What to expect during a natural miscarriage

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Miscarriage Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies

This is probably a difficult thread to read because it means that you are more than likely preparing to have a miscarriage or are in the throws of one now. My heart goes out to all that are having to deal with this loss. There are differences between having a natural m/c and a D&C. I believe that there are women here that have books worth of knowledge on a natural m/c that are going to share in this thread. Please read what they have to say & hopefully they can give you an idea of what to expect.

April 6th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to share that I had a natural m/c in January with my first and only pregnancy so far My experience was that I started to cramp and spot light brown for about 4 days and it wasn't a lot the first 2 days (like your mind is playing tricks on you and your not sure if it's there or not) and then picked up a bit the next 2 days. I called my doc right away and they said call if it gets worse. Well it did a bit and I called and they brought me in to do an HCG test. Next day at work they called me and my #'s were low, but they wanted to do a second set to see if they were rising. Well, I didn't even make it in for that 2nd test before I started to bleed and cramp heavily. I had bright red clots and blood and heavy, heavy cramps that made me cry they were so bad. This went on all day and then by the next day I had no cramping, just bleeding that got less and less each day over the next week. Went in to test my blood to make sure and it had gone from 800 to 130 in 3 days, and by the next week it was a 7. Just wanted to say that all in all, spotted for 4 days, had the m/c, bled/spotted for another 7 days. A lot of the girls in the DDC kept saying don't worry, it's brown blood, that's okay! Well I just wanted to make sure to share that mine wasn't okay! Mine started brown and got darker and darker over the days. Sorry to find you here reading this waiting for the worst to happen, but I hope my story helps prepare anyone reading this.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
April 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Rippled_Dreams's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Rippled_Dreams
It wasn't long after I found out that I was pregnant with my first baby that I began to bleed. My friends and I were going on a road trip to visit a friend (we left on a friday), and due to my urge to use the restroom or stop because of queezyness we had to take a break fairly regularly. Out of no where when I was at a gas station's bathroom I started to bleed red blood. Scared and confused all I could do was grab a tampon and get back in the car. The bleeding practically disapeard almost instantly... for the next few days I had extreemly light bleeding. By the time I saw my doctor on Tuesday (this was Valentines day) I had only light spotting, mostly brown in color. She said I was fine, my cervix was closed, I wasn't having any cramping, and that Many women will lightly bleed or have spotting during first trimester of their pregnancy. IN her opinion, she felt I'd carry the baby to term. Sadly, it was only the next day... late at night I started getting light cramping, but I was still just barely spotting. The cramping slowly got worse and I began to bleed very heavily... it felt like the first day of my period, maybe a little worse. It was like that all through the night, and it wasn't until 9am the next morning that I actually Miscarried. I passed a rather large amount of bloody dark thick tissue onto my pad. Cramping got real light soon afterwards, and stopped after 24-48 hours. I was heavy all that day and some the next, but then it got real light for maybe a day or two. After that I just had very light spotting for a few days. All together, from the very beginning of my spotting/bleeding, I bled for about 12-13 days (just short of two weeks). So I bled from February 10th - 21st. I got my next, and so far last, period March 22nd (5 weeks from miscarriage - Usually I'm 30 days, instead of 28), and it was pretty normal, except it was a little shorter.... two heavy days (first day cramping), two very light days. None the next day, and oddly some very LIGHT spotting the day after that. Anyway, hope that was somewhat helpful!!
<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"> </MARQUEE>
April 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The 1st mc I was about 9 wks along, but due to some other medical stuff going on - I didn't know until 8 wks. I started to spot on a Friday - very light - tan in color, Dr said it was fine - everything looked good, I continued over the weekend, nothing worse, then Monday I was having mild cramping, and slightly heavier spotting. I called, that day was to be my 1st scheduled appt & she said go to the hospital & have an u/s. I did. They wouldn't tell me anything. I went back to her office, they read the reults & did a pelvic, said I was fine so far & cervix was closed, don't worry, go to the hosptial & get an HcG draw & go home to put my feet up - the cramping was getting much worse, but she said - that there was no way to know for sure, so far it was ok. I was bleeding red by now as well. I went to the hosp, got home, went to bathroom & passed the baby. It was quick really. It had only been about 8 hrs of cramps & most not terrible. The sac appeared slightly grey/blue & was about the size of a 50 cent piece. I didn't look closely, I couldn't. I called the Dr, they sent me to the ER & told me to give them everything I had for tissue. There they were able to tell me that the baby had passed a couple of weeks before that & later they told me the additional chromosomal tests revealed nothing. The following morning I started to cramp heavily again & passed another baby. I still have had no answers from them as to why they couldn't tell me I was having twins from the u/s. I also opted to not take this baby in for testing. I never got the other back from them & I wanted to bury this one. I bled for about a week after the first red blood. My af returned in 28 days.

