D&C at 11 weeks

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To D&C Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Super Mommy
[font="Arial"]After reading everyone’s experiences and how much they helped me cope with my situation, I knew I had to share my story with everyone. Pardon me if this is lengthy but trying to cover all bases – to sum up the situation, had a MC at 8 weeks and the D&C was done at 11 weeks.

My DH and I have been married almost 4 years and in that time, we knew a timeframe of when we wanted to TTC, which was December of 2007. Beforehand, both he and I secured great careers, saved money and bought our dream home, all while having fun as it was just the 2 of us. December rolled around and we were ready! Both of us were excited about the promising future and this was something all of our family was waiting for too.

I went off the Pill the 1st week of December and after being on it for almost 11 years, I was very fearful that we would have trouble TTC, just like all my close friends have been going through. God definitely had a plan and 2 weeks later, we conceived. 3 days after missing my cycle we were doubtful but knew I was pregnant. With the overwhelming joy so soon, we didn’t hesitate to share with everyone. And by everyone, we told family, friends, co-workers, etc. There never was a doubt in my mind that anything would go wrong. We started spreading our excitement right when I was 6 weeks along and our preparations for the impending arrival begun. We setup our registry (since my family is 2 states away) and even bought the nursery furniture (such a great buy with an ad in the paper). I had my 1st prenatal visit at 8 weeks and while they took my blood and examined me, everything came back in the clear. I had pregnancy symptoms but no morning sickness, I thought “this can’t get any better”.

We had our 1st ultrasound at 10 weeks. Things sounded so promising. As the doctor scanned me, we saw baby and then there was silence. No heart beat. She confirmed that the baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks, right at the time I had my last appointment. We were devastated. Every emotion ran through my head. What did I do wrong? Did my sip of coffee do this? Was I not getting enough nutrition or exercise? Was it too soon? Immediately the doctor told us it was not our fault and that this happens more often than people think and was probably linked to a chromosome abnormality (and the body has its’ ways of knowing something isn’t right). I wanted to scream, cry, etc. I kept thinking to God, “you know me and you know I would love this baby no matter how it was, normal or abnormal, PLEASE just give me my baby”. The next day I put my brave face on and went to work and everyone knew. As much as I was kicking myself for telling everyone so early on, it was so comforting to have support. Through it all, my DH was my pillar of strength even though his heart was breaking inside. He consoled me, checked in on me all the time and kept wondering how I was feeling.

2 days later, they had me in again for another US to confirm where I was at in the stages of MC. My doctor sat me down and basically said my body was holding onto the baby, the placenta was still in tact and I needed a D&C. I was not expecting the D&C, I wanted to do everything else rather than go through another procedure since I have had past problems with severe dysplasia (and related procedures). My D&C was scheduled a week after I found out I had a MC. All along, I was praying to God above, please let this little one (who we ended up naming Baby Hope) take its’ course naturally. I had no cramping but some bleeding, comparable to a normal cycle. Through everything, I thought maybe the D&C would help me move on faster but then again, I knew my DH and I would have to bid our final goodbye to Baby Hope.

The doctor prescribed Misoprostol to take the night before and morning of the surgery. WOW – I never had felt cramps so bad in my life. I got 3 hours of sleep that night and in the morning, I called my doc to ask if I could skip taking the morning dose, which I couldn’t since it was necessary to dilate my cervix. My D&C was scheduled at noon and I was at the hospital at 10 am. Once I was there, there was a sense of peace and calmness over me. Up until surgery, I was joking around but once they had to wheel me into the OR & I had to say goodbye to DH, tears came pouring out. I knew for the final time, I was letting go of my little angel. The doc mentioned the whole procedure would last approx. 1 hr. The OR was absolutely horrible, it was cold, stale and eery. Once I was transferred onto the operating table, they ran the anesthesia through my IV and I was off into a deep sleep. The procedure began at 12:18 and the doc called my family in around 12:41, which was very fast and actually frightened them that something had gone wrong. She was done and mentioned everything went great, there was a lot of tissue remaining and that I would recover in no time. She herself had gone through the same experience, as common it is becoming. I woke up around 1:15 and mumbled to myself “my baby is gone”. I felt empty. As I woke up, there was pain and burning and they gave me 2 pain shots which felt great. I was wheeled back in the surgery waiting area. They made me drink, eat and go to the bathroom and then I was out of the hospital by 3 pm. They prescribed me Methergine (to prevent & stop uterine bleeding), Vibramycin (antibiotic) and Motrin (for pain). My nurses, doc and anesthesiologist were all awesome – very caring and kind. My first night was a blur, was afraid of being in pain, but wasn’t at all. I was able to eat mac & cheese and keep everything down. My sleep that night was so needed – trying to recover from my previous restless night. The next day I was off work and I really did feel great. I had minimal bleeding and practically no cramping. I didn’t even need the pain meds. The worst part of afterwards, was the feeling of “where do I go from here”. The doc scheduled me in for a 2 week follow-up and hopefully in 2 weeks, we will be blessed to go forth and try again. The whole situation is over and a relief, but my heart is still aching and my pillow at night is filled with tears of missing my little angel, our Baby Hope.

I hope my experience helps someone else as others have helped me. Through everything, we may not understand, but God does have a reason and a plan. The whole experience has made me love my DH so deeply and appreciate him so much, but most of all, I remember that I am a mother and my little angel is looking down on me and watching over me.

May 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
~DaemonMykailasMum~'s Avatar 1 of Each is such a Treat
Im so sorry girl.. I also had a d&c... at 10 weeks, although my Baby Angel was alive right up until about 40 minutes before the d&c, I m/c due to Uteran bleeding .. So Baby Angel fought till the last minute, while my body was rejecting the pregnancy Mine only took 10 minutes tho, and I was only out for about 25 minutes.. And I didnt get any antibiotics or pain meds or anything Im starting to think I should have.. But. Its been a week and 3 days now since mine, and I feel fine physically (Other than being Nauseous ALOT) The only thing they put me on, was they put Oxitocin in my IV to make my uterus contract and shrink back to normal.. Other than that.. Nuthin..

Again, Im so sorry My prayers are with you and Baby Hope

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search