Healing through Natural Health for my conditions?

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Hello ladies. Anne and Jackie know me well, and I really want to join up and participate more on this board. I'm Sharron, aged 35 from the UK.

I'm hoping for some advice and suggestions.

I suffer from three conditions which are the bane of my life right now, though I know it could be soooo much worse so I try not to moan!
Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Dairy intolerance, and High cholesterol.

Trying to come up with a diet that helps control all three of them is an utter nightmare!

The IBS is triggered mostly by stress and dairy produce, especially cheese and cream.

I am vegetarian, but now I know I have high cholesterol, I cannot eat many nuts - walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts and almonds are ok in small quantities - and I need to cap how many eggs I eat. So getting protein is a bit nightmarish.

I'm trying to eat more naturally - dried fruit, fresh fruit, fresh veg, salad, pasta, mushrooms and my allotted allowance of nuts and eggs. It's so boring though that I find it SO hard to stick to.

I'm just having one minor health blip after another right now from acne (which I think is being triggered by use of soya products such as soya milk, looking at the pattern of the flare-ups) to weak immune system.

ANY advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

November 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I've mentioned before a raw food diet (which is basically going back to how we used to eat a long looong time ago). Now, I know a lot of protein comes from nuts and what not, but I believe it comes from other sources too, as to what, I don't know because I'm not that smart

Soy isn't really as great as it's made to sound and wheat can cause many problems as well. In general... grains can too I think.

I would suggest researching raw foods more (they do have tons of recipes so you don't get bored!), as I've only researched it a little here and there throughout the years.

If you have Netflix you might want to watch the documentary Food Matters, it's pretty cool and talks about health & food and raw food.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I highly agree with Jackie on the raw diet and I strongly urge you to look into Leaky Gut Syndrome. This is a pretty informative website Symptoms of Leaky Gut Syndrome

This is what I would recommend you do, it's not going to be easy!! Virgin Coconut Oil Detox | The Cure Manual I've been doing this with Lola because she has a recurring yeast infection that is very difficult to get under control. All because she's allergic to wheat But i can't bring myself (yet) to put her on it for more than 36 hours . . . but I'm gonna have to change her diet to raw I think rather than dry kibble or we may never see the end of it.
November 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Thank you both.

Jackie, I will have a look at that tomorrow.

Anne, you're right - Leaky Gut syndrome covers many of the symptoms I suffer!

I AM trying to eat a lot of raw foods since you both mentioned it, as mentioned above. My downfalls are chocolate (which I really, really can't give up because it's the only blooming treat I have left after having to give up cream, cheese, yogurts, cakes and biscuits over the years - so any suggestions of the best type of chocolate, just to have 1-2 small squares per day or something, would be excellent) and cereal, which I have been eating as a snack since I found out I had high cholesterol.

The beauty products thing is interesting because I have been wondering if it's been provoking rashes and I AM looking at that. I'm thinking I'm gonna start buying bath stuff and shampoo from Holland & Barrett's instead of Boots for this reason, or looking into how to make my own from totally natural ingredients. Again...advice would be appreciated.

Caffeine and alcohol I have deffo toned down - and processed foods. Don't eat dairy products anyway because of my IBS. I agree, though Jackie, I'm not sure soy is the answer for me. Shaun has suggested I try rice milk instead, what do you think of this?

Anne, the Leaky Gut stuff says to avoid dried fruits, but this is one of the best things I can eat for high cholesterol according to the nurse and one of the few snacks I can have guilt-free at work. Advice please as to acceptable amounts, I'm a little down-in-the-mouth to read that.
Also, what things apart from bread and cakes contain gluten?
Do flatbreads and wholemeal breads still contain gluten?
Are gluten-free supermarket/health food shop brands ok? I work a lot and really, really don't have time to cook EVERYTHING from fresh. I wish I did, but I just don't. Advice please.

Anne, I have saved that link to my favourites and am going to read the articles and look at the book store with a view to Xmas presents.

Sorry about all the questions both.

November 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy*Angel*Warrior*Muse View Post
Thank you both.

Jackie, I will have a look at that tomorrow.

Anne, you're right - Leaky Gut syndrome covers many of the symptoms I suffer!

I AM trying to eat a lot of raw foods since you both mentioned it, as mentioned above. My downfalls are chocolate (which I really, really can't give up because it's the only blooming treat I have left after having to give up cream, cheese, yogurts, cakes and biscuits over the years - so any suggestions of the best type of chocolate, just to have 1-2 small squares per day or something, would be excellent) and cereal, which I have been eating as a snack since I found out I had high cholesterol.

The beauty products thing is interesting because I have been wondering if it's been provoking rashes and I AM looking at that. I'm thinking I'm gonna start buying bath stuff and shampoo from Holland & Barrett's instead of Boots for this reason, or looking into how to make my own from totally natural ingredients. Again...advice would be appreciated.

Caffeine and alcohol I have deffo toned down - and processed foods. Don't eat dairy products anyway because of my IBS. I agree, though Jackie, I'm not sure soy is the answer for me. Shaun has suggested I try rice milk instead, what do you think of this?

Anne, the Leaky Gut stuff says to avoid dried fruits, but this is one of the best things I can eat for high cholesterol according to the nurse and one of the few snacks I can have guilt-free at work. Advice please as to acceptable amounts, I'm a little down-in-the-mouth to read that.
Also, what things apart from bread and cakes contain gluten?
Do flatbreads and wholemeal breads still contain gluten?
Are gluten-free supermarket/health food shop brands ok? I work a lot and really, really don't have time to cook EVERYTHING from fresh. I wish I did, but I just don't. Advice please.

Anne, I have saved that link to my favourites and am going to read the articles and look at the book store with a view to Xmas presents.

Sorry about all the questions both.
I haven't given up chocolate either But it's in much smaller amounts now. Now that I rarely eat it, I'm finding that the sugar content in my favorite chocolate snack makes my knees ache??? oh well, I should probably cut those out anyway! I would go for the chocolates with the least amount of sugar, highest percentage of cocoa. Remember, if you DO have a yeast overgrowth in your gut, it feeds on sugar!!! And yes, dried fruits are very high in sugar. Some places even ADD sugar to dried fruits to make them sweeter!! If you don't have a yeast issue (and you may very well have one right now) then you can safely consume a couple ounces a day of them.

One thing that's really interesting . . . once you switch your diet over, you lose your taste for the things that aren't good for you. Or at least, once your body has healed, you will definitely notice the side effects if you go back to eating the unhealthy foods. So although breads still taste very good to me, OMG do I ever get stopped up and bloated now for a couple days if I indulge!! SO uncomfortable, it's just not worth it.

Natural skin care recipes - I posted a bunch over on the Green Mommies board, it's in the recipes sticky Some ingredients you will most likely only be able to get online, I know of several great retailers online here in the US, but not sure about the UK. You can always add in the really raw (opaque) honey to your lotion before putting it on your skin, that should help. It took about 2 weeks but mine has REALLY cleared up from what it was and the new breakouts aren't near as bad.

Dairy products . . . watch your ingredient labels - Just because it's not milk or cheese or yogurt or icecream, doesn't mean it doesn't have dairy in it. This is a good list to read:
Go Dairy Free | Hidden Dairy

I would advise to stay far away from soy and rice. Soy can cause just as many problems as dairy. Rice is a controversial one, some say it's bad, other say it's fine. Some say it messes with your blood sugar/insulin and other say it doesn't - I go by the paleo diet standards - if it HAS to be cooked in order to eat it . . . don't eat it.

Same with grains. Read your ingredient labels, so many things have soy, wheat or corn in them. Wheat, oats, barley, corn, rye, & bran all have gluten. This is going to be the majority of breads/cereals. I would stay away from gluten-free pastas/breads as well. Grains sit longer in your gut, not allowing other foods to be digested properly, leading to constipation, bloating, & gas. Grains inhibit the absorbtion of certain nutrients, especially calcium. If you remove grains from your diet, you do not need dairy or any other calcium supplement - you get all the calcium you need from fresh veggies and nice dark leafy greens. Grains are also linked to Leaky Gut. You will need to eliminate grains. We do grain free here and I have not regretted it one bit!! - And I HAVE regretted every indulgence, enough to make it not worth indulging anymore.

Legumes are on the same order as grains, they have to be cooked first in order to be eaten. Like grains, they also inhibit nutrient absorbtion and contribute to inflammation. This is all beans, including soy, and peanuts.

Nightshade foods were mainly avoided in the raw (paleo) diet because they weren't availble then; they are considered a "new world" food. You know why we avoid them but I recommend anybody avoid them.

I know that Shaun is a vegetarian and you want to support him in that . . . but the BEST diet out there IMO is the raw diet, whether you do the really raw version (everything is raw, including eggs & meat) or the cooked version, where you cook only what your preference is. The interesting thing about it is you get most of your nutrition from meats & meat fats. You want a HIGH intake of meat fats - it's like the ketogenic diet for epilepsy, you get your energy stores from fats, not carbs.

