Breaking out of the frame tutorial

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Annie's Avatar Super Mommy
Here's a tutorial I wrote for images breaking out of the frame. Although it's for the motorbike, you can do it with anything. The principle's are the same. I'd love to see your results.

Breaking Out Of The Frame Tutorial (Paintshop Pro)

This tutorial is written for Paintshop Pro, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same in Photo Shop.

1 Open your chosen image. (Tip: Try to find a picture with an object that would look natural extending past the borders.

2 Convert background layer to raster layer ( Layers > Promote Background Layer ), then duplicate ( Layers > Duplicate ). Hide "Copy of Raster 1" layer by clicking on the Visibility toggle, then make Raster 1 your current layer.

Your layer palette should look like this.

3 Pick the Freehand Selection Tool and create selection (perspective looking) as shown in the bike image below. We are going to make the front wheel of the bike look like it is coming out of the photo.

Freehand Selection Settings,

4 Invert current selection by pressing Ctrl+Shift+I and hit Delete key.

5 Invert current selection for the second time by pressing Ctrl+Shift+I. Contract selection by 8 pixels ( Selections > Modify > Contract ). Once again, invert selection by pressing Ctrl+Shift+I. Pick the Selection tool and click your mouse once anywhere on the image. Then, Floodfill current selection with solid white color.

6 Deselect active selection by pressing Ctrl+D. Make "Copy of Raster 1" visible and the current active layer. Decrease its opacity until you see the Raster 1's photo edges. This will be our guide in making a selection.

7 Use whichever selection tool you prefer to carefully select the edges of the front wheel. I prefer to use the free hand selection tool, type = point to point, feather = 1, smoothing = 0 Antialias = checked. They are just my preferences, but play around and find the easiest one for you to use .

8 Invert selection by pressing Ctrl+Shift+I and hit the Delete key. Increase Copy of Raster 1's opacity back to 100%

10 Pick Selection tool (the rectangular one) and press Ctrl+A key. Click your mouse anywhere on the image to highlight all objects. Add a shadow ( Effects > 3D Effects > Drop Shadow ). It’s up to you how dark your shadow is and what angle you set it at.

11 Deselect all selection by pressing Ctrl+D. Make "Copy of Raster 1" your active layer. Create a small rectangle selection around the wheel area and click your mouse once anywhere on the image. This will make a selection on the wheel area.

Add a shadow ( Effects > 3D Effects > Drop Shadow ).

12 Finally, merge all visible layers ( Layers > Merge > Merge Visible ).

You should end up with something like this. (Hopefully better)

Good luck! If I can do it, anyone can!
August 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been waiting for this one. Thanks.
August 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok here is my shot at it...

August 30th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Annie's Avatar Super Mommy
That's really good! well done, I'm impressed

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic: