How to survive/what to expect from a D&C

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To D&C Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since most women do not know what a D&C is, this information may be very useful if you and your dr are considering doing one to help complete the m/c process. These 2 websites were the 2 best that I could find for now.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art21999.asp
This is a great article on the pros and cons of having the procedure.

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4470,00.html
Another article covering the the procedure and what to expect.

On a personal note, after we were diagnosed as "in active abortion", before they gave me the morphine, I told my husband that I did not want to go home and "wait it out". I thought that it would torment me. I had already dealt w/ spotting/vaginal bleeding for a week and it was nerve wrecking to go to the bathroom EVERY SINGLE TIME. I didn't want to go through that again. I told DH that if a D&C was offered and I was not able to communicate my approval for the procedure that he was to approve it for me. W/i 2 hours I was being wheeled to the OR for the procedure. DH was right next to me the whole time. Once we got to the doors, they led him away. I began to cry knowing what was about to occur. The idea that my baby would be pulled out of me was heartbreaking. I knew that this was for the best since our angel was already in Heaven.

They wheeled me into the OR and I can remember putting my arms out to be strapped down, that was all I remember. The next thing I knew I was waking up. Well, not really b/c I couldn't keep my eyes open for longer than a second or 2. Finally, when I was able, the nurses were very kind. They knew what had just happened. All I wanted was my hubby and to go home. Not to mention that I was starving.

In the end, it was not a difficult choice for me. I knew it was best for me to not deal w/ having to go home and wait. I am an impatient person and a very emotional person. I don't think I could have survived the wait.

December 11th, 2005, 10:57 AM
soontobemommyto3
the best web site i've found about pregnancy loss is:

http://www.pregnancyloss.info

has lots of great information
December 11th, 2005, 11:15 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry you were awake Astrid, that you have to remember........

The decision for a D&C was easy for me. They told me it was just like the abortion I had had except this time it was not by choice, the baby was dead. My doctor told me that it would probaby be much more tramatic for me to continue dealing with the pain and then wait for nature to take its course.

She said that she was going to take good care of me, that I would not remember and not feel any pain. She was right. They gave me 3 valium and a phinergan for nausea. They started talking to me about what they were going to do and within 3 minutes I was passed out. They gave me general anestesia after I passed out just in case I woke up. One of my guy friends had come to help me. The next thing I remember is 5 hours later being in his bed at his house with a cool washcloth on my forehead. I am glad that I wont remember any of the procedure itself. Losing the baby is painful enough.

I have to say a Huge Thank you to my friend Chris. He took care of me and my children for 2 days while I recovered. He cooked and did not let me do a thing. He played with the boys and kept them busy while I slept and cried.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

December 11th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I am so sorry you were awake Astrid, that you have to remember........

The decision for a D&C was easy for me. They told me it was just like the abortion I had had except this time it was not by choice, the baby was dead. My doctor told me that it would probaby be much more tramatic for me to continue dealing with the pain and then wait for nature to take its course.

She said that she was going to take good care of me, that I would not remember and not feel any pain. She was right. They gave me 3 valium and a phinergan for nausea. They started talking to me about what they were going to do and within 3 minutes I was passed out. They gave me general anestesia after I passed out just in case I woke up. One of my guy friends had come to help me. The next thing I remember is 5 hours later being in his bed at his house with a cool washcloth on my forehead. I am glad that I wont remember any of the procedure itself. Losing the baby is painful enough.

I have to say a Huge Thank you to my friend Chris. He took care of me and my children for 2 days while I recovered. He cooked and did not let me do a thing. He played with the boys and kept them busy while I slept and cried.[/b]
Chris sounds like a good friend...I am glad you had him!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
December 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Missy ~ I wasn't actually awake for the procedure. I had general anesthesia so I was out right after they strapped my arms down. Thankfully I also didn't remember much but that whole night was a very traumatic experience.