The 2nd time I was much earlier, about 6 wks & I was feeling fine & suddenly had bright red blood. I decided to lay down & sleep & see if it would stop. When I woke 4 hrs later I was cramping heavily. It took about 6-8 hrs again for the worst of it to pass. I had terrible diarrhea as well - but I was quite upset & cope with IBS anyway - so that may have ben what caused that. I bled for 7 days & af returned in 28 days.

This most recent one I am not through a full cycle yet - so I will edit later to add in anything not yet known. I was told at my 1st u/s I had a blighted ovum, I was told again a week later the same thing. I opted to not have a D&C even though my Dr pushed very hard for it. I felt it was better for me to wait it out & I am happy with that choice. It was about 2 wks after the 2nd u/s that the mc started. I started to spot on Fri - but so faint I could barely see it - ONLY when wiping & even then I thought I might be imagining things it was so light. I didn't bleed until Sunday night - and then it was still very light & brown. By Monday morning I was really cramping. I cramped on & off badly & bled mildly (mildly for ME - but I have heavy af's) until Wednesday when I passed a baby. I was around 9-10 wks - some discrepancy with my "o" date. They were wrong about my blighted ovum & are now doing testing to see if their decision to take me off aspirin & progesterone could be to blame. I bled more heavily on Weds, and it tapered off until Sunday I was done. (added later...my af this time took 35 days to return)

The benefits in MY opinion on natural.

When I was told I would mc - I had some time to say good-bye. It wasn't quite as much feeling the rug got ripped out from under me so fast. I think going through the physical pain of it all validated the emotional pain I felt. I am happier when in emotional pain not be touched or "controlled" by a medical staff. I could watch for heavy bleeding, fever, excessive pain in my most comfortable space, my own home. I didn't feel nearly as poked & prodded as I had in going to the ER the first time. I don't want to risk any scarring associated with D&C's at times, because I don't want to risk loosing any of my options if I decide to continue trying again. Often if you wait for a natural, your HcG is dropping during that process - so have a lower # by the time you do mc & your af seem to show up sooner, following the loss.

The downside:
Pain, it is painful - sometimes for long periods of time. This last one was 3 days with about 4-6 hrs of cramping & then 1-4hrs of ease up before the next bout. There were times I was lying on the floor crying. For ME I figured I would emotionally feel like lying on the floor anyway - so it was the right choice - but some are very nervous/uncomfortable/too grief stricken, etc. You should NEVER be alone while mc'ing natural. You do run a risk for hemmorhage (you also run a risk for D&C - although I'm not sure how they compare statistically) - and you could loose consciousness should that occur. You cannot take a hot bath - you risk infection & you cannot take aspirin as it will increase bleeding.

I don't know if I have posted it all - I'm very tired. I will think on it & maybe edit & add some things. Also - feel free to PM me or post with questions & I will do my best with what I know from doing my own research while making my decision & from my personal experiences.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Regular
I am 23 years old, turning 24 in exactly 3 weeks. I am also 11 weeks pregnant. Friday and Saturday I had mild cramping and slight brown spotting. Thought nothing of it, maybe lining breaking. Sunday morning at 4am, woke up to heavy cramping. Went to the bathroom, blood was more red and all of a sudden and clot fell out on my pad, then 2 more in the toilet. I woke up my husband, told him that I may have miscarried and we are going to the doctors in the morning. We stayed up all night just lying there not knowing what to do. At the doctors got a pelvic exam, my cervix was closed. He said that first thing in the morning (Monday) i was to call and get an emergency ultra sound. I called and I have to wait until Thurs. So i have no idea if the child in me was alive or dead. Tuesday morning I have to get a blood pregnancy test to check my hGc levels. Currently, I am still bleeding, not heavy, but not light, one pad every 4 hours.