How to make meals quick and easy? If you do choose to eat meat: throw a roast in the crockpot. It can simmer all day while you are gone. Cold fatty roast makes an excellent snack!! Get the high fat yummy cuts that most people won't touch, like (example: beef) heart & tongue. Beef tongue is my all time favorite cut of meat

Eat your veggies & fruits raw, then there is no preparation to them, except maybe cutting them up. Boil up a bunch of eggs and keep them in the fridge to snack on. They will keep for a few days. Bake up a few squashes and freeze the squash meat.

Fatty meats will make you feel fuller longer than just veggies, fruits, nuts & seeds.

I hope that helps!! Let me know if you have any other questions, you know I'm here to help! xxxxx
November 10th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Oh dear lord Anne...

Sharon I have many of the same questions you do, as I too am trying to gradually move towards a raw diet!!

Anne, you are an encyclopedia. I can't wait to have time to read this tomorrow! LOL!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 11th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have read it once, though it's late here, and I will want to read it again 2 or 3 times.

Glad to hear I can still have a little dried fruit and a little chocolate.

Point taken about the vege thing BUT I am not ONLY doing vegetarian to support Shaun. I have been a vegetarian 3 times before and it's something I've always wanted to do for various reasons including morals as well as spiritual advancement. Also, I'm not supposed to eat red meat or fatty meat because of the high cholesterol, so whether meat fats are good for leaky gut sufferers or not, I can't have 'em. They're the worst thing I could eat for high cholesterol. So I can't really use that suggestion. Do white meats and fish contain some of the "good" fats? I am allowing myself either/or once a week in the interests of being balanced and getting enough protein.

(Nor could I EVER face meat or eggs raw lol, I can tell you that now).

I will have to reduce grains then, although again, difficult with a diet that's limited to begin with, but perhaps if I only have bread or pasta once per week or something. It's just something that little more substantial that's ok for the high cholesterol and ok for the IBS, kwim? Besides which I work 3 days per week and there's not a lot I can take for my lunches. We only get half an hour and I cannot rush my food so there isn't time to have hot lunches. I do sometimes take just celery/carrot sticks and the like but sometimes a sandwich is all I have time to make! I guess I'll get more into the routine the more I do this, right? But I'm not going to stress about it, I have enough to be stressed about.

It's not that I'm being obstructive, it's just that I really don't think I can take on ANOTHER strict diet on top of the trying to be vegetarian, the diet I have to have because of IBS and the diet I have to have because of high cholesterol. It's so stressful as it is thinking of what I can eat every time I get hungry and I don't have much spare time at all to kind of sit down and plan things out or read loads of links about it. I know I work part-time but I still work 3 days per week and then have study and appointments for Daniel and house jobs to do the other days. And Daniel about at weekends! I do want to improve what I eat, however, and will take on whatever I can of the advice, but I can't promise I'll be perfect, because I know I can't be.

I will definitely avoid the soya stuff after what's been said about it. Anne, what about actual rice? Is actual rice ok to eat? I won't bother with the rice milk. I can cut out beans/legumes. I don't eat peanuts anyway (baaad for high cholesterol).
I know you've probably given it to us before but do you have a link for a list of nightshade foods Anne?

I will look at the dairy free link at the weekend and also the recipes in the sticky you posted on Green Mommies. That's interesting about dairy being included in things you wouldn't expect. I'm struggling to get the raw honey, I have looked for a source in the UK and have not yet found one, but I will keep looking. My skin is not so bad this week but there have been some bad breakouts over the last month or so, but I think they're possibly connected to eating soya foods anyway, so not eating those solves that one.

November 11th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Sharron, have you considered that by going raw you're health problems will become completely cured and non-existent? That's the great thing about it. All the hard work is in making the change and the health benefits just change on their own. Then you wouldn't have to worry about eating specifically for IBS or for your gut OR for high cholesterol because you won't have it anymore... This is a likely scenario if you go raw. That food documentary called Food Matters can give you more "real" information than what I'm spouting off here But yea.... health and our diet is 100% connected.

Let us know how any changes you make affect you!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiana View Post
Sharron, have you considered that by going raw you're health problems will become completely cured and non-existent? That's the great thing about it. All the hard work is in making the change and the health benefits just change on their own. Then you wouldn't have to worry about eating specifically for IBS or for your gut OR for high cholesterol because you won't have it anymore... This is a likely scenario if you go raw. That food documentary called Food Matters can give you more "real" information than what I'm spouting off here But yea.... health and our diet is 100% connected.

