Log In Sign Up

ANAs, anti phosphatidylethanolamine (IgM)... and one freaked out me


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnant after recurrent loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
August 28th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: France
Posts: 3,736
I think the title says it all;
after my miscarriages I knew that I had 1:640 ANAs.
I also knew that the other antibodies which I don't want to type again were moderately positive.

I just got my results back. My ANAs are still at 1:640 but the anti phosphatidylethanolamines went UP! And are now clearly positive.


I'm taking baby aspirin so hopefully that'll be enough at least until I can see a specialist in 3 weeks. But still, I'm afraid.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
August 28th, 2010, 08:04 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,740
I think the baby asprin will be a huge help to you until you get in to see a specialist. They might end up putting you on blood thinners if they think you're at serious risk. Hang in there! We'll keep you in our prayers!
__________________

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*


Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
August 28th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,553
I've been thinking about you. I don't know a lot about all of that, but I really hope the aspirin works for you. (((HUGS)))
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
August 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: France
Posts: 3,736
Thank you both for the hugs and prayers!

From what Dr Google says (the ONLY doctor who seems to be open today, my GP, AND gynecologist are closed on Saturdays) it looks like Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome
is a real possibility. I got this info here Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome Information ~ APSFA,

Quote:
APS and Pregnancy Complications

Women with APS may have difficulties with pregnancy. During pregnancy, women are at higher risk of developing blood clots and preeclampsia. In APS, pregnancies are thought to be lost because blood clots form in the placenta and starve the baby of nutrition. Some women may have trouble getting pregnant, while others may experience repeated miscarriages. Blood clots that develop in the placenta can cause fetal growth problems, fetal distress, preterm birth, or pregnancy loss.

Expert care and close monitoring of the pregnancy is essential by a doctor knowledgeable about APS. During pregnancy, physicians may recommend low doses of aspirin and daily injections of the blood thinning drug, heparin. This gives the fetus about an 80% chance of survival, a drastic improvement from the 1980's when fetal survival was around 20%. The therapy is started at the beginning of pregnancy and halted just before delivery to reduce the risk of bleeding during childbirth. Soon after birth, the treatment resumes for about six weeks because of an increased risk for clotting in the postpartum period. In a more serious case preeclampsia may set in towards the end of pregnancy and a planned premature birth may be necessary. Heparin can cause bone loss, so women may need to take additional calcium during pregnancy. In addition, women need to be monitored for development of a low platelet count.

Over the long term, many doctors recommend women continue to take a low dose of aspirin to reduce the risk of developing dangerous blood clots. Many women with APS are unaware they have the condition, but it can be diagnosed with a blood test. Doctors may consider the diagnosis when a woman has repeated, unexplained pregnancy loss.

If you are trying to get pregnant or are pregnant it is very important to let your doctor know immediately. Continued use of warfarin may cause birth defects. The doctor will change your medication to a different blood thinner that is safe. Using proper treatment, women with APS have about the same risks as other women during pregnancy.

APS pregnancies are not normal. Normal pregnancy is 40 weeks. In APS, it is more common to deliver the baby between 30-35 weeks, and between 3-5 pounds. Heparin protects the placenta partially, but not fully so that the baby gets enough nutrition to survive longer in the mother. Once born, the babies do fine.

Many women who have problems with APS during pregnancy are completely fine when not pregnant. Others do go on to develop problems with clotting. Currently there is no way of telling which women will be unlucky, until a clot actually occurs.

Infertility has also been linked to antiphospholipid antibodies. Testing for these antibodies is becoming routine in infertility clinics.
So of course I'm not sure this is what this is, and I won't be until 3 weeks from now when I finally get in to see a specialist. But I do have a clearer idea and I guess I can rest with the thought that I'm taking the best possible treatment given what we know (and given what we don't know yet).
I'm still scared. And it's sinking in that I may never be "out of the woods" in pregnancy since it appears complications can happen at any point.

Also, I already have protein in my urine (0.33 when under 0.10 is normal) so I'm not sure what's up with that.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
August 28th, 2010, 10:29 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,740
This sounds very similar to what I was semi diagnosed with. They know I have SOME kind of blood clotting issue going on, but the test results are never super clear. I never took blood thinners, but I am 100% convinced that the baby asprin saved Grace's life.

I also developed pre-e around 28 weeks, and had her at 34 weeks. If you have protein in your urine, they'll definitely want to keep an eye on that. But remember, unless you have abnormally high blood pressure along with the protein, it's probably just a bladder infection (totally normal and common in early pregnancy.)

Anyways, I can't wait for you to find out what the specialist's course of action will be! Hang in there and try to take it one day at a time. Hugs!
__________________

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*


Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
August 28th, 2010, 06:55 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,612
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
*hugs*
__________________

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
August 28th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,553
Very interesting and frighting. I hope the specialist can shine some light on this for you. Will continue thinking about you and praying.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
August 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM
austinmommy3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,056
Keep up the baby aspirin and hang in there. I have been wondering how you were as well.
__________________








Reply With Quote
  #9  
August 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: France
Posts: 3,736
Thank you all

Here's a little update on me. So I had brown spotting last night, then nothing at all today, until tonight. I had a bright red spot as well as some brown spots on the TP.
So I'm quite worried and I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow, she said to stop the aspirin if I began to bleed so I'll ask how much blood means I need to stop.

About the protein, I'm getting retested, I need to collect it for 24 hours this time, I'll do it on Sunday because I have to go to work this week.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
August 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,553
Hoping the spotting is nothing. Praying hard!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0