Still bleeding 6 weeks after D&C... Questions!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To D&C Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I'm looking for feedback. Answers, opinions, suggestions, your experiences, and just someone to listen to me.

My Story
I'm 19, married, and lost my first pregnancy almost 7 weeks ago. I was 11 weeks when I had my first ultrasound. I found out my baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks and had no heartbeat. We immediately got moved to another room to discuss options. My doctor didn't give me the option of waiting it out. She told me he could prescribe me pills to start the passing or schedule a D&C. I wanted to do it at home but she didn't believe I was strong enough and she said I could still do it but really pushed the D&C so me and my husband agreed it was the best option. The only available time they had was the next day and she wouldn't let me push it back until the next week. So I had my D&C on 1/25/12. I will take this moment to apologize for all the TMI that will follow. I had really pink watery discharge the night of my D&C and the next three days. Then there was a day and a half of spotting red but there wasn't much. Then I started heavy red/black bleeding for almost a week with painful cramps and passing clots. Then it was brown spotting for over a week. It got so light, it was only when i wiped but at 3 weeks and 1 day after the D&C I started bleeding red again. It felt like a period but I called my doctor's office just to be sure. I was told by a nurse that it was most likely my period and that I could have bleeding anytime after the D&C. It lasted almost a week and then went to brown spotting again. Sometime around 5 weeks (give or take a few days, I can't see my calendar right now) I started bleeding red again and that lasted almost a week. Then there was two days of brown spotting and then it became red again with a day of thick black/dark red bleeding. Today would be day 6 of red bleeding. I called my doctor when it started red again and she scheduled me an appointment for Friday.

My HCG has been dropping. At three weeks past D&C, it was 126. Then at 4 weeks it was 53. At 5 weeks it was 25 and my doctor told me to go back in two weeks so I go again Tuesday.

My husband told me that after the surgery, the doctor had told him that my surgery went very well. There was no complications and she had gotten everything. I haven't had any cramps since the week after the procedure. I haven't been running a fever at all. The bleeding has never completely stopped. When it wasn't red, it was brown spotting. Also, I've never had to change my pad more than 4 to 5 times a day.

Two weeks after the D&C, I had a follow up appointment. My doctor just asked how I was feeling and told me to wait 4 to 6 months before trying to get pregnant again. She also gave me a paper to help track my period and scheduled an appointment for me in May. She never checked my cervix or felt my uterus.

My pregnancy was unplanned and my periods before I got pregnant were irregular. I didn't know I was pregnant until almost 7 weeks. My husband had told me I was and to go take a test. I told him it would be negative but I was wrong.

Ok, I think I mentioned everything I feel I should right now. So does anyone have any idea why I'm still bleeding? Could it be retained tissue even though the doctor was sure she got everything and my HCG has been dropping? Could my body just be taking longer to heal? Anyone else go through something similar or know someone who has? Any thoughts are welcome and feel free to share you experience(s). Thank you for reading and sorry it's so long!
March 14th, 2012, 09:29 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there, and I'm sorry to have to welcome you to this board, it can feel so heartbreaking to lose a little one, whether you were trying to get pregnant or not.

As for the bleeding, my D&C experience I didn't have that...I was miscarrying and was allowed to try at home, but 2 days into it started gushing blood and had to go to the ER. They did an emergency D&C to stop the bleeding, and then I just had very light pink/red spotting for maybe 3 or 4 days, then just a hint of light brown spotting and then nothing for the rest of the month until exactly a month after the D&C I had what I realized was my period. It was mostly normal although lighter and almost twice as long as usual. I would attribute this to the hormones from the IUD I have to have. I can't get pregnant for a total of 6 months after the miscarriage thanks to getting a blood clot in my lung after my hosptialization. The night I went home I had chest pains and went back. Anyway, so they have me on blood thinners and I will be on them for the rest of the 6 months, after that I should be able to get pregnant again.

Just a tip...I would re-post your entire story on the main page, the one that comes up when you click on "Pregnancy Loss", and just click on the "new topic" button and post it there. I posted my D&C experience here and never got any replies, but the board host and other posters usually reply pretty quickly on the main board. You're welcome to read my D&C experience on here too as well as other ladies' experiences.

I'm a bit baffled by the bleeding you're having, have you thought about seeing a different doctor for a second opinion?
Another thing is that with an uncomplicated m/c, most doctors advise you that you can try again after you have one normal period, so I'm unsure as to why you have to wait 4-6 months to try again. I would ask someone else about this too if you want to try sooner. Take as much time as you need to heal emotionally and physically though.
Also it makes me angry that you didn't feel you had the choice to m/c at home, and how does the doctor know whether you're "strong enough"? It's not her business what you chose so long as you're not in danger medically. Personally I preferred m/c at home because if I had had an elective D&C, for me, I would have felt like I was killing the baby, even though there was no heartbeat I just couldn't accept it yet and wanted to hold out hope that the baby would be ok somehow. Nature decided otherwise with me having the emergency situation, but I feel ok with that because by that time the bleeding was very heavy and I knew it was all over. In a way, it was a relief to get it over with, I had just been waiting at home to really start bleeding and it was an emotional roller coaster.
Something else that I didn't like about the D&C is, I sort of wanted to say goodbye to my little baby, who they measured at around 7 weeks even though I thought I was further along. (I think, like yours, the baby just stopped growing.) I wanted to try to watch for the amniotic sac to pass so I could look at the baby and say goodbye. I never got that chance, "fate" or "nature" took it away from me. So in that way a D&C can make you feel more sad.

I hope you continue to post in here as needed. You'll probably see posts from me in the main area too, I'm still working through the emotions of this. It's been about a month & a half for me. Physically I'm all recovered, but the emotional recovery takes time.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 15th, 2012, 06:03 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I am so sorry your having to go through this. I really do think you should get a second opinion. I do not think it's normal for you to have been bleeding for that long. There could be different reasons for it but I do think that you should be checked out. It never hurts to get a second opinion.

Another thing I will tell you is that if you feel like something is not right 9 times out of 10 it isn't. You know your body better than anyone else. Sometimes you have to push to get the care that you need but it's well worth it when you get the results.

I also wanted to tell you to check out the main part of pregnancy loss as well. The other ladies can hopefully help you even more. Please keep us posted.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

March 25th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Thank you ladies for your posts. I had to cancel my doctor's appointment because of work issues. I rescheduled and have it tomorrow. I will repost this story or something similar to it on the main board. My doctor's office has been doing everything they can to get me in when I call now. I think it was just their answering service that was having issues (wouldn't be the first time). I have thought about seeing another doctor I can't see males. I tried once and I freaked out on him. I don't know if it was nerves or what but I never felt comfortable with it. There are only a handful of female doctors in my area and only two gynecologists. Mine is the only female OB/GYN in my area with the other female GYN in her office so it wouldn't do me any good. My HCG has dropped to 7.25 and one of the nurses at the doctor's office said it sounded normal because of my hormones. Either way, I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow to make sure everything is ok.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search