I think that this is going to be the worst birthday ever
April 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM
melliemama
I had a natural m/c although it more or less happened to me rather than me choosing it. I'll tell you my story since I know I desperately searched through symptoms when everything started for me.

I started spotting very lightly on a Saturday. It was brownish with some pink every once and a while. It seemed to come and go throughout the day and all through Sunday. I felt sort of gassy through those days as well, but looking back on it, it could have been very mild cramps.

I had called my doctor that weekend and she told me to monitor it and we would do an u/s on Monday. She told me spotting was very normal, but if it got worse to go to the ER.

On Monday the spotting turned more red and a little heavier. I went in for the u/s and was asked if the date of my last period was correct because she wasn't able to find anything when doing an u/s on my abdomon. (This is when my heart sank since I was almost 11 wks and knew they should be able to see something by then.) She did a vaginal u/s and about 3 hours later my doctor called to tell me the baby was only measuring 6 wks and I was probably miscarrying. She said my options would be to pass it naturally or have a D&C.

I never really had a chance to make a decision since that night I started cramping and bleeding very heavily. The cramps were absolutely the worse pain I have ever had in my life. My doctor said they were probably very similar to labor pains. I ended up going to the hospital because I was doubled over in pain and very unsure what to do.

By the time I got to the hospital I had passed everything and the cramping immediately stopped. Total time of my cramps was around 5 and a half hours with about an hour and a half of extreme cramps.

I'm glad I went to the hospital because I'm not sure I would have been able to deal with everything I passed at home. I didn't look at it much but it definitely looked like a sack and I know the baby was in it. If I'm ever faced with a m/c again I'm not sure I would be able to let it happen naturally again.

I hope my story helps anyone who has to face this terrible time. Know that whatever decision you make is the best decision for you.
May 22nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I started to bleed at 11 weeks. I saw the blood on the tp (it was pink) and called the doctor right away. She saw me right away and got me to an ultrasound, where they said nothing. By this time I was bleedin like a light period. I wnet back to my doctors office and the lab called with the results. The baby had stopped developing at 9 weeks.
Peter and I went home, and the bleeding was light for the rest of the day and the next day as well. I called the hospital's on call doctor and said I was concerned that I wasn't bleeding enough. The said to wait it out and see what happens. Low and behod, later on that day I started to cramp. At first I thought it was an upset stomach, then I thought it was gas. It wasn't until I got home that the cramps were really bad. All this happened within a two hour time span. The cramps got really bad and continual for the next 10 minutes, to the point where I couldn't talk. Then I felt a popping sensation, the cramps stopped and I passed the gestational sac. It was about the size of a lemon. From then I passed some more large clots and the bleeding stopped to just spotting. sometimes like a light period. I didn't bleed again until about four days after I passed the sac, and it was bad bleeding. I started to get cramps again, and then I litterally gushed blood and clots galore. Three pads within an hour. Luckily it happened on my way to the doctor for my checkup so I was sent for an ultrasound again, and all was clear. I had passed everything except the residual lining left, and that is what I was passing that morning.

I bled and then spotted for a total of 15 days. The last four days were spotting on and off throughout the day, but just needed a pantyliner.
June 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Canada Crystal's Avatar Regular
I am glad to see this post because when I m/c in January I had no idea what to expect. I had 2 healthy pregnancies and was so excited to find out I was pregnant again about 8 weeks after delivery my last baby, Savannah, in September. It was the beginning of January and I went to the washroom and noticed a small amount of brown blood and was not concerned. I asked a few people and they said not to worry about it. It was on and off for a few days then I woke up one morning to bright red blood, not much. However, I was concerned so I called my doctor and was told to come in ASAP. I went in and he honeslty did not seem concerned and scheduled me for an ultrasound a week later. I was worried about waiting a week so I called my sister who works in x-ray and she got me an appointment the next morning which was 2 hours away. I went in and they could not find a heart beat and baby was measuring 5 weeks 6 days and I knew I had to be around 7-8 weeks at that time. They said maybe my dates were off and don't worry because sometimes it takes about 7 weeks before you can get a heart beat. They gave me hope and said to come back in a week. The next night I started to bleed more and called my mom. I remember the doctor saying that if you soak a pad within an hour to come in. I told my mom I was cramping and the bleeding was getting heavier and I wanted to lay down. She said do not lay down and go to the hospital and at that time I lived about 2 hours away from my family. I decided to call my friend from across the street to watch the girls and I would go to the hospital. By the time I called my friend and she was there within 2 minutes I went to the bathroom and it was like a tap was turned on and I started gushing (sorry about the details) blood. I was going through a pad a minute and yelled for my friend to get the kids in the vehicle. I got up from the toilet and hear a plop and looked on the floor and there was a sac. I remember my friend saying that if you m/c to take whatever you lost to the hospital with you. I picked up everything and my friend rushed me to the hospital. That moment haunts me to this day. I am not sure about other m/c but I was bleeding so much and they could not stop the bleeding. The doctor checked me and said my cervix was open and he examined what I brought in and that I lost the baby, which I already knew. I was there all night and they finally managed to slow down the bleeding. I didn't get a D&C and had no period till 11 weeks later. I was not prepared for what I went through and not sure if this was a typical m/c or not. I thought that I would bleed like a period and have some clots but never imagined what I went through.

