i had to have TWO d&c's!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To D&C Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
so, i was 3 months along and everything was going fine. then i started hurting and spotting so I went to see my ob. he assured me that was normal but he'd take a listen. there was no heartbeat. u/s confirmed that my baby had stopped developing. he suggested a d&c which i ws unusure about. i felt like, what if my baby is really fine and i let them do this? they assured me several times that this pregnancy could not be saved. so i agreed to the d&c. went in Thursday 3/5/09 8:00 am, had the "procedure" and then when i woke up i asked to hold my baby. i KNEW i couldn't, but i guess it was just the drugs talking. I was very emotional. I calmed down, rested a while, and then was released to go home with pain meds and some pills to stop me from hemmoraging. For the next few days I was in terrible pain, worse than period cramps, and bleeding more than I expected. So I went in on Wednesday 3/11/09 to see my OB.

i ended up spending the night in the hospital, they did lab work to check several things and see if i needed a blood transfusion b/c they were concerned i was losing too much blood. another pelvic exam and another u/s, showed i still had tissue or "product retained" as they called it. my cervix had closed and there was still tissue and a huge blod clot that were trapped in there, causing infection which explain the pain i had. i never thought of that b/c i didn't have fever and thta is what they say is a sign of infection. so they prepped me for surgery again first thing in the morning. Thursday, exactly one week after my first d&c, i had a second d&c. i already knew what to expect since i'd just gone through this, so it was definitely not as hard as the first time. Though when i woke up i was still just as emotional, asking about the baby and if it was a girl...of course they couldn't tell me that, but again, i suppose it was the drugs talking.

since i had spent the night in the hospital, they brought me back to my room for a few hours so i could rest and have lunch. then i was released with more pain pills and something different for the bleeding. i feel MUCH different this time, not hurting nearly as much but still bleeding heavily, through my clothes and onto blankets. i believe they tell most women they will bleed the same amount as a period. obviously for me that is not true. i am now on bedrest for 3 days, can't drive/have sex/pick up anything over 10 lbs including my toddler, for 2 whole weeks....

when you have a d&c, if there is ANY pain or bleeding more than a period, it's prob not normal (like i thought) please go in and see your OB asap, it could mean something is terribly wrong! My OB says it only happens 1% of the time, that usually if there is anything left it passes naturally in the next few days, but 1% of the time, your cervix closes back up and then the problems begin.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search