Mean mommy

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a feeling that my quest to protect my children from chemicals, artificial colors and flavors, etc...is going to make me have to be a mean mommy for the rest of my kids' lives...

My oldest is turning 2 on the 19th and we had a small family party for him tonight. My BIL and his fiance got him some crayola bath crayons and bath drops that change the bath water's color. He was really excited about them and I hope that come tomorrow he has forgotten them b.c there is no way I am letting him sit in a tub full of yellow #5.

We also grilled hot dogs for his party. Everyone else had kosher beef hot dogs, but he and I had gluten free, nitrate free turkey dogs. It made me realize that he is going to be invited to parties and gatherings as he gets older where there won't be mommy's special hot dogs. I don't want to be a mean mom and make him not participate in activities other kids are, but I also want to protect him from all that harmful junk!

Do any of you have older kids and are going through this? Or for your younger kids, how are you planning on addressing these issues in the future?

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

August 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I have thought this before when we went vegan last year. One thing we don't let Kailey drink (except when at a restaurant) is milk. When she is at my sister's house she KNOWS she can drink milk there so she gets it all the time.

Not sure how to deal with it though. I guess raising them to be health conscious will still impact them largely when they make decisions when they go to a friend's house. They will probably grow up preferring the food they're used to and want to take some w/ them or something ya know?

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Team Green Predicted A Boy

August 7th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How old is Kailey? I struggle with the milk thing. I was raised with the thinking that milk is the best thing for kids, but I don't drink it so why would I want my kids to? What do you use as an alternative to ensure she gets the calcium and vitamins she needs?

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

August 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Kailey turned 4 on August 1st. We just don't do milk. I am having a really hard time getting her to eat veggies. I just made a post about it today on the AP board. I'm at my wits end. I feel like a horrible mommy because it said chicken pox can be caused from a poor diet but I've done everything I can think of to get her to eat vegetables!

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Team Green Predicted A Boy

August 8th, 2010, 07:25 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaiden has a special diet so this will always be something we have to deal with. I will teach him about nutrition from early on so hopefully he will continue with it later in life.

And if he ever throws a fit over not being able to eat what everybody else eats, I do have 2 videos of his seizures I took for his dr that I can show him so he can literally see what will happen.

Last edited by greenchild; August 8th, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
August 8th, 2010, 09:44 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i only buy certain foods for my house and my daughter eats the healthy food that i buy. i just let her enjoy those other junky food on occasion when we are at another kid's party or whatever...since i know she doesn't eat them all the time i don't let it get to me as much as i used to.
we drink almond milk, and by drink i mean put in in our cereal or drink like 1/2 a cup here and there. i am lactose intolerant and my daughter happened to love almond milk so cows milk never became an issue really. she has tried cows milk, but doesn't like it as much.
i find that she prefers the way the healthier stuff tastes, which is great. i don't know if it's because that's what she's used to or what. we went to a b-day party yesterday and on the way there i offered her a juice box of organic fruit punch...she drank it all on the way there and then we we got there she wasn't thirsty and didn't even want to drink the gross kool-aid! there was also a table of snacks and she chose pretzels and sun chips over doritos and cheetos.

i think you can do your best to offer your children healthy choices and hopefully as they get older it will stay with them.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search