The Paleo Solution (book)

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes
  • 2 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 3 Post By greenchild
  • 3 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 3 Post By greenchild
  • 2 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 2 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 3 Post By greenchild
  • 3 Post By lhug_nar
  • 1 Post By ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~
  • 1 Post By Earthy.Mama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
So, I'm pretty much done with the book. Shed a lot of light on things. I've always known gluten was bad, just now how bad. Now I know the more medical terminology in regards to how our bodies work with food, gluten, fat etc... What's good, what's bad etc..

I have eaten only meat, veggies and fruit in 8 days and my joints don't hurt at all. It's much easier to bend down, sit cross legged etc...

I highly recommend the book
greenchild and lhug_nar like this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

April 18th, 2012, 12:49 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL, I highly recommend the paleo diet!!

We go thru life being taught that aches and pains and disease as we age is normal . . . and it's soooooooo NOT!!! I will NEVER go back to the Standard American Diet. The level of pain I used to deal with on a daily basis vs the absence of pain . . . totally amazing!
April 18th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I agree, now when I hear ppl talk about inflammation the first thing in my head is (gluten gluten gluten...) OMG I'm becoming one of those people....LOL!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

April 30th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Regular
Is there a way to test for gluten intolerance before you jump right into the full diet? It seems like such a drastic change that I'd hate to get into it if there wouldn't be any benefit for me.
May 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM
The best and most reliable test, IMO, is to cut it out of your diet (as well as any other unhealthy foods) for a good few months, then go back to it and note how it makes you feel. There's tests for Celiac's but some are not very reliable.
May 1st, 2012, 08:46 PM
Truth be told, humans are not able to digest gluten. It seriously screws up the intestines and causes a TON of problems from there on out leading to many other diseases.

It takes about 12-14 days for gluten to get out of the body, but I noticed the change in my body within 3-4 days!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 11th, 2012, 12:57 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I respect the choice of paleo and I've read up on it, but it's just not a diet I agree with for me personally. I'm studying to become a natural health consultant and I haven't seen much in the way of my learning that points to paleo as being the best diet for humans. It may work for some, but I'm very wary of any diet that completely blocks out a whole food group/type (except for those who have a very specific need due to allergies and such).

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I didn't understand it at first and was a bit speculative myself until I read the book and it medically broke down what happens in our body w/ certain types of food. Now it makes sense!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 12th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Oh I totally understand what is said in the books, that isn't my problem. It's that the extent of those findings and research end with those books and resources or connections to them. I don't see much medical information that is saying the same thing that is not at all connected to the diets. Every diet can back up their diet with loads of medical evidence that prove this diet is the right one for you. What I look for is where is the evidence from the outside.

May 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM
My best advice to those who question it ~ try it. If you don't like it you can always eat something else! I didn't start it for me, I started it for my son since he was getting my milk and he definitely has special dietary needs. If it weren't for him, I don't know that I would have stuck it out and/or believed what anyone had to say about it. But, since I've been on it for 2 years now . . . you couldn't pay me enough money to go back to any other way of eating, ever.
May 13th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Like I said, I respect the choice people make to do the diet. I'm not trying to say not to do it, I agree try it if they want to!

May 14th, 2012, 12:29 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I have found the same thing Jackie, but I know we've talked about it before. I don't have nearly the amount of joint pain and other pains that I used to. This weekend, I ended up having a sandwich with cracked wheat bread (fresh from a bakery) after having been 75-95% paleo since November. What I found was that I was sick to my stomach about 20 minutes after eating the bread. That right there cemented for me that MY BODY can not handle the grains and gluten. I just have to get DH to see that the grains and gluten are hurting him like they were me (he complains of joint pains and other ailments but he's never cut the grains and gluten).

The fact that you're on the same diet as Anne and I basically, makes it easier too when you come visit in a week because it makes planning meals easy.
May 14th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhug_nar View Post
I have found the same thing Jackie, but I know we've talked about it before. I don't have nearly the amount of joint pain and other pains that I used to. This weekend, I ended up having a sandwich with cracked wheat bread (fresh from a bakery) after having been 75-95% paleo since November. What I found was that I was sick to my stomach about 20 minutes after eating the bread. That right there cemented for me that MY BODY can not handle the grains and gluten. I just have to get DH to see that the grains and gluten are hurting him like they were me (he complains of joint pains and other ailments but he's never cut the grains and gluten).

