Natural anti-inflammatories?

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 25th, 2011, 07:48 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, ladies!

I haven't been here in awhile, life has been so busy with going back to work (that's over, I'm a SAHM now!) and a busy toddler. You probably don't remember me, so I'll re-introduce myself: I'm Penelope, my SO is J and our son L was born in April, 2010.

I'm hoping that you can help me out with some suggestions. J recently had an x-ray on his knee because he's been having a lot of pain in it and the doctor told him that the joint was inflamed. He was prescribed anti-inflammatories to take for a few weeks. I haven't researched use of anti-inflammatories, but my sister mentioned to me that long-term use can be bad.

I would like to atleast get J on something natural to help the condition of his knee, even if he stays on the anti-inflammatories for a time. I am looking into it on my own, but was wondering if you all have any suggestions? Something that my mom used to take when she had pain from her osteo-arthritis was glucosamine sulfate, and I understand that it is supposed to help with joint issues, as well. Do you have any input on that? How about shark cartilage?

TIA!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
December 26th, 2011, 07:08 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the glucosamine stuff is supposed to work but can take like 2 months I think, and you will need to follow the directions - I think the dosage is double for the first couple months, then you keep taking it. Probably best for long term conditions.

Short term - plantain. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the plant!! Plantain extract (liquid) can be messy, but you can get it in ointment/salve form. Stings & Bites (Ointment Plantain) - Buy Stings & Bites (Ointment Plantain) Product by Dr. Christophers Formulas at Herbspro This is what I used at first - Even though it says it's for insect bites and stings, it is made with plantain, beeswax and olive oil. He will need to apply it every 4 hours to his knee, but I highly recommend it!! I've used plantain for years and years for inflamed joints.

Side note - keeping grain, dairy, and nightshades out of your diet also helps a ton to reduce inflammation.

Now, I make my own Healing Salve that has plantain in it Healing Salve 100 Natural 4 oz by greenchildcreations on Etsy
December 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, there is no way he is going to keep up with something that has to be applied every 4 hours. Between work and school, he barely has time to take a breath. He is also not going to avoid dairy or grain products.

I think I'm going to try the glucosamine sulfate and shark cartilage. So far he only gets relief if he continues taking the anti-inflammatories, even though the doctor told him that once he had taken them for the amount of time she recommended, his knee should feel better.

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
December 28th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
The only bad thing about natural remedies is that it does take more time and effort for them to be used and effective, however it's much nicer than having serious health complications from side effects of traditional medicine!

Hope he feels better

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 1st, 2012, 12:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would recommend a high quality fish oil as it is full of anti-inflammatory and bioavailable omega 3s ie DHA and EPA.

Baby girl born Feb 2013

Last edited by Servilia; January 1st, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
January 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Here is a link I found, an anti-inflammatory diet:
Reducing inflammation — the natural anti-inflammatory approach

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 20th, 2012, 09:30 AM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
You can try soaking it in Epsom Salt, or doing a cold/hot remedy with a homemade beanbag.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search