Crystal

June 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I found out i was pregnant a June 5, or 6 i took a test and it was postive faint faint + and i tested that hole week till the 18th and + still The that morning of the 18th i start bleeding heavy for 3 day's and i keep passing somehting i didn't know what it was, on the 4th day it slowed down a bit but not much on the 5th day i passed the baby it was very tiny of corse i took that with me to the doctor with lot's of clot's and thats how i knew i m/c cause of the doctor other wise i would just have though it was a heavy period that was a week late. I also had lot's of cramping not server but they hurt, finally it went to spotting and it last for 2 weeks. Off and on. After the m/c though i got really bad chill's, headachs, had a little fever, and was just weak

</div>

</div>
July 28th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Regular
Quote:
The 1st mc I was about 9 wks along, but due to some other medical stuff going on - I didn't know until 8 wks. I started to spot on a Friday - very light - tan in color, Dr said it was fine - everything looked good, I continued over the weekend, nothing worse, then Monday I was having mild cramping, and slightly heavier spotting. I called, that day was to be my 1st scheduled appt & she said go to the hospital & have an u/s. I did. They wouldn't tell me anything. I went back to her office, they read the reults & did a pelvic, said I was fine so far & cervix was closed, don't worry, go to the hosptial & get an HcG draw & go home to put my feet up - the cramping was getting much worse, but she said - that there was no way to know for sure, so far it was ok. I was bleeding red by now as well. I went to the hosp, got home, went to bathroom & passed the baby. It was quick really. It had only been about 8 hrs of cramps & most not terrible. The sac appeared slightly grey/blue & was about the size of a 50 cent piece. I didn't look closely, I couldn't. I called the Dr, they sent me to the ER & told me to give them everything I had for tissue. There they were able to tell me that the baby had passed a couple of weeks before that & later they told me the additional chromosomal tests revealed nothing. The following morning I started to cramp heavily again & passed another baby. I still have had no answers from them as to why they couldn't tell me I was having twins from the u/s. I also opted to not take this baby in for testing. I never got the other back from them & I wanted to bury this one. I bled for about a week after the first red blood. My af returned in 28 days.

The 2nd time I was much earlier, about 6 wks & I was feeling fine & suddenly had bright red blood. I decided to lay down & sleep & see if it would stop. When I woke 4 hrs later I was cramping heavily. It took about 6-8 hrs again for the worst of it to pass. I had terrible diarrhea as well - but I was quite upset & cope with IBS anyway - so that may have ben what caused that. I bled for 7 days & af returned in 28 days.

This most recent one I am not through a full cycle yet - so I will edit later to add in anything not yet known. I was told at my 1st u/s I had a blighted ovum, I was told again a week later the same thing. I opted to not have a D&C even though my Dr pushed very hard for it. I felt it was better for me to wait it out & I am happy with that choice. It was about 2 wks after the 2nd u/s that the mc started. I started to spot on Fri - but so faint I could barely see it - ONLY when wiping & even then I thought I might be imagining things it was so light. I didn't bleed until Sunday night - and then it was still very light & brown. By Monday morning I was really cramping. I cramped on & off badly & bled mildly (mildly for ME - but I have heavy af's) until Wednesday when I passed a baby. I was around 9-10 wks - some discrepancy with my "o" date. They were wrong about my blighted ovum & are now doing testing to see if their decision to take me off aspirin & progesterone could be to blame. I bled more heavily on Weds, and it tapered off until Sunday I was done. (added later...my af this time took 35 days to return)

