Saw my RE today. Lots to think about

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC after recurrent loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Well I saw my doctor. it could have been better news, but certainly could have been worse. It seems he feels we have three choices at this point.

1. He said I could try the injectable progesterone treatment. The progesterone replacement treatment I think he called it? Something like that anyhow. Basically it would help to increase my progesterone levels to help with the possibility of a luteal phase defect. He mentioned that if that is not the problem, then I'm looking at the possibility of another miscarriage.

2. Another possibility was to use a COH, a controlled ovarian hyper-stimulation shot, without IVF. But, that increases the risk of multiples greater than three babies.

3. Same COH but with IVF. That controls the amount of fertilized eggs I carry, and he said is the best chance for success. Though he's concerned with the price of IVF and is fully aware it's a burden to most people, so he suggested I consider that as a last chance.

I think we are going to try the progesterone idea first and see how that goes. If that doesn't work then we go straight to option 3. Although the chances of having more than three babies is 1 in 20, I don't want to risk that and have to make even more difficult decisions about my future care. I will go straight for IVF. My mother already said she wants to cover me for that. I thought that was really sweet of her. I honestly was lost for words when she said that. At least at that point, if the progesterone shots aren't working, then I can go straight to the best chance I have.

Of course, if it still doesn't work, we will be considering adoption. We are aware that it's a possibility. We just aren't ready to throw in the towel for conceiving a natural baby yet. Conceive, of course, is a relative term when it comes to IVF

My doctor feels I've been pretty beaten up at this point, so he didn't feel telling me to just keep trying was the best way to approach this. So he's just giving me the options he feels is my best chance right now. I'm concerned with both my age and my multiple sclerosis. It's in remission, but the longer I wait, the higher the chance that the MS will come out of remission, and I lose my chance to be a healthy mom. I may never get the MS attacks again, but I'm not willing to wait around and bank on that.

The doctor did talk about baby aspirin, but if I DO have a clotting problem which usually shows up after 10 weeks, then the baby aspirin can backfire and make things worse, otherwise, baby aspirin doesn't hurt to try. I don't think I want to deal with that.

He didn't feel that immune issues have had enough research for him to feel comfortable about and won't even consider them. He explained why, and it's a long explanation. I'm not sure I can repeat everything, since I can't remember much at this moment.

As I read more into the COH, I get a little concerned about the side effects that some people get. Has anyone here used a shot for ovarian hypers-stimulation? If so, how did you feel?

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
February 22nd, 2007, 08:41 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, what a lot to take in at one appointment. I'm impressed with how much you remembered. Sounds like your doc is taking incredibly good care of you, which is wonderful. Having options is always good and how sweet of your mom to offer to pay for IVF. Wow!! What a blessing.

I can't help you on the COH. Hopefully option number 1 will work and you won't even have to mess with the COH. Keep us posted!
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
February 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
It's funny. I woke up this morning feeling pretty good. I recently just called my RE and said on the answering machine there that we have decided to try the progesterone shots. I wasn't sure what it was called....it had left my mind at that point. Well, now I'm waiting for a return call and I'm feeling nervous. Have I made the right decision? How confident will I be once we really start trying again?

I don't like going in to each attempt with too much doubt hovering over me. I'll admit I'm nervous, but I still feel hopeful. I was even proud of myself for making such a bold decision and feeling so good about it. I still think it's the best decision for me. I'm just nervous that I should just go straight to IVF. I really believe I can take another attempt though. I just don't like wondering if I'm walking in to another failed attempt. Not that IVF is always going to work, but the doctor feels it's the best chance for people in my situation. But even he wants me to feel comfortable in my decision.

I just have so much going through my mind as I wait for a call back from which ever doctor there would be in charge of my care. Each doctor at the office oversees different areas of someone fertility whether it be IVF, IUI, or fertility drugs or other injectable meds. However, the doctor I go to and one other doctor there, is in charge of the final decisions. My doctor makes the final decisions on my care and so forth. It works well for them and I think it helps people get answers faster by having more doctors in charge of their overall care.

February 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well - I know it sucks going into anything with doubts - but I can promise you, after all you have been through - you would likely have those same doubts whichever road you choose. When all you have had is bad outcomes, we all tend to wonder if anything is really going to help. The best anyone can do is try & choose what "feels" right. I wish you all the best & it sounds like you have a great team of Dr's to work with. Taking that step to TTC is a big one full of all kinds of uncertainty. Just know to come & ask for as much support as you need whenever you need it. WE have all been there & we will certainly hold your hand as best we can!

Best wishes!!!!
February 27th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know for me having a plan makes me feel better in general, I hope this happens for you too. I know what you mean about the "doubts". I am going to actually do injectable meds next month, not sure their names and I will be at risk for twins but I am ok with that. I just want it to work. We also don't have the $$ for IVF right up front and I'm pretty sure my parents would help but I am nervous to ask. I am so happy your mom offered, that is very sweet and loving of her to do. At least you know you have another option if this doesn't work but I hope it does. I pray it does for you sweetie! Let us know how things are going!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
March 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
I don't think I've updated in here for a little bit.

I just talked further with my doctor. He mentioned that he'd rather use the progesterone as a supplement towards COH with ro without IVF. He feels that since the prometrium and gel has not worked in the past, the shots alone will not change my chances. He'd do it if I wanted to. He has no problem with that, but he feels that I may not get any better results than I already have.

So my mother is coming to visit me at the end of March to see the doctor with me and to discuss IVF. The doctor told me that even though IVF is more commonly used for people who have trouble conceiving, it has shown to greatly improve the chances of a healthy pregnancy for people with recurrent miscarriages, such as myself. I had some more questions to ask him, and he wants to make sure I am completely comfortable with IVF before going into the treatment. It's a lot to go through so he wants me to feel as confident about it as he is. I certainly can appreciate that.

My father wants to be a part of this too. I think that's wonderful! He may not be able to make it the day of my appointment, but he's going to try. If not, he's going to try to come the next day to at least support me and talk it over with me. All this support from both my parents makes me feel really good. I don't usually get this much interest from either of them on matters of my life. Not that they don't want to hear it and support me over the phone. My mother does like to come and support me in person. With almost every miscarriage I've had, she's wanted to travel up from Florida to support me, but I usually turn her down. I appreciate her support, but I feel that Jason, my DH, does a wonderful job on his own, and I prefer to have more personal time to grieve than to have company watching me. This event, however, I could really use the support with my decision making. So, when my mother heard me tell her my doctor wanted to talk to her and I'd like her to be here, she jumped at it. I talked to my father, and he immediately said he wanted to be there, but he won't know his work schedule and if he can excuse himself until the middle of March. That's ok. I'm just happy that they both want to be a part of this.

I hate having to wait until the end of March to find out if we are going ahead with this decision sooner or later. But, considering how much work I'll have to put into the treatment, I know it's for the best to not rush things. I just hate waiting for a decision or at least answers and information. I'm patient, and I'll wait as long as I have to, but I can still complain about it in the mean time.

March 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Timberwolf- so glad to know you have so much support. That's wonderful! Good luck on your decisions and with your parent's visit!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search