Having trouble deciding whether to TTC again

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC after recurrent loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Super Mommy
It's still VERY early for me since my loss 2 weeks ago. I just cant' stop thinking about what I want to do. I'm sure I'm not the only one to go through these questions, which is why I'm glad I found this board. I was originally on the July board, then the loss boards.

This was my 3rd m/c. I found out at almost 15 weeks there was no heartbeat (fetus measured 11.4 weeks). I had a D&C the following day and have healed physically. They are doing some chromosone testing on the tissue and I'm not sure what to think, even though the results have NOT come back yet.

I have 4 healthy children (13, 9, 6, and 3) and my other 2 m/c occured at 10 weeks, no heartbeat, fetus measured 8 weeks. All were D&C's and non were consecutive.

This baby was a surpise for us and we were NOT planning on having any more children. However we got used to the idea and were very excited. Now I'm just not sure if I want to go through all of this again. I'm almost 38 and am concerned about having a higher chance of problems IF the testing comes back as a chromosone problem.

Did any of you go through these questions? How did you make the decision to TTC?
DD 9
DD 6
m/c at 10 weeks (March 2003)
DD 3
m/c at 14 weeks 3 days (Jan 2008) (BOY)

January 25th, 2008, 07:50 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had our first when we were 29 and then decided we were done. Then, 2 years ago (age 34), we decided to try again. We got pg very quickly, then lost that one. Got pg quickly again and lost that one a bit further along. Doc tested the second loss and we learned we'd lost them both to Trisomy 16, probably due to the age of my eggs. The only way I was able to try again was by giving the whole process up to God and knowing that He would get me through it, whether that resulted in a successful pg or another loss. Without that faith, I couldn't have tried again and I wouldn't have Alex.

Working with my OB made a difference, too. He was supportive of testing, he put me on progesterone supplements for the first trimester with Alex, he did 5 u/s in the first trimester and at every appointment thereafter, and he offered to send me for a level II u/s to check for any potential problems. With a history of recurrent loss and that I would turn 35 during the pg, I was glad that my doc treated me as a high risk patient and provided that extra level of care.

I suppose it's really a matter of reviewing the risks, seeing what level of care is available for you, and then searching your heart to decide how much you can handle. I see "odds" as just a statistical number that may or may not apply to a particular person. I don't put much stock in numbers, but that may be because I've seen so many statistics broken by the ladies here who now have babies "despite the odds".
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
January 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for your story.

I was just reading some of the "odds" and they're definately not in my favor, although I have 4 healthy and uncomplicated pregnancies with normal deliveries. It was almost depressing to read the statistics.

I understand what you're sayng about having faith. I think that's the only thing that will make a difference.
DD 9
DD 6
m/c at 10 weeks (March 2003)
DD 3
m/c at 14 weeks 3 days (Jan 2008) (BOY)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search