Water

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By roving_gypsy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2012, 07:13 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So the basics of all necessieits is water, who drinks the amount they should each day?

I have a hard time drinking the amount I should drink a day.

One of my courses on immune health spelled it out in the most simple way, when it comes to the amount a person should drink a day.

One Ounce of pure fresh water each day for every two pounds of body weight.

It went on to explain that if you drink an alcoholic or caffinated drink then you need to drink twice the amount of water per drink on top of your daily intake.

Also if you are stressed, sick, taking perscription meds, or live in an environment that hits extreams (hot, cold, windy, etc.) then you need to drink additional water on top of your daily intake.

I always had an issue with the flat figures, that everyone should drink a set amount of water regardless of age, health, size, etc. So this was great info for me. Now if I could just meet the amount of water each day that I should be drinking! lol

A book I've started reading is The Water Prescription by Christopher Vasey , I just got it from the library and it's a pretty thin book so it should be a quick read!

So who drinks the amount of water they should, each and every day? How do you do it? Have you read any good books on water and your health?
Axel likes this.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 12th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I drink at least 100oz of water a day if not more, and I also drink 3-4 cups of of coffee w/ stevia for sweetner.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 12th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Do you drink it by cup or do you drink it from a jug or anything like that? I'm trying to find the best option for me and I'm thinking I'm going to need to per-measure what I should be drinking each day to better keep track. I was thinking of using my half gal. mason jars to measure my water each morning and then drink from those throughout the day to keep track for a while. I've tried tallying the glasses of water each time I get a new one and find I don't keep up with it. lol

May 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope

Not to get back on the subject of diet, but when you're eating all fresh foods and no grains to soak it up . . . I've found I'm WAY less thirsty. I just listen to my body, and drink (water) when my body tells me to drink, and stop when it tells me it has enough. It works for me, I'm not dehydrated by any means. Using the 1oz/2lbs body weight, that would = 50 oz for me. With as much fresh food as I consume + the liquid I do drink, it's probably close to that, but I do not drink 50 oz above and beyond the foods I consume.

The study done quite awhile ago that specified how much water the average person should be drinking per day (the flat figure, not the 1 oz/2lbs body weight referenced above) . . . was not the actual outcome of that study After stating how much liquid the avg person should have, the paragraph went on to read "which we get from other foods consumed during the day", not an exact quote but something to that effect. But those who reported the study apparently stopped reading after that sentence, reported it, and it's been the main belief since. I'll have to see if I can dig that info up, it's in one of my books . . .

Interestingly enough, Taoism goes into how too much water (not the too-much-will-kill-you-amount, but just an excess) isn't good for you, it's pretty far down in the page, but the whole page is an interesting read: Tao of Forgotten Food Diet: Taoist Herbology
May 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
One of the reasons I tend to stay off natural health boards with a strong paleo following is because there is a tendency for members who are paleo to assume that one who isn't paleo eats a diet that is wrong or eats a diet that is over burden with grains. When the fact is that my diet works for me and is just different from a paleo one. I am really hoping that this isn't a paleo only board, I'd assume if it was it would say paleo in the title.

My diet is actually very full of fresh fruits and veggies (locally grown and organic to boot!), so I agree that liquid is obtained from that. Fruits and veggies have anywhere from 3-97% water content, but don't discount grains and beans because they have anywhere from 7-71% depending on how it is prepared, so while one may assume that grains just soak up all the water that is taken in, it isn't the case, and it also isn't the case that the water it may absorb during digestion isn't reabsorbed as it moves through the digestion track. And that is assuming that I'm drinking water only while digesting grains, when that isn't always the case. I would suggest that one should just follow instinct over anything else, so if you don't feel the need to drink water then don't.

But if one is interested, check out the hydrating capacity of different drinks, I always find that interesting < coming from a person who used to drink tea only, day in and day out.

Also thirst always comes up, because I'm rarely thirsty, I could sometimes go all day without feeling thirsty. Thirst is an alarm in the body that goes off when the body experiences enough of a lack of water that the body feels it necessary to alarm to avoid dehydration; it is a psychological response, but one that can be lost. The loss of the sensation of thirst is actually fairly widespread among adults and/or often times confused with hunger. Children on the other hand rarely have the loss of sensation and rarely confuse it with hunger, it's really interesting.

My kids drink so much water. It's funny when we go over to friends houses or are out and about, we get the weirdest looks, because they will ask for water and not complain about drinking water. Don't get me wrong they like juice, soda, milk, etc. But they rarely drink it, or ask for it for that matter. Milk would be 2nd on the list of what they drink, but between three kids and my husband and I, we barely go through 1 1/2 gals of raw milk a week/7days (if we aren't making anything from it). They are seriously stuck on the fact that their pee should be clear, lol, and that is not even something I've drilled into them; I think they learned it from a documentary or something. lol Now if I could only drink as much as they do.

I agree that there is a point of too much water, and you can die from drinking too much (seriously extreme amounts in short periods of time ) not even close to what we are talking about here; but here are a few thinks on that Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Strange but True: Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill: Scientific American

but 50 oz is only just over 3 pint glasses, as for my body I would need a pint or two under a 1/2 gal a day not including liquids bonded to food in terms of water content, but I'm not that concerned to need to try to calculate that in, after all 1/2 gal. isn't a whole lot, if I could just remember to drink it. lol (I have a loss of thirst problem) Which is why I'm thinking if I just set it out measured out, on the counter, that maybe it would remind me. lol

May 14th, 2012, 07:26 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
One of the reasons I tend to stay off natural health boards with a strong paleo following is because there is a tendency for members who are paleo to assume that one who isn't paleo eats a diet that is wrong or eats a diet that is over burden with grains. When the fact is that my diet works for me and is just different from a paleo one. I am really hoping that this isn't a paleo only board, I'd assume if it was it would say paleo in the title.
People come here to ask questions, answers and opinions will be given by whoever is currently on the board. I will share my experiences and opinions, as will anyone else here, so the more members we have, the more variety of experiences and opinions will be shared whatever their preferred way of eating.

