Nykoal's D&C Experience

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To D&C Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
After having an EP in Oct 05 after 6 years of infertility we we're thrilled to discover we were pg again after on trying for 3 months. I went to the doctor and had my hcg levels checked and they were doubling every 30 hours and a 5week u/s showed a sac in the uterus and the correct size. DH & I were so relieved and I started to enjoy the pg. Around 9 weeks my doctor said she wanted to do another u/s just to date the pg. I wasn't worried though and looked forward to hearing the heartbeat.

During the u/s I knew something was wrong when I wasn't allowed to see the screen and the u/s tech said that my doctor would call me with the results! What the heck did that I mean? They weren't dx a cyst...I was pg and wanted to see my baby. This occured on a Thursday and I still hadn't heard anything from the doctor over the weekend (and it was Mother's Day too). So I kinda calmed down and felt that no news was good news.

Well, my doctor phoned on the monday morning and said she wanted to see me in her office. When I got there she said the u/s was vague and in all her years of practice, she had never seen such a vague report. There was no mention of a hb, or of size. So she sent me for another u/s the next week (the day after our 8th wedding anniversary). I was just over 11 weeks now, and after the u/s the radiologist came in and sad she had bad news. The baby had stopped developing and there was no heartbeat. They also weren't able to get an accurate measurement from the crown to rump and it looks like the baby died around 6 weeks. DH & I were crushed.

Since I had a missed m/c, my body never had a clue that I was no longer pg. I had no spotting, no cramps, and my pg symptoms were still there. My doctor had talked about giving me something to induce the m/c and I told her I wanted a D&C. I couldn't continue on like that and since there was a chance that I could get an infection from carrying on for weeks I didn't want to risk it. I was told to go to the ER on May 26 (2 days after the u/s) and the Gynie on call would admit me and do the D&C.

When I arrived at the hospital and sat in the waiting room for about 15 minutes, and was then put in a room and where they started an IV. That was a little painful since they couldn't find a decent vein and they ended up putting it in my wrist and I bleed a lot from it. Since I was on the surgical waiting list, I didn't know the exact time that I would have the surgery, but I didn't wait too long and within 4 hours I was then rolled into the OR.

I remember looking around and feeling sad that I was back in for surgery in less than 6 months. The surgeon came up to me and asked me my name and her name, and why I was there (it's hospital policy and ensures that they have the right person for the right procedure). Then I started to cry because I knew this was the end of this pg and a nurse came over and held my hand and wiped my tears away and said they would take excellent care of me.

Then I woke up in the recovery room. I was given some morphine and when I was rolled into the Day Surgery ward I was asked if I was feeling okay. I told the nurse that I was still very sore and the morphine didn't do anything. She then looked at my IV bag and noticed that I had been given something to cause my uterus to contract and was why I was in some pain. I was given 2 Tylenol 3's (which don't do much for me) and I didn't feel any relief until the IV was taken out.

A day later and I feel like my old self. I didn't have any spotting or bleeding for a few days, but about 5 days after the D&C I started to cramp and bleed. I was in a night class and when I got up I felt a gush and bleed heavy for a few days. It never filled a pad and I didn't have a fever. I bleed for about a week and then spotted for another week. I ended up having a D&C with suction and the surgeon just used enough suction to get me to start bleeding. That's why I ended up bleeding a few days later.

All in all it was a painless and simple procedure. I've had 4 surgeries now and this was the easiest physical recovery, but emotionally it's another story. I found out last week that I had some scar tissue as as result from the D&C, but it was removed during my SHG (sonohystogram). I'm fortunate that I didn't require further surgery and that there was no damage. Because of the scar tissue it affect my 3rd pg and most likely caused me to m/c 2 months after my D&C. It also backed up some old blood and caused me to spot for 3 weeks after my 3rd m/c.

Looking back, the D&C was the best option for me and I don't regret my decision. If I had to do it again, I would.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search