Let us know how any changes you make affect you!

I was just coming on to say that Jackie!! Also, your high cholesterol will disappear too. I think within 6 months your blood levels should be stabilized.

It is a hard change to make at first, but well worth the effort in the end.

Oh! Before I forget - I realize forgoing meat will help spiritually, and yes you can get nice fats from fish for white meat . . . if you eat chicken breast - get the kind with the skin on, and leave the skin on and eat the skin! There's lots of good fats there too. (I just had chicken for supper - YUM!!)

You can supplement your fat intake by cooking with coconut oil or olive oil, and my personal favorite, full-fat (not the lite) coconut milk!! YUM!!! I could just about drink it straight . .. it's wonderfully sweet and filling with its high fat content. Pour it over fruit, use it when cooking meats . . . oh sooooo good! You can also use it to make a WONDERFUL latte . . . about 1/4 mug of coconut milk, fill the rest with hot water, add a chai tea bag and a spoonful of honey . . . mmmmmmm . . . . Avacados are another good source of plant fats.

What I would suggest to get started is that virgin coconut oil detox in that other link - do that for a few days to let your gut heal (thereby taking care of IBS & Leaky Gut). Then go straight to the raw diet. No grains, no dairy, no legumes. I do stay away from rice since you do have to cook it in order to eat it. My personal preference.

Nightshade foods = tomatoes, potatoes, jicamas, all peppers (bell, cayene, jalepeno, chili, habenero, any peppers at all! - peppercorn is okay though, not part of the nightshade family), eggplant, paprika, ground cherries, goji (wolf) berries, tomatillos; those are all the ones I know about. There's more that are native to Mexico and I don't have access to them here anyway. Modified food starch = potatoes. "Spice Extractives" usually contains paprika. Also watch for "natural flavors" bc you never know what's in them. Some candies even use paprika for coloring!! Most websites only list a few members of the nightshade family, not all of them.

I will tell you right now though that if you give up grains, and then indulge in them . . . you will feel so sluggish, bloated, and constipated, it's not fun!! If you ever wanted to lose weight . . . giving up grains will do it Every time I indulged, I put 3 lbs on!!! until it was out of my system.

It seems a monumental task but it's really not as bad as it seems I promise!!
November 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I do believe you Anne. I also take on what you're both saying about health becoming so improved the IBS and high cholesterol will fade. However...right now, they haven't, and I have diet sheets I have to follow regarding the high cholesterol until the levels DO reduce...kwim? So I can't immediately begin to eat things like red meats, vegetarian or no. Coconut is another big no-no, as are most types of nuts excepting small amounts of walnuts, pecans, almonds and hazelnuts.

I think I'm just going to have to approach this step by step, and nightshade foods is going to have to come way down the line because I eat a lot of tomatoes and peppers and I can't face cutting yet another thing out of my diet right now! I've already cut biscuits and cakes (and I LOVE biscuits and always have) and am now looking to cut out bread and pasta.

I do know you know your stuff Anne, honestly, I just have to make this do-able for me.

I'll have to have more of a look at your recommended reading when I have more space, at Christmas or something. There just isn't time right now. And I do not mean that my health isn't a priority, but there isn't time aside from work and study and then having a little down-time, which I have started to realise I need because my stress levels directly affect my IBS.

Thanks for all your help and advice ladies. I really appreciate you taking time to help me. I understand that if I switch to a completely raw diet it would alter my health and everything anyway but I am not ready for that yet, I would have to do a lot of reading into it when I do have substantial time to do so. I think there are quite a lot of suggestions I can use here to improve things and begin to work towards resolving them in the meantime, and the leaky gut information really is extremely interesting and there is likely to be something in that for me.

I will post with progress updates and keep this thread bookmarked. Thanks again!

November 12th, 2010, 09:44 AM
You know we definitely want updates xxxx
November 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I know what you mean Sharron... every time I read about diet and changing... it's so daunting and I become very overwhelmed. Take it step by step, that really is best and do update us!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 12th, 2010, 05:30 PM
you know, it's been 9 years since I started changing my diet. And I finally went raw this year. To me, it seems really easy now, but I'm sure if I thought about being this far at the begining, I'd have probably thought it was daunting.
November 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry, just skimmed this. I used to have IBS too, now I take this, and dont have any issues whatsoever. My reflux is gone too, and I dont get sick anymore

New Roots Acidophilus Ultra 60 caps 11 B
Theres a lot of great info on that site, thats why I switched from just a simple probiotic to this on.