You are lucky to be blessed w/ wonderful friends. You need to do something special for your friend.

Quote:
the best web site i've found about pregnancy loss is:

http://www.pregnancyloss.info

has lots of great information[/b]
Susan ~ I am so glad you posted that site. I found it when I was recovering from the m/c and D&C but couldn't find it again to save my life!

December 12th, 2005, 04:18 AM
I am so glad Chris has turned out to be such a good friend. We have a relationship now where we would do anything for each other. We are always there for each other.

We used to be in a relationship. We used to live together a year ago. We went through some rough times. He knows like none of my other friends the loss I experienced and I am so greatful he has been here for me. We let the past go, found our common interests and became best of friends.

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

December 12th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Veteran
I just wanted to add that I like astrid, remeber going into the room for the D&C and the doctor and nurses around me and then falling off to sleep. A side note I had told them I would be hard to put to sleep and in the room they told me to count backwards I made it to one and said "Now What" at that point they realized I was telling the truth and they needed to give me more.

I also wanted to say my first d&c was pretty easy not much pain and no bleeding at all. My second I had bad cramping and bleeding. The bleeding had slowed down almost just spotting by the third day so I went out with my daughter. I started feeling kind of fuzzy in the head while at the mall, but I thought it was just emotions. Well it wasn't I was hemorging(sp?) and need to be seen right away. Luckly my mom had met me at the mall and was able to drive and be with my daughter. What had happened was a piece of placenta was left and my body was trying to expell it. I had ultrasounds, more cramping medication and strong antibiotics so I wouldn't need another d&C. Luckly it all worked. But for four days after that I had bad cramps and heavy bleeding and had to rest as any time I did something the bleeding got worse.

Sorry to be so graphic, but I wanted you to know that sometimes you can have complications.
December 14th, 2005, 12:48 AM
beansmommy you brought up a good point, complications can arise. It is surgery and we need to allow our bodies to rest and recover.

December 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM
HealyLady
Quote:
We used to be in a relationship. We used to live together a year ago. We went through some rough times. He knows like none of my other friends the loss I experienced and I am so greatful he has been here for me. We let the past go, found our common interests and became best of friends.[/b]
Hmmm, he sounds like the right guy for you!
January 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM
sweetie4178's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to sweetie4178
I was bleeding a week before my D&C. Then finally it happened. I went to the bathroom, and i knew it was the baby. i was 9 weeks pregnant. I bleed profusely. i had to just sit on the toilet. It was the most horrible day of my life. I called my dr, then went to the emergency room wearing a towel between my legs. The brought me up to labor and delivery, where my dr was. that was so sad. I was just like "i'm not suppose to be here for this!" i was crying. The rolled me into the OR, knocked me out. when i woke up, i was just glad to not be bleeding so much. There was another lady in the recovery room who just had twins. The father asked my husband what we had. it was so sad.

April 14th, 2006, 05:09 PM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
I would like to share my personal story for everyone. I went into my first u/s appointment and was so excited to see my little donut. I remember that day I had some cramping, but it wasn't that bad and i thought it was normal seeing as how ever since I found out i was pg I was having pulling cramping pains on my side. We went in, and they put the thing right up to my stomach and my heart just sank. I knew right away that it wouldn't be my time to be a mom. I should have been 9 weeks and the baby only measure to 6 weeks, with no heartbeat. Also, the sack the baby was in was shaped really weird, almost like a tear drop. They told me they were going to call my doctor, and that she would call me back and we would go from there.

When my doctor called, I could hardly speak. She explained that I had miscarried but my body hadn't realized it yet, and that I can either have a natural m/c or a D&C. I chose to have a D&C, mostly because I just didn't want to deal with having a dead baby inside me for long. In two days I went in for my procedure. Oddly enough, I work at the hospital where it was done, so all the nurses knew me. They took excellent care of me. The IV they gave me hurt a little at first, but soon enough they gave me some Hydromorphone and I was feeling pretty good. I remember getting wheeled into the OR room and was put on the table. Then they had me breath in deeply and that is all I remember. I have no memory of what the room looked like, what instruments they used, or anything. The next thing I remember after getting put out was waking back up in the recovery area.