When I was told I would mc - I had some time to say good-bye. It wasn't quite as much feeling the rug got ripped out from under me so fast. I think going through the physical pain of it all validated the emotional pain I felt. I am happier when in emotional pain not be touched or "controlled" by a medical staff. I could watch for heavy bleeding, fever, excessive pain in my most comfortable space, my own home. I didn't feel nearly as poked & prodded as I had in going to the ER the first time. I don't want to risk any scarring associated with D&C's at times, because I don't want to risk loosing any of my options if I decide to continue trying again. Often if you wait for a natural, your HcG is dropping during that process - so have a lower # by the time you do mc & your af seem to show up sooner, following the loss.

The downside:
Pain, it is painful - sometimes for long periods of time. This last one was 3 days with about 4-6 hrs of cramping & then 1-4hrs of ease up before the next bout. There were times I was lying on the floor crying. For ME I figured I would emotionally feel like lying on the floor anyway - so it was the right choice - but some are very nervous/uncomfortable/too grief stricken, etc. You should NEVER be alone while mc'ing natural. You do run a risk for hemmorhage (you also run a risk for D&C - although I'm not sure how they compare statistically) - and you could loose consciousness should that occur. You cannot take a hot bath - you risk infection & you cannot take aspirin as it will increase bleeding.

I don't know if I have posted it all - I'm very tired. I will think on it & maybe edit & add some things. Also - feel free to PM me or post with questions & I will do my best with what I know from doing my own research while making my decision & from my personal experiences.

[quote]
[quote]

The downside:

[quote]
Quote:

The downside:

[quote]
Quote:

The downside:

September 25th, 2006, 06:51 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
i miscarried last week on the 18th september

i went for a u/s on 13th for a growth scan i was 11 weeks by my dates but only 6 by there dates and i knew something was wrong they sent me away and told me to go back in a week to see if it had grwon or they could see a heartbeat! i knew that something was wrong!!! well 2 days later i started to bleed it was very watery red blood i was very scared i had a previous loss the year before my daughter was born sleeping at 24 weeks i was terrified at this point i went to er department they basicaly told me to go home and let nature do its job if it was going to happen there was nothing they could do!!!! so off home i went the bleeding had stopped by then!!!
sunday t time i started having really painful cramps i was in tears they were that bad i was styill bleeding i didnt sleep at all sunday night and then the blood got really bad thick red clots all monday morning i couldnt walk with the pain by dinnertime the cramping was agony and then i passed a really big clot like placenta (tmi sorry) but it was a relief the cramping carried on for about 2 days with more blood and clots!!i felt like i had been in a car crash i was weak and felt drained for a few days. physicaly i have gotton over it but emotionaly i dont think i ever will..... thanx claire x x x

May 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Em2528's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

................. .
.................................................. ..

Last edited by Em2528; January 17th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
May 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Erika ~ Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Losing the 1st is so very difficult. Please feel free to join us in the main Pregnancy Loss board when you are ready. My thoughts & prayers are w/ you both.

May 29th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Regular
Hi
I found this thread really really helpful as I wondered what to expect waiting for a natural miscarriage. We went for our scan at 13 weeks and found out the baby had died at 9 1/2 weeks. We had had an early scan at 6 weeks and there was a heartbeat. The hospital were keen that we have a hospital procedure but we opted to go home and wait for a natural miscarriage. Started spotting the day after the scan. Spotting carried on for about four days. Now and then there would be some darker blood and mucos when i wiped. I felt acutely aware of every twinge in my abdominal area. Day five (yesterday) I woke up 6:30am to dull aches which became more and more like contractions. Took some painkillers and used hot cloths on my tummy and walked around while the contractions were taking place and sat down between. This lasted about three hours and then stopped. The rest of the day nothing happened. I took it easy and went for a gentle walk. That night at midnight I felt the contractions start again. I took some pain killers but they were really really sore and there was no let up between contractions just constant pain. I walked around with hot cloths on my tummy. The pain lasted one hour and then suddenly stopped and I felt myself pass something. Felt like blowing a bubble. Was about the size of a lemon. Seemed to be a sac with some darker clots. We have kept it to bury it. Had a cup of tea then when I got up about 15 minutes later to go to the toilet I felt another bubble pass which was a dark blood clot. This morning there were about three more dark blood clots. I haven't bled heavily since and the blood is bright pink and looks healthy.
My husband and I are both really pleased we opted to wait for a natural miscarriage and not have a hospital procedure. Nice to be at home. It was full on and really sore but so nice to sit in my own bed afterwards and have a cup of tea. Hopefully it will all be ok from now on and no complications. The hospital will do a scan this week and hopefully it will all look ok.
Just wanted to share my experience as found this thread so useful reading what other people had experienced so that I had some idea what was going to happen.
Thank you to all of you for sharing your experiences.
June 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm really glad I found this board! I'm going to share my story here as well.

