Lighting?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2007, 06:35 PM
punkrawkmom44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to punkrawkmom44
I recently bought some lighting from ebay, I have messed with them some and found a few ways to set them up that I like but when I turn the flash off and use the lights if there is any movement the picture comes out quite blurry BUT on the other hand if I leave flash on it is WAY to bright. I am pretty new to using lighting other than natural and flash. any tips or suggestions in setting up the lights, flash, anything you think would help?

I am using the Canon Rebel XTI with the stock flash and This lighting kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Here is the description of the kit if you do not wish to follow the link:
* Two (2) 10 inch Reflectors
* One (1) 5 inch Reflector
* Two (2) 32in White Umbrellas
* Two (2) UM-6 umbrella mounts
* Three (3) Socket & Cordsets with Stand Mounts
* Three (3) EIGHT FOOT Raven BLACK Aluminum Stands
# Specifications: 4 sections; telescopes to 8 feet; folds to just 26.5 inches; 36 inch footprint; weight 2.5 lbs.

* Three (3) ECA 250-Watt Photoflood Lamps

o These are tungsten; 120 volts; 3200K; 6500 lumens; inside frost continuous lamps.
* One (1) Imaging with Light Guide

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
ETA: lighting info.

My Blog

February 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My lights are strobe, so I don't have any experience with continuous lights. Can you increase your shutter speed? What ISO are you using? You should be able to check your exif data to find out what your shot settings were. (ie, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) If you could post a couple of shots and your settings, we might be able to help a little more. My initial advice would be to increase your ISO to 200 and shoot with a SS of at least a 1/60 and to shoot without your flash.
February 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I am going to check that out I have not played with the shutter speed yet. I feel lost in manual settings and such...I spent most of the weekend looking through online tips and tutorials. I just can not read through the manual without feeling overwhelmed and it seems to skip around.

ETA:I will take some pics to show you.

My Blog

February 21st, 2007, 05:55 AM
Figuring out the settings definately takes some practice. Reading the manual is just terrible; Im with you there!
You could try your TV setting. It lets you set your shutter speed and then it automatically will adjust your ap settings.
Hopefully when we see some more shots we can give you some more advice.
February 21st, 2007, 08:32 AM
I think I messed with just about EVERY thing last night. For some reason with flash off I am just getting AWFUL photo's. I adjusted the SS and the ISO up down all around LOL and still they come out DARK and I can't understand why my Nikon with flash OFF take better photos than my SLR which was about 8X more expensive. With Flash on the photos turn out a lot better but then of course I get the flash busy and have to wait. ARRRG here is a comparison.

Flash off:

Flash on:

My Blog

February 21st, 2007, 05:32 PM
Wow! The flash really is making quite a difference in these pics. In the first one its underexposed and you're getting motion blur (really typical of kids in low light situations). I would actually think that your lights should be kicking out more power than it appears they are!
I checked your EXIF data on the first shot your settings are ISO 400, ap 5.6 and ss 1/25 and your data on the second with flash was all the same except a ss of 1/60. I wouldnt really want to shoot with a shutter slower than 1/60 with kids since they move so much.
Are you shooting with all three lights? Where are they positioned and how far away are they from your subject? Maybe a shot of that would help....but Im thinking that overall you probably should move them much closer.
Hope this wasn't too confusing.
February 22nd, 2007, 08:35 AM
If you can bump your ISO and increase the aperature (which is make it a lower number), you should be able to get a shutter speed fast enough. You may have to use ISO 800 or higher. Also, your lighting should be creating more light -- maybe check into that.
February 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
You know what I am so stumped on... the fact the the room is extremely BRIGHT and the picture comes out so dark.

I focus the lights on him I had the two umbrellas on, one directly to the left of him shinning on him and one in front of him shinning directly on him. I was thinking of taking the camera to get looked at.

I know my Nikon cool pix in that situation does not even turn flash on in auto flash. Which seems odd to me and comes with a clearer picture. (should not happen In my opinion with the SLR being the better camera)

I did however adjust my user def. since those were taken (read the WHOLE manual) and am going to try shooting again. I just don't understand why the picture is sooo dark when the room is so bright I would think IF anything it would come out to bright because I was trying EVERYTHING to get it as BRIGHT as possible to see if it effected the photo. I also don't understand how even with the flash ON it is coming out as dark hmmmmm. I will take more photo's with the user def. this afternoon.

Thank you soooooooo Much for taking the time to help me!

My Blog

February 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Quote:
You know what I am so stumped on... the fact the the room is extremely BRIGHT and the picture comes out so dark.

I focus the lights on him I had the two umbrellas on, one directly to the left of him shinning on him and one in front of him shinning directly on him. I was thinking of taking the camera to get looked at.

Thank you soooooooo Much for taking the time to help me![/b]
Try repositioning the lights. Direct light from the side might be throwing it off. Try putting thinking of the line between you and him as a 90 degree angle. Then position one light at 45 degrees and one at 135 degrees (one could be a bit closer to him and one a bit farther from him then you). If you search for lighting tips online, they will be able to show you some diagrams with positioning of lights (I am not sure that I am explaining this very well). Also, be sure that your camera is metering the light correctly (sometimes it may focus in on a really bright spot and throw off the exposure). try shooting in manual to see if the camera is making strange adjustments.

I hope this helps!
February 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
Thank you so much for the tips. I Think I got it better when I changed The ISO a SS I switched to Manual I realized I may have been on the wrong setting. Which I think was the case. Without the flash it seemed to work a lot faster and they came out quite crisp. I will load them and show you. TY for the lighting explanation. I am new to all of this and appreciate you taking the time to explain things. I will also look online from some. The lights came with a simple set up book and I had used that for the lighting I had set up.

My Blog

February 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Nice to hear you're getting better results! Can't wait to see what you're coming up with.
February 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM
aophoto's Avatar Member
Look into getting a light meter. It is a great tool when you are using anything more than an on-camera flash.
February 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Look into getting a light meter. It is a great tool when you are using anything more than an on-camera flash.[/b]
Thanks for the tip!

My Blog

February 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM
aophoto's Avatar Member
Quote:
Quote:
Look into getting a light meter. It is a great tool when you are using anything more than an on-camera flash.[/b]
Thanks for the tip!
[/b]

You can get used (cheaper) ones on ebay that would work fine.
February 27th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the tip!
[/b]

You can get used (cheaper) ones on ebay that would work fine.
[/b]
I took a look on ebay...what exactly does it do? do you have one? which kind if so?

My Blog

February 28th, 2007, 02:46 PM
aophoto's Avatar Member
Quote:
I took a look on ebay...what exactly does it do? do you have one? which kind if so?[/b]

Basically a light meter measures the amount of light that you have and tells you the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture to set you camer at. This way you can get the proper exposure.

This is a more in depth description. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_meter

Yes, I have this one. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

I just bought it from a friend of mine. The one I have is digital and it has a little transmitter in it that will trigger my strobes.
February 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM
aophoto's Avatar Member
OK...back up. Forget the light meter. For some reason it didn't "click" in my head that you are using "hot lights". Your in-camera meter should work just fine for now. I was thinking that you had strobes. Sorry!!!

It is still an important tool, but not necessary at this point.

I would just shoot in AV mode and adjust your ISO accordingly to keep your SS around 1/60-1/125.
March 2nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Thank you. do strobe lights work as a flash?

I tried AV mode but the lighting was awful even with the ISO adjusted and It would not let me adjust as much as manual so I am in Manual mode.

Have you ever used continuous lighting? I am beginning to think I got the wrong type of lights. They were a great deal on ebay. Maybe I should invest in strobe lighting?

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search