I bled for 3 weeks. I think I bled so much because I kept on irritating my cervix. Anyways, it was a total of 24 days of no bleeding before I got my period.

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
May 27th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a D&E yesterday and it was uncomplicated. I arrived at the hospital and was put in a room and they atarted an IV. That was a little painful since they couldn't find a decent vein and they ended up putting it in my wrist and I bleed a lot from it.

I was then rolled into the OR and I looked around and was moved to the operating table. The surgeon came up to me and asked me my name and her name and why I was there (it's hospital policy and ensures that they have the right person for the right procedure). Then I started to cry because I knew this was the end of this pg and a nurse came over and held my hand and wiped my tears away and said they would take excellent care of me.

Then I woke up in the recovery room. I was given some morphine and when I was rolled into the Day Surgery ward I was asked if I was feeling okay. I told the nurse that I was still very sore and the morphine didn't do anything. She then looked at my IV bag and noticed that I had been given something to cause my uterus to contract and was why I was in some pain. I was given 2 Tylenol 3's (which don't do much for me) and I didn't feel any relief until the IV was taken out.

A day later and I feel like my old self. No cramping and some mild bleeding.

All in all it was a painless and simple procedure. I've had 4 surgeries now and this was the easiest physical recovery, but emotionally it's another story.
May 30th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Hoping's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was very nervous about the D&C so I will post my story to help anyone else out

I got the hospital and filled out the paper work then was put in a room. I put on the hospital gown then a very nice nurse came in and checked my blood pressure and all that good stuff. After all that, she put an IV in my hand. That hurt a little, but it wasn't that bad. The stuff that they gave me in the IV was like Gatorade just to keep me hydrated. Then the nurse came in and gave me to be what she describe as "two margaritas." They gave me that just to keep me calm and happy. I am very sensitive to meds, so that kept me happy for a while. Then they came in and said it was time. I started crying because I was so scared and the nurse told me they would take really really good care of me and patted my hand. I got the operating room and moved myself from the bed to the table. That room freaked me out and I cried a little more. I didn't want to have to see the operating room, it just made it all too real. The nurse asked if I was ok, and I said "I am just scared" then the whole room went black and I woke up in recovery. I had some cramps so they gave me some morphine then gave me 600mg of motrin and I was nauseated so they gave me stuff for that took care of it. The anesthesia made me very drunk. I kept talking and talking and talking. I did not shut up for an hour and a half. I was talking in this funny little voice and most of my words were pretty slurred. I took me a long time before I thought I could stand. I was ready to go home so I called in the nurse and she told DH to help me get dressed, then I had to pee before I left. So I stood up and that made me sick and I threw up. Then I finished getting dressed and SLOWLY walked to the bathroom and peed, then they put me in a wheel chair and took me to the car. I was still dizzy and still talking in the little voice. When I got home, the anesthesia was wearing off a little more and I started to talk normally. I kept getting sick every time I walked so I threw up like 2 or 3 more times and was still really weak. I was bleeding a little but not bad. I went to bed that night and woke up and felt much better the next day. I wasn't bleeding at all by then but I was still weak and my stomach hurt from throwing up. I had the surgery 4 days ago and I am actually bleeding more today than I have yet. I have had some cramping but it isn't anything that motrin won't fix. So there is my story. I hope that helps anyone that needs it.

Our Two Miracles!
Alexis Jade 5/28/08 and Evan Russell 6/28/10
Always Remembering our 3 angels in heaven
June 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Shelly0486 Send a message via Yahoo to Shelly0486
I had my first D&C on Jan 25, 2006. I think the procedure was about 45 minutes or so. I was knocked out. I bleed and cramped very heavily for a week after the D&C. After that I stopped, and shortly conceived this baby

Baby#1 In Heaven----January 25, 2006
Baby#3 In Heaven----September 27, 2007
R.I.P.
(Mom) Carol- 5.13.50-10.01.05
(Dad) Ted- 11.06.45-10.04.01
I love you guys & miss you terrible.
Taleika Jean was born August 24, 2006 at 27.5 weeks along. Born 2.2 lbs and 13 3/8 in long
Taleika you are my Miracle Baby and you are what makes me, me.
June 24th, 2006, 06:29 PM
PiperJRL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to PiperJRL Send a message via MSN to PiperJRL Send a message via Yahoo to PiperJRL
I don't talk about my m/c. I don't know why but reading these makes me feel that I should share and maybe help me in some way. See, I had and sometimes feel that God let me down. I didn't understand why He would give me this life to bring into the world, then take it from me so soon. Like He was saying, "Oh, bring this child into the world.", then saying, "Nevermind, I changed my mind.".

I became pregnant in May of 2002. I had felt cramping at the end of the month but no AF. About mid-June I went to a pregnancy center and they confirmed I was preg. I found a Dr. and started my prenatal care. I had an appointment July 3rd and that's when I heard the heartbeat for the first time. Since I was really unsure about my AF dates, they scheduled me for another appointment on July 24th. I went in and they couldn't hear anything. So they made a u/s app. for a week later. I went in and there was nothing. No fetal heart motion. I was supposed to be 13 weeks, but the baby was only measuring 10. Somewhere from the time I heard a heart until the 24th, the baby had passed away. I stayed at the office for 2 hours, unable to drive I was so bad off. They asked me what I wanted to do but I didn't know what they had meant. I had never had this happen to me. They told me I could go home and let nature take its course and pass the baby myself or I could have a D&C. They suggested the latter seeing as how I took the news in the first place and it would have probably saved me alot more. I asked what could have caused this, they said it was nothing I did or didn't do and I was told that the heart had just stopped. I was scheduled for it on August 7th, 2002. I was all alone. The father was at my house looking after my 3 yr old son so he couldn't be there. My family did not know of what I went through, but my mother did. I went in, they strapped me down and asked me to count backwards. I remember saying 7 and that was it. Next thing I know, I'm in a room with a nurse over me asking if I needed anything. I stayed there till I was able to call my mom and ask her to come get me. I had drove myself there so wasn't allowed to drive home. I still wasn't going to tell the rest of my family because I didn't see the point. I wasn't pregnant anymore and there was nothing they could do. My mom called my dad a week later to see how I was cause I hadn't called her. She told him what I had just been through and was pissed I couldn't confide in him about something like this. He grieved with me.

So, when I got preg with Ricky, I was scared the whole time. I went to the ER for little things that were normal. I even went when I first felt him move. I just was NOT going to let this happen again, even though there was nothing I could do to prevent it.

Even though I know in my heart it was not my fault, I still feel like maybe, just maybe there was something I could have done.

</div>
September 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM
cymple's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wrote a lengthy message under D & C experiences, but I would like to write more on here about the actual procedure. I know when I knew I had to have it, I came online to find out more about it - so maybe this will help someone else know more what to expect. It happened this morning, so it is very fresh in my head.

Once I checked in, they had me put on a gown and then person after person came in to do different things & all ask the same questions over and over and over. (when was the last you ate? are you allergic to anything? do you have any questions? the standard). You aren't supposed to eat 6 hours before the procedure.

The nurse then started an IV. It actually wasn't bad at all because she gave me a tiny little prick with some medicine in it to numb my hand, and then started the IV. I hadn't had that happen before, but it made the IV painless.