I got my BFP on June 11th, made an appointment to see my doctor for the 12th, he had blood drawn. He called me the 14th, to tell me that either the baby wasn't developing properly for an almost 8 week pregnancy, or I was really almost 5 weeks along which is why my numbers were so low. He asked that I have more blood drawn on the 15th. I used the bathroom on the 14th before bed, and saw a brownish colour on the paper. I went to bed and woke up to find spots of red blood on my panties. I started to feel cramping after I used the bathroom, and I started to cry. I knew at that moment I was having a miscarriage. I kept going back to the bathroom, and kept seeing more and more blood on the pad, including really large clots. I went to the clinic, and had the blood drawn. The bleeding remained to be heavy until Saturday morning, when it slowed down a lot. All day Saturday it kept getting less and less, Sunday was the same and Monday it was over completely. I spoke to my doctor on Monday and he told me that by the time the blood was drawn on Friday around 3pm, I had already had a miscarriage. He asked if I was still bleeding or had any cramps, I said no, he said that it was a good thing and that I had a natural miscarriage.

August 1st, 2007, 10:43 AM
Regular
Quote:
Hi
I found this thread really really helpful as I wondered what to expect waiting for a natural miscarriage. We went for our scan at 13 weeks and found out the baby had died at 9 1/2 weeks. We had had an early scan at 6 weeks and there was a heartbeat. The hospital were keen that we have a hospital procedure but we opted to go home and wait for a natural miscarriage. Started spotting the day after the scan. Spotting carried on for about four days. Now and then there would be some darker blood and mucos when i wiped. I felt acutely aware of every twinge in my abdominal area. Day five (yesterday) I woke up 6:30am to dull aches which became more and more like contractions. Took some painkillers and used hot cloths on my tummy and walked around while the contractions were taking place and sat down between. This lasted about three hours and then stopped. The rest of the day nothing happened. I took it easy and went for a gentle walk. That night at midnight I felt the contractions start again. I took some pain killers but they were really really sore and there was no let up between contractions just constant pain. I walked around with hot cloths on my tummy. The pain lasted one hour and then suddenly stopped and I felt myself pass something. Felt like blowing a bubble. Was about the size of a lemon. Seemed to be a sac with some darker clots. We have kept it to bury it. Had a cup of tea then when I got up about 15 minutes later to go to the toilet I felt another bubble pass which was a dark blood clot. This morning there were about three more dark blood clots. I haven't bled heavily since and the blood is bright pink and looks healthy.
My husband and I are both really pleased we opted to wait for a natural miscarriage and not have a hospital procedure. Nice to be at home. It was full on and really sore but so nice to sit in my own bed afterwards and have a cup of tea. Hopefully it will all be ok from now on and no complications. The hospital will do a scan this week and hopefully it will all look ok.
Just wanted to share my experience as found this thread so useful reading what other people had experienced so that I had some idea what was going to happen.
Thank you to all of you for sharing your experiences.[/b]
August 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
aliciamccoy1 ~ Just wanted to make sure I welcomed you sweetie! Please feel free to jump over to our main Pregnancy Loss board & introduce yourself!

August 30th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Regular
I am extremly new to this board.. this is my first post...

I found out i was pregnant on friday the 24th. that is almost 5 days before my period was due.
I took a home test got a pos. i was sooo excited. since my hubby and i were trying. I told my husband and everyone else.

Got a blood test that day got another pos!!! yay! sat morning i was spotting pink. I took another test.. still pos. Sunday i was still spotting pink.. no cramps... monday it was bothering me... but i stopped spotting so i was happy...

Tuesday it begun again so i went to the er that night.. spent from 7pm to 1:30 am in the er. Went home with a threatened misscarriage.