November 26th, 2010, 01:18 PM
NiKA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sorry I'm a late comer to this post - and fairly new & shy to the board
*quietly waves hello*

I'll also suggest the raw or as much raw as you can diet.
Coconut Oil IS good for choelesterol the fats that are in there are healthy fats. There are 3 types of saturated fats (what people call bad fats) and the medium chain that is in the coconut oil is the same type that's in human breast milk

Also you don't have to worry about the chocolate your eating if your eating GOOD chocolate. You can buy Raw Cacao. Which tastes like unsweeted (because it's raw & unprocessed) and This is really good for you. It's high in a lot of minerals like magnesium & iron too

As well noticing the foods that you find affect you, looks like they all are in the 'fat' family. Have you ever thought of supplementing with enzymes? Specifically an enzyme blend that contains Lipase - the one that breaks down and helps your body to digest fats? As well when looking for an enzyme try to make sure it's not a 'pancreatic' enzyme. Those are usually not as efficient as say a plant enzyme or a cultured enzyme (where they are grown in specific conditions)

HTH

p.s wow you ladies are knowledgeable! It's so great reading your posts/replies!
November 27th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Ty both for sharing! That's great info!!!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

December 4th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I am going through a situation right now where I have had similar symptoms. I got help from finding three onlinepagesne on a site to do with yeast infection which gives helpful foods and dietary advice, and also reading the post on IBS symptoms on johnreason website and the last was a site I think called Natural Detox tips;secondly, after changing my diet I noticed I still felt woozy after stressful work days and my gut didn't feel right-so I went to a local naturopath and what's good about that was he identified that I did have IBS and other problems I wasn't aware of i.e higher than normal blood sugar,presence of parasites and a Vitamin B deficiency. He prescribed a good Probiotic, a parasite cleanse, a liver cleanser and a glucose manager and prescribed Vitamins and this, together with a natural yeast cure product I ordered from the website have returned me to almost full health.
December 7th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Perhaps I need to see a naturopath to help me identify the priorities in what to do to feel better.

I haven't eaten pasta for a while and am cutting down on potatoes...I have also stopped using soya products as suggested in here. This seems to have gotten rid of the acne problems so I suspect I was right about them causing it...am also not eating as much quorn for the same reason. Though I'm vegetarian I allow myself fish or chicken on Mondays to get some "good" fats and proteins. I am still trying to keep up my vegetarianism otherwise though, simply because it's something I truly believe in.

Still eating bread I'm afraid. I'd like to find a way around bread/grains but it's problematic when I work half the week - I need something I can eat for lunch at work that doesn't need cooking or heating (we don't have adquate facilities) at work. I'm ok in the summer as can have salad, but in the winter I'm stumped, salad is neither filling nor comforting or warming for the cold weather. Does anyone happen to know whether flatbreads are better than regular bread in this regard?

Nika - any ideas on where I can get natural cacao on a single parent's budget based on a part-time wage?

I'm still unsure on the coconut - I've been told by the practitioners at my GP's surgery to avoid coconut as it's the worst possible nut I could eat with high cholesterol. I'm afraid I'm not just going to ignore their advice, but I will research more into this when I get time to in the holidays.

Of course we've switched to seasonal, locally-produced, organic veggies as well recently and I am REALLY enjoying those. And because I fill up on them and they taste really great I feel like I'm getting a treat and don't feel so much like snacking in between. That and the fact that I know snacks other than fruit are not good for me. I barely eat biscuits anymore (that is a real achievement for me) - though I do plan to indulge a LITTLE over Christmas.

I'm sure those will help. I'm also drinking a lot of boiled water instead of other types of hot drink. I only allow myself one tea or coffee or hot chocolate per day and after that it's water, fruit juice, or herbal/fruit tea. I'm very partial to lemon and ginger tea in particular.

I haven't had any IBS symptoms for weeks, anyway, and like I say, the skin flare-ups have stopped. Since I got rid of my throat infection (touch wood) I haven't come down with anymore bugs after a terrible run. However I am very tired, aching and lethargic a lot of the time and am struggling to get up in the mornings: I don't know whether that's S.A.D., the fact that I haven't had a holiday from work since summer, or a return of post-viral fatigue syndrome which I suffered as a student, after all the run of bugs and infections I had. If it is the PVFS nothing is going to put it right apart from rest in the Xmas hols, but if anyone has any tips for energy-giving foods or supplements that WON'T flare up my IBS or suspected leaky gut, or aggravate my cholesterol, they'd be appreciated! I'm already eating tons of fruit!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search