I did not say that grains soak up *all* the water. They do soak up some, which is my experience, which I am sharing. Obviously it depends on how they are prepared. Soaked/sprouted grains would *in my opinion* be a better choice all around if one wants to eat grains.

I have had my experiences with and without grains in all (or at least most, I'm sure there's some I haven't heard of) forms of preparation, and I know what happens to me when I eat them and what happens when I don't. Because I've tried it. And when I say I've tried it, I mean I've gone at it as if it were a scientific experiment with myself as the tester. Analyzing every little detail is a specialty of mine.

I did the fresh fruits/veggies/whole grains route, for many years. I also did the standard american diet. And many forms of dieting. But that's a whole other story . . .

At any rate, back to water ~ I absolutely agree with you here! My wish is that more people could recognize symptoms for what they really are. But I wish that for everything.

Quote:
But if one is interested, check out the hydrating capacity of different drinks, I always find that interesting < coming from a person who used to drink tea only, day in and day out.

Also thirst always comes up, because I'm rarely thirsty, I could sometimes go all day without feeling thirsty. Thirst is an alarm in the body that goes off when the body experiences enough of a lack of water that the body feels it necessary to alarm to avoid dehydration; it is a psychological response, but one that can be lost. The loss of the sensation of thirst is actually fairly widespread among adults and/or often times confused with hunger. Children on the other hand rarely have the loss of sensation and rarely confuse it with hunger, it's really interesting.
May 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I have to say that there is no way that I'm going to drink 80 oz. of water in a day. I just can't do it even though I've tried. I've observed the same thing as Anne, since I've been at least on a 75-95% Paleo diet, I've been less thirsty and it's due to the fresh foods I've been eating. JMO, going to put on my flame suit now...
May 14th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I am not upset that there are paleo dieters on the board, that doesn't bother me. I just was curious if it was a paleo only board, because if it is then I know I am not welcome here because my view point is different and it will be likely to be brought up in every thing I post about.

The biggest thing that I've found just recently about the amount of water, is I have to stop thinking about it as a big number in terms of Oz; and start breaking it up to pint glasses, which is the size of glasses we have in our house, it seems so much easier to think about drinking the amount of water. Or breaking it down to oz. per hour, which makes it look like such a small amount that it's silly to think I can't drink that much water. I'm feeling so much better about my water intake as I've been focusing on it more.

To each their own though, like I said it's better to go by instinct if you don't feel comfortable following what is written in a book/course. I know there is plenty I don't agree with for me personally.

May 15th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
This is a natural health board. It's not very active, but I posts topics on different health ailments and a lot on how different herbs/foods affect ___. Most is just general information, but an array of info on different health issues.

The active members on this board happen to be paleo, and since this isn't a very active board, it may come off as pushy, but it's not. It's our each individual experience and views on ____ that is being asked. We just happen to be Paleo, not a reflection on the board itself.

When you're speaking of health though, 97% of it is going to stem from diet so there is going to be a lot of food info/questions/commentary/discussions on here and if the members deal with a mainly paleo diet, that's going to reflect in our personal views and responses.

Please do not be deterred because of this, there are many types of eating styles out there. I honestly believe that being a vegan works for some and not for others. I think much of our food choices has to do with the culture you live in, the environment (such as near an ocean, near a lake, in the dessert etc...), the info, the available sources etc....

You have to find what works for you and go from there!

Since I'm on this diet, I drink 100+oz of water a day to flush out toxins from my body. If I were not flushing out toxins, I would not need to drink that much water!!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 15th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I've been on other boards that claim they are for all but end up being all paleo and have run me and others off by being overly pushy, so I may be over sensitive to it. I wasn't trying to start anything, I was just being blunt and asking. Thank you for confirming that it is an all inclusive board and not just a paleo one; If it was just a paleo one I wouldn't of had a problem I would have just moved on.

November 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM
No doubt drinking water has countless benefits,It doesn't matter we thirsty or not. I'm trying to find the best option for me and I'm thinking I'm going to need to per-measure what I should be drinking each day to better keep track.
November 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I am agree with above members, the role of water in our body is most important. You have share solid tips and benifits of water. I have personally experience, water can prevent several diseases. Mostly Acne and other skin problems. I drink 6 to 7 glass in a day. I feel fresh and active body.

organizational performance improvement

Last edited by Abelard66; November 29th, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
December 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Yea I'm also agree with you mates, water is most valuable element of our diet. Drink lots of water instead of fizzy drinks and fruit cordials. It maintains your fitness level and also protects you from many diseases. I usually drink 8 to 10 glass in a day.
February 7th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Great info!
May 15th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Drink water in proper quantity to fulfill the needs of the body.
Drink 12 to 15 glasses of the water in a whole to run different body function and maintain a good health.

Last edited by Hamlin; May 18th, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
May 20th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Hi RG,
Water plays important role in making our life healthy because water protects our vital organs and protects and moisturizes our joints. Water improve our metabolism and helps in losing body weight. Water makes our skin healthy, regulates body temperature and prevents from dehydration.
July 3rd, 2013, 10:46 PM
I want add here one more thing that drink a plenty glass of water very helpful for skin especially for dark circles near eyes.
pilates gold coast

Last edited by Axel; July 6th, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
July 8th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Well,Water is the best source for get energy and fitness because it is so good
for cure the different stomach diseases.Water has own importance in our life
because it is the best way for reduce the extra body weight and fat....

San mateo personal trainer

Last edited by Malton; July 12th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search