massages...chiro appt...

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
do you get massages if so how often?

so you see a chiropractor? how often?

just curious. iv been a massage therapist for about 11 years now (although i dont work as a therapist anymore except for family.) i know the importance of it but im wondering if it is something others realize.

whats your opinion on the practice?

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

August 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never been to one but am actually looking into going. My back has been messed up since I did gymnastics so long as a kid, and being pregnant didn't help it. I am hoping getting it aligned can help me with other things too (I have heard it can help with earaches and allergies among other things).

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 22nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Funny, I've been thinking a lot about chiros lately. I've never had it done, I always hear people say once you get it done one time you have to always go back. I have a pinched nerve in my back that I've had since I was 15 due to carrying those huge waiter trays when I was a server. And sitting at the computer irritates it. It's been causing me a lot more problems lately.

As for massages, I don't get them (from DH either). I'm not big into them, or maybe it's because DH is too rough. But I DO give him one about 5x a week. He has a smashed lumbar from his motorcycle accident.

Another thing - deep tissue massages. I hear they are great to remove the toxins from the body and can make you feel sick for a few days while the body is detoxing from it - however same "myth" (hopefully) that once you start you can't stop?

What do you think Bella?

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 23rd, 2011, 06:14 AM
both alignments from chiros and massages from therapist are very good for you. once you start - you CAN stop but its just good for you to do it and it can be very addictive. iv never been aligned by a chiro, but i work in close relations with them. its good to get an alignment then get a massage right after. the chiro works on the bones, joints and such and the therapist works on the muscles, tendeons and such.

as for deep tissue M's - they DO release the toxins and CAN make you a little tired for a day or two. those rumors are true to a point. depends on how much toxins are in the body. but to really get rid of toxins by massage you should do a lymphatic massage coupled with A deep tissue and followed by a relaxing - depending on the person, the usual combo would be about four to five visits. i normally recommend (again depending on the person, their activity level and their occupation along with any ailments) a massage about twice a month.

that being said: i dont do that myself unfortunatly. due to conflicting monitary views atm.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

August 23rd, 2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the info Bella!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
welcome

also, you should not get a massage when you are ill - it makes the illness intensify and you feel crappier. just sayin.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

August 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 25th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Veteran
I just started going to a chiropractor after breastfeeding two kids and having poor posture. It has been wonderful and other kinks that I had that I have ignored for years have been adjusted and feel great! I've been going for about 3-4 weeks at first a few times a week and now once every week to 10 days. My next appt is now in three weeks and after that hopefully not for quite a while.
August 26th, 2011, 06:08 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone know how much a visit to the chiropractor is on average? I just learned that Tricare (even Tricare standard like we have) will not cover chiropractic care for some reason

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 26th, 2011, 06:44 AM
they cand range anywhere from about 25 - 75 dollars. when you look for a chiropractor ask if they have multiple visit deal or if they might have cupons out somewhere.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

August 26th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Bella, what is your opinion on those who have spinal injuries going to a chiro?

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 26th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacred Secrets View Post
Bella, what is your opinion on those who have spinal injuries going to a chiro?
you should have really good talk with your chiropractor first. always be honest and tell them when, how and what has happened and how it is since it happened. they will be able to give you good info on how and why they will have to work with the area. also, you will probably be getting xrays and more diagnostic testing with them. your first visit to a chiro is very indepth (or should be, if its not, there is probably a better chiro for you).

im not sure if there is certain things they wont work with or not. i know there is certain things that a therapist wont work with. for example: i will NOT work on any one who has a blood clot. the massage could cause it to travel and/or release. SOOOOO not a good thing.

do you have a spinal injury jackie?

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

August 26th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellazx2 View Post
you should have really good talk with your chiropractor first. always be honest and tell them when, how and what has happened and how it is since it happened. they will be able to give you good info on how and why they will have to work with the area. also, you will probably be getting xrays and more diagnostic testing with them. your first visit to a chiro is very indepth (or should be, if its not, there is probably a better chiro for you).

im not sure if there is certain things they wont work with or not. i know there is certain things that a therapist wont work with. for example: i will NOT work on any one who has a blood clot. the massage could cause it to travel and/or release. SOOOOO not a good thing.

do you have a spinal injury jackie?
Not so much me. I've had scoliosis in the past, but more DH. His 5th lumbar is smashed due to his motorcycle accident in 08. His back kills him daily. He has lifelong pain meds but... he doesn't take them and hasn't for a few years. We don't like medicine.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 27th, 2011, 09:17 AM
im not sure what a chiro wpuld do about a smashed lumbar BUT i do think massage therapy would be very good for him. if its not in the budget atm - i could find some literature to teach you how to move the muscles away from the spine to help ease to tension. his muscles are gathering more in that area to help the body compensate for being injured.

ill be back with that.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

August 27th, 2011, 09:47 AM
You're awesome!!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

August 27th, 2011, 10:21 AM
how familiar with the muscles are you?

i just erased what i typed i was thinking upside down. hold up, brb

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

Last edited by Bella Nyxe; August 27th, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
August 27th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I did ok in anatomy. There's always google

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 23rd, 2012, 01:28 AM
The chiro works on the bones, joints and such and the therapist works on the muscles, tendeons and such. As for massages, I don't get them (from DH either). I'm not big into them, or maybe it's because DH is too rough. But I DO give him one about 5x a week. He has a smashed lumbar from his motorcycle accident.
November 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
do you get massages if so how often? I only get one maybe once a year. Now that I'm pregnant, I will get one about halfway through and then one at the very end so she can work my pressure points good.

so you see a chiropractor? how often? We see the chiro whenever we feel the need. Our kids have seen the chiro since they were a few days old. We will never be without a chiro...
January 29th, 2013, 03:53 PM
joeysmomma
My whole family sees a chiropractor.
DH and the kids go once a week. I'm still twice a week, but should be able to drop down to once a week soon.
We all feel better and have enjoyed an immune system boost.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search