . what was it ? She got me to stand up and rock .. With J behind me.. Well no way - that made things WAY worse. I had to sit down .. it helped with the pressure. At 9:00 pm I was so exhausted.. All I wanted was to be 10 cm !!! I begged my nurse to check me .. she told me not to get upset if I was still 2 cm .. I hadn't been having contractions.. which meant my cervix wasn't progressing.
She put on her glove and went in .. I looked at her , she was wide eyed. I said "can you feel anything?" she said "Ohhh honey ! I can feel the baby's head ! You are 9 cm !!!!!!!" I was so thrilled ! I could PUSH !! All I wanted to do since 2:00 pm was PUSHHH this kid out of me !!!!!! I wanted the pain to just GO away. They asked me if I could walk to the birthing room.. I looked at them like they were crazy. They wheeled me out of my room and down the hall. I was SCREAMING at the top of my lungs. My legs were spread probably about as far apart as they could get. Other women who were in labor were looking at me like "OMG THAT IS GOING TO BE ME!" their SO's were looking at me in pure terror.
My bed got STUCK in the door frame of the labor room .. I put my hand down below and I could feel her head ! I said "I AM PUSHING !" the nurse said "WAIT!!" The doctor wasn't even in the room yet .. He was on a different floor !!!!
They got me in .. I was yelling that I needed to push. Another doctor came in and was getting suited up .. the other doctor that had been tending to me came flying in the room ! He had his gloved hand on my daughter's head as his other hand was getting gloved by the nurse.
He told me to push. I pushed once.. It felt STRANGE ! I was like "what the hell ! This doesn't feel right!" All that was going through my head was "OMG THIS KID IS HUGE ! I AM GOING TO RIP FROM HOLE TO HOLE !!" He told me to stop pushing, the cord was so tight around her neck. she was blue.. he could barely get his finger in to cut it loose. I looked at my mom and J . they looked horrified - I knew something wasn't right. He told me I could go ahead and push again. I pushed and the pressure was insane. I thought I was tearing .. He pulled her out and the nurses took her right away. I was so scared .. I didn't know what was going on. She finally started breathing.
Then I learned WHY I was in so much pain, both during my labor and during her birth ------ She came out completely face up. He told me that the pain and pressure I was feeling was her moving from face down to face up .. I had no real contractions , It was just her moving from the GOOD delivery position to the bad bad baaaad delivery position It was awful.
I didn't tear at all .. But it sure felt like it !

At 9:23 pm, Sophia Kathryn Grace was born. Weighing 6 lbs 14 oz. 19 inches long. Her head was so tiny ... she would have been lovely to deliver if she had been in the right position
*pics removed and put in the NCB photos*
January 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Wow! That's crazy that you progressed so much and their machines didn't even pick it up. It just goes to show though that we know our bodies better than they do. I wish Bryson was that small. I had second degree tears that still aren't healed completely.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 12th, 2008, 07:17 AM
MamaBx3
How big was Bryson ?
Ouch !

* eta ~ I just read your birth story ! I can't even imagine giving birth to a 9lber *
January 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Yeah, I still can't believe how big he was. We had an ultrasound the week before he was born where they estimated his weight to be 9 lbs 5 oz and I said HOLY CRAP! The tech told me to make sure that I wrote that in his baby book.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 12th, 2008, 10:34 AM
MamaBx3
ouuuuccchhhh !
January 30th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Ive hear stories liek that before - where the machines weren't registering the contractions! good think you knew to trust your body! Your story was great! I cant believe she flipped the WRONG way! maybe she did it because she was trying to get untangled from the cord?
February 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You had a face up baby without drugs??? You are my hero.

May 27th, 2008, 07:07 AM
MamaBx3
It was awful to say the least I am praying that this baby will be born face down ! (and a tiny head would be greatly appreciated )
June 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyInWaiting Send a message via MSN to LadyInWaiting
I can relate to your pain! The nurse i had knew DD was sunny side up and worked for about an hour to turn her. Thank God.. Or it might have been way worse

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search