what do you all think

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC after recurrent loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Super Mommy
so, last month i went to a new RE. she put me on progesterone, but told me my progesterone levels were normal (10).

i have had 3 m/c and a healthy son. since i didn't get pregnant last month, i went back in today to see what was my next step (should we continue progesterone, etc). she did an ultrasound and said it looked like i had a polyp on my uterus (i just had a sonohystogram two months ago that showed nothing) and she said it didn't look like my fsh was doing anything. (no one has ever tested those levels before, but last month, based on blood work, she said i had ovulated).

she gave me a prescription for clomid and told me that she didn't want to do a follow up ultrasound because she wanted me to save my money this month so i could spend it next month. she also said that i didn't need the progesterone anymore.

then she sends me up front and the woman up there wants me to sign up for a class on how to take fertility meds and gives me the cost of the IUI and superovulation (it's about 1500 a month, my insurance doesn't pay for any of it).

i am a little miffed because the whole reason i'm there is not because i can't get pregnant, but because i can't stay pregnant. and after about 5 years of trying to figure it out, four different doctor's offices haven't been able to find anything wrong with me. i just kind of felt like she was looking at me with dollar signs in her eyes. i really don't have any problem getting pregnant. and things like clomid and IUI just help you conceive, right? they don't keep you pregnant once you're there. plus, IUI won't be worth anything if i just miscarry after conception.

i felt a little hopeful at first because of all this talk of fertility drugs and ways to get pregnant. then the more i thought about it, the more annoyed i got. i didn't even get the feeling that the dr. knew why i was there. her reaction to whatever i had to tell her was 'make her buy meds!!'.

am i overreacting?
January 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have soooooo been there. I too have been angry, disgruntled, etc & I think for very good reason. I don't know what I believe about all the clomid/IUI, etc...but he RE did NOT explain thing sppropriately to you & mine never did either. Clomid doesn't just cause O - it can improve your egg quality. Same with IUI for sperm. So there is some science behind trying Clomid & IUI for mc..as it increases the chance of having the healthiest egg & sperm to begin with. How successful is that? I don't know. I know for us as a couple - it would do no good since DH has a chromosomal issue with sperm...BUT - if it won't help chromsomally weak sperm..the I am not sure what kind of sperm it helps in any way that would reduce risks of mc. I would call the office & tell them you need to speak to the DR again when she has time & you want her to call you in regrd to some questions you have over the treatment she has prescribed. I would then write out EVERYTHING you are questioning & feeling & make sure to keep the list handy & with you so when she calls back you are prepared to get them all answered. You shuold never take any med or treatment you ar unsure of. I am not sur eit helps - but I hope you find some peace & know what you wan tyour decision to be. I am sorry you are feeling so angry & mixed up right now. I absolutely HATE that.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 17th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
beans 601- I can understand you feeling perturbed about thsi whole thing. it sounds to me (like beck said) that no one is taking the time to really sit down and talk to you about what's going on. First of all I think you need to take more initiative and ask the Dr to compile for you what you have and have not been tested for. If she's just doing u/s that doesn't tell a whole lot and if you haven't had a sonohystogram or an HSG done yet, you may want to look into this. This will show the dr your actual shape of your uterus and positively confirm if there are blockages, scarring, or polyps. Regarding all the blood work, ask them specifically what you ahve been tested for...have they done an entire keryotyping (sp?), this will rule out any genetic issues.

As for the clomid and the IUI. I would get more information and then let the Dr know you will be considering this and not allow her to push you into anything you aren't sure of. Remember this is your body. And you need to advocate for yourself because no one else will.

I wish you the best. let us know if you get more clrification and how you're feeling about it.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
January 18th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Veteran
Like everybody else is saying, it is worth asking your dr what is she treating you for and what the plan is.

The only info I would add is that progesterone is not only prescribed for problems with actual progesterone levels but it is also used for people with immune problems (apparently it has a mild immune supressing effect).

So, if she doesn't want you to take any more progesterone and wants you to go on clomid instead, may be she is thinking genetic causes...don't know....We can speculate endlessly but at the end of the day it is your body (and your money) so she really needs to explain what she is planning to do.

Good luck

Paula
January 18th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's exactly how I felt when seeing my RE. I wanted to know what happened and how can we keep me pregnant. We did all the test and I still have no answer to my 4 m/c's. My RE wanted to know how aggressive I wanted to be at my first consultation. I wasn't sure but I knew I wasn't comfortable jumping into anything. He explained we could start out with just clomid and see how things go with traditional sex. He told us it was produce a better quality egg. Well nothing happened until the last month of clomid and we decided to do IUI. Once we decided on that he explained this in more detail and maybe he did before at the consultation but it was too much information at that time for me to comprehend. Not sure, but thing is I got pregnant with IUI, taking robitussin, mucinex pills, and clomid. Doctor was not aware of the cough medicine. I thought maybe that's why I hadn't gotten pregnant with clomid was b/c it was drying up my cervical mucous. So far so good, I'm hitting 13 weeks. It's the longest I've ever been pregnant and I think we owe it to the IUI process. I would talk to your doctor and get more detail so you are comfortable with it. I totally understand how you feel about the fact that you don't have any problem getting pregnant b/c neither did we. Also, here are some of the prices I paid for our IUI. My insurance didn't pay for anything other than the blood test which was a big chunk. It's a good idea to try and find out if insurance will cover the infectious diseases screening w/o mentioning it is for infertility. You will need to know the codes when you call your insurance. Otherwise, your doctor may offer some type of discount through their office for those who's insurance doesn't cover it. Mine did. Clomid was $30 for 6 pills. Follicle scan was about $150, you do this before you can be prescribed clomid, then again (should be optional) prior to ovulation since you can detect ovulation with a kit. If you are using a digital ovulation predictor then you will know exactly when you ovulate. I used the clear blue easy 7 pak of digitals $35. The sperm wash was $180, and then $150 if you need the sperm stimulant. IUI was was $170. Then your next test would be a blood pregnancy test of which your insurance should cover. So maybe it won't be quite as expensive as $1500. Also, I don't know how much the superovulation was but it was optional so I didn't do it especially since I know I ovulate.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search