Wednesday morning got up i was bleeding heavily with clots... went to the er and was there from 9 am - 5pm... MY HCG level went from 11.73 to 9.27 in 1 day.

Here it is thursday and i am still bleeding and passing clots.. so i know i lost my angel.. My husband and i are pretty upset but realize that there was nothing i could do. we were 3 weeks 4 days along.

I never did have any cramping or brown blood... just light pink until BAM dark red... we are going to try again this month.. since i am just now due or my period i should have missed...
September 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Regular
I found out I was pregnant on September 10th through a Home Pregnancy Test. It was my first pregnancy so I went to the OB nurse the next day to talk about the pregnancy and take blood tests to find out I was four weeks along. Only a couple of days later I started having cramps. They were bearable, and I read everywhere online that it was a normal symptom of pregnancy. About a week later the cramps that had persisted through the entire week had gotten stronger. I thought (hoped) it might be gas but then felt myself discharging. I rushed to the bathroom to find out that it was blood and there seemed to be some mucous as well. I felt as though I knew right then I was miscarrying. The bleeding stopped, but I went to the ER anyway and they said the cervix was closed, the pregnancy test came back positive BUT the hormones, which should be at 100,000...were at a mere 119. I lost it, physically and emotionally.

It is now two days after finding out. I have been bleeding like it is a period and also have "flecks" of blood on my pad. I had a blood clot (I think, although I'm not certain on what they look like--picture, anyone? haha), though I thought maybe it was the embryo or baby. There was also a "string-like" substance, but it was very little. I'm seeing the doctor 6 days after I found out I was miscarrying (so, in four days). I'm not sure what he'll do or say, or if there are more tests. I'm hoping for an ultra sound to make sure my insides are okay. Although most of the cramping has stopped, I still have dull aches on the right side of my abdomen and am a little worried that maybe I have not passed the baby yet. I'm not sure why it's just on the right side. Could it be an ectopic pregnancy and my fallopian tube burst? A good question for the doctor. I hear it's very hard to know what exactly happened in a miscarriage when you're only 5 weeks along.

It's a struggle to wear pads and not take baths because I haven't worn pads in ten years and feel like the best way to get "clean" is a bath. My husband has been a huge support but he's working today and although I've been motivated to do things my whole life, I'm having a hard time even wanting to do little things like empty the dishwasher. My heart goes out to those mothers who have miscarried and have other children to really be attentive to even though you just want to mourn and cry. I guess it's important to know God has a plan.

I plan to wait a full cycle before trying again, but pray that this miscarriage will not have an effect on possible future pregnancies. God bless!
September 29th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Regular
This thread was so helpful for me, this morning, as I was going through a miscarriage. Here is my story..

I found out during a routine u/s on 9/18 that my baby was only measuring 9 weeks, I was 10 1/2 weeks, and there was no heartbeat. After much angst and internal conflict, I decided to try and wait to see if I would miscarry on my own. I did break down and make an appt for a D&C for 10/4 but I was hoping that I would miscarry naturally, at home. I think that I did...
Here is what happened...
Friday night I started cramping and so I thought I would take a hot bath because I was so achy. As I was climbing over the side of the tub I felt this pop and gush...almost like my water breaking... if that is even possible. That is when I started bleeding really heavily and passing lots of clots... like soaking pads every ten minutes... I finally started using diapers, lol.... they lasted a little longer. this went on from 8pm to about 1am. It finally slowed enough for me to go to bed. I woke up at 3am and then 6am to change my diapey... I was still having a lot of cramping, pain and bleeding when I got up at 6 and I got so dizzy... I was really scared. Thankfully it did subside. I started feeling a little better around 2pm today and then I nursed my dd and it got real bad again, like labor contractions. I finally got up to go to the bathroom again and I was again sooo dizzy so I got something to drink and laid down. The cramps were so intense I was crying. I laid there for awhile and finally started feeling better around four or so. I went to the bathroom again and this time I passed something large... The water was so bloody that I really couldn't couldn't see it (and that was okay... I really didn't want to.). I was almost instantly better and the bleeding slowed way down. A few times I almost went to the hospital but I am glad now that I stuck it out.
I just took a shower and I feel almost normal. The bleeding is now just like a regular period and no more clots.
I am hoping to get into the doctors on Monday and get an u/s to make sure everything is out. If so, I can cancel my D&C on Thursday.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search