Question about diet and disease

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By greenchild
  • 1 Post By greenchild

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM
TTC #1
I was hoping that you ladies can point me in the right direction. I have rheumatoid arthritis, an auto-immune, inflammatory disorder. I am currently on Plaquenil and periodic steroids, and this is considered to be one of the mildest courses of treatment. The problem is that the Plaquenil is not working as well and I am starting to have weakened bones from how frequently I am relying on steroids (broke a bone in my foot just by stepping on it a little harder then normal). The other medications are very harsh and include low dose chemotherapy and intravenous delivery of cell modifying drugs. I really don't want to go that route. Have any of you had any experience with diets that help with swelling or work in combating auto-immune issues. Thanks!
May 5th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Yes, the Paleo diet. You should read The Paleo Solution. That's tooted a lot on here (Paleo), but there's a reason for that - it's what we're meant to eat!

I have (had I should say) really weak bones, and since cutting out refined sugar and GLUTEN I've been pain free. My knees don't pop, I don't have to pop my back, I can bend, sit, cross my legs, my body just doesn't hurt. Gluten inflames EVERYTHING in the body, it's such a horrible chain reaction.

Seriously, read that book!!! I read it in 2 days, it's a super easy read

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 5th, 2012, 02:22 PM
TTC #1
I will check it out! My original rheumatologist actually suspected celiac disease at first because my blood tests showed that I was extremely malnourished (extremely low iron, calcium, vitamin D) and had difficulty maintaining my weight despite eating a healthy diet. My tests came back negative so I didn't follow up on that any further. Now, I am willing to try nearly anything to avoid additional medication.
May 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh View Post
I will check it out! My original rheumatologist actually suspected celiac disease at first because my blood tests showed that I was extremely malnourished (extremely low iron, calcium, vitamin D) and had difficulty maintaining my weight despite eating a healthy diet. My tests came back negative so I didn't follow up on that any further. Now, I am willing to try nearly anything to avoid additional medication.
I think you would (well anyone would) benefit greatly from eating Paleo Let us know if you get the book or try Paleo and how you're doing!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 5th, 2012, 05:36 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
not only go paleo, but definitely go nightshade free paleo!!! Known to cause pain with rheumatoid arthritis. And it can cause the body to strip calcium from the bones. Lose the nightshades (and dairy, grains, legumes) and up your leafy greens content.

I'd also recommend the book Your Health, Your Choice http://www.amazon.com/Your-Health-Ch...dp/0883911728f It is full of typos but full of good information. They focus on the acid/alkaline balance, and briefly talk about the paleo way of eating (without calling it such). I'd definitely give it a read, especially since your bones are weakening.
Earthy.Mama likes this.
May 6th, 2012, 06:28 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There's a quote in that book I really like - the story tells of a man that had terrible arthritis, changed his diet, and hasn't had pain since. When others ask what he did, and he tells them about his diet, most say, "Oh, I could NEVER give up those foods . . ." to which he replied, "then you don't hurt bad enough yet."
Earthy.Mama likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search