The anasthesiologist (I know I butchered the spelling of that, sorry) came and gave me 2 options. I could have the spinal block, where I would be awake during the procedure but not care what was going on, or I could be completely put to sleep. From what I remember he said that the benefits of the spinal block were I wouldn't be as nauseated, my throat wouldn't hurt, my mouth wouldn't be as dry and I would stay awake. He said the cons of it were a possible headache and having to stay at the hospital recovery room longer. I opted to go completely out - I wanted absolutely no recollection of anything. I told him that after a recent shoulder surgery, I became very sick afterwards, and he said he would give me medicine to keep that from happening.

They allowed my mom and DH to come in and stay with me for a little while at that point. My OB then came in and talked about everything and answered a lot of questions. He was absolutely wonderful... very kind, patient and understanding. I couldn't ask for a better MD. He said that his wife m/c'd their first child also, and he was able to sympathize. Actually all of the medical staff there were very kind to me. Many said they were sorry I was there - which would make me tear up everytime they said it, but I appreciated it.

Then the nurses came back in. They gave me 2 medicines that I took by mouth. I think they said one was an antacid for nausea (in liquid form - yuck!!) and a Motrin I think. And then the nurse gave me some medicine to relax me (she said it will feel like I've had a few Margaritas, and I immediately felt that way). I said my goodbyes to my mom and DH and they wheeled me to the OR. I was tearing up all along the way, and I remember one lady rubbing my leg the whole time and saying it would be over soon and it was OK. Again, I appreciated that.

I do remember going into the OR. I remember a lot of people being in there and looking at me, then I don't remember anything at all until I woke up in the recovery room. I don't remember anything about being set up for the surgery (no recollection of stirrups or anything like that, which was just fine by me). They said that they gave me an additional RH shot since I am A-... they had given me one when I first started spotting 2 weeks before, but said this was a "just in case" one.

In the recovery room, once I woke up, they asked me what my pain level was and what not. The main thing was that it was burning a little, very mild cramping. I also felt like I had to have a bowel movement (sorry, TMI), but they said that was normal and it was from the instrumentation used in the surgery. They gave me some ginger ale and a darvocet for pain. Then they allowed DH back and the nurse gave all post-op instructions and prescriptions to him. They let me go to the bathroom and get dressed and then I was on my way home.

Once home I slept for a few hours. I felt like eating immediately. I am still having mild cramping - worst just when I sit down. I am also bleeding like a period... thank God no more clots or anything like that right now. I will take another Darvocet soon and go to sleep for the night.

Thats about it. All in all, it has been a horrible experience for me but I know that having the D&C was the right decision for me. I couldn't bear having the baby, dead, in my stomach and feeling like I was losing it bit by by. I think that this gave me some closure. If anyone reading this every has any questions, feel free to ask.

Check out Drew & Eliza's blog: http://drewandeliza.blogspot.com
August 27th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I found out at my first doctor visit that the ultrasound I had 5 days earlier showed that I had a blood clot under the placenta. My doctor told me it could mean that I could miscarry. He told me all I could do was pray and take it easy. I had a follow up appointment when I should have been 11 weeks. There was no heartbeat and the baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks. I was told it was a missed abortion. My body didn't recognize that my baby had died and i was still having all the symptoms. I had a d&c the next day. I continued bleeding and passing tissue and blood clots and my doctor told me I needed to have a second d&c two weeks after my first one. I am now at 16 days past my second d&c and a month past my first one and I am still bleeding and spotting off and on. My doctor did a blood test and my hcg level is at 70. I am so scared something is wrong because there is still placental tissue left inside of me. this is the hardest thing I have ever gone through and it just feels like its never ending. I don't know how to move past this especially when my body wont heal. I am heartbroken over losing my baby and I feel so alone with it. Everyone tells me its for the best and I have to accept it. But that advice comes from people who haven't gone through this. Its not easy to just accept and get over. it was a little life inside my body. my little life. a life that is over now. I am so blessed because I have three healthy children, but that doesn't make losing this baby any easier. it makes me think what this baby would have looked like and acted like. who it would have been.....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search