The fact that you're on the same diet as Anne and I basically, makes it easier too when you come visit in a week because it makes planning meals easy.
It does, I was telling DH about this how I won't have to worry about food so much since we all eat the same. The only difference is right now I can't have any fat Booooooo!!!!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 16th, 2012, 10:02 AM
~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~
I have to say I've eaten mostly Paleo every time I am around Anne (greenchild), and I must say that it's a very easy easy way to eat and live! You're eating exactly what you're supposed too. . . Corn is not digestible, and it's the same with gluten. I am fully aware of how this works, and it's not a diet.

They may call it a diet, but it's a life style change. You're not "DIETING" you're literally commiting yourself to eating fresh. End of story. Those who are unwilling to do it and stick with it are lazy and I'm talking about myself too!

Most people are ignorant, and that's not a put down it's just meaning lack of knowledge on subject. You can read all the books you want, however, that wont' help you. You must just DO it. Saying it isn't for everyone is a cop out.

Just my opinion. . . And that is said in regards to you northerners!!! O-pinion.
lhug_nar likes this.

May 16th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I'm pretty sure the lazy and ignorant and cop out comments were pointed to me, I'm not sure who the Northern comment is about. But I can assure you I'm not lazy ignorant and I'm not using a cop-out. I'm not sure if you are looking for a debate or argument by saying these things?

May 16th, 2012, 01:44 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
If you read the post from Steph again, she's saying that she's calling herself lazy because she is unwilling to stick to it. She's also saying that just by reading a book you can't judge a "diet", you have to try it to really honestly know what it's like and if it will work. Knowing Steph like I do, she's saying that she's coping-out too because she's not willing to stick to a paleo diet even though she likes it.

Honestly Megan, if you haven't tried it you can't knock it. You've said that you haven't tried paleo because it's not for you. That's perfectly FINE! You can't tell the rest of us that we're not eating the way that our bodies need to since you don't know what our bodies need and you've never tried paleo so you don't really know what it's like to have been eating paleo. I, personally feel so much better eating paleo. I've had more energy, I've been less tired, less crabby, had less joint pain.

You knew coming onto this thread that it was about the paleo diet. We don't mind other opinions but you keep coming back to say that it's not for everyone and that you won't try it... That's fine, now drop it. It's not meant to be a debate about which diet is better or worse. This is the diet Anne, Jackie and I have chose to live. No debate or argument about it. My recommendation is to just drop it and let us have our opinions.

(BTW: The Northerner comment was directed at me and Anne... It's a joke since Steph says ah-pinion and Anne and I say o-pinion)

Jackie, maybe it's time to lock this thread since it's becoming such an issue with Megan?
May 16th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhug_nar View Post
If you read the post from Steph again, she's saying that she's calling herself lazy because she is unwilling to stick to it. She's also saying that just by reading a book you can't judge a "diet", you have to try it to really honestly know what it's like and if it will work. Knowing Steph like I do, she's saying that she's coping-out too because she's not willing to stick to a paleo diet even though she likes it.

Honestly Megan, if you haven't tried it you can't knock it. You've said that you haven't tried paleo because it's not for you. That's perfectly FINE! You can't tell the rest of us that we're not eating the way that our bodies need to since you don't know what our bodies need and you've never tried paleo so you don't really know what it's like to have been eating paleo. I, personally feel so much better eating paleo. I've had more energy, I've been less tired, less crabby, had less joint pain.

You knew coming onto this thread that it was about the paleo diet. We don't mind other opinions but you keep coming back to say that it's not for everyone and that you won't try it... That's fine, now drop it. It's not meant to be a debate about which diet is better or worse. This is the diet Anne, Jackie and I have chose to live. No debate or argument about it. My recommendation is to just drop it and let us have our opinions.

(BTW: The Northerner comment was directed at me and Anne... It's a joke since Steph says ah-pinion and Anne and I say o-pinion)

Jackie, maybe it's time to lock this thread since it's becoming such an issue with Megan?
I never said that you weren't eating the way that YOUR bodies need to, in fact I said that I respect the choice of a Paleo Diet. And I have never said it isn't for everyone, I've always said it isn't for me. Please don't confuse what I'm saying about my self and say that I'm pointing it to the general group, I am not. I was confused with the previous point which is why I asked. I never once said that one couldn't have their opinion.

My understanding of the thread was regarding the book and the paleo diet I thought it was a discussion of the book and diet and was just posting my opinion.

May 16th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I think we should all agree to disagree at this point.
lhug_nar likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search