Raw milk

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Earthy.Mama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2012, 01:20 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are there any other Raw Milk Drinkers on this board?

I love that I live in an area where it is easy to get! It has done wonders for us, we love it. I've got two dairies close to me that provide Raw Cows milk, and a smaller dairy that provides Raw Goats milk. The Cow dairies both provide Jersey milk, but the one in my county also provides Guernsey Milk! For those who have researched the difference between A1 and A2 milk, this is interesting!! I never knew the difference until I started buying milk from them! I love learning new things, if you are a raw milk drinker it's worth a shot to look into what it means. The Guernsey's at this farm produce A2 milk, while there Jerseys produce A1, and they sell it separately or mixed and don't remove the cream.

For those who do drink and use raw milk; Do you make anything with it?

I'd like to share ideas if so. We are huge on fermenting and live cultures in this house, the thought processes is, why take a pro-biotic pill when I can get it naturally, so two of the things I have going (as in on going, and the thing visitors point at and ask about with a weird look on their face) is kefir and I'm trying a shot at making buttermilk without a starter... I haven't gotten there yet but am darn close (good thing my kefir does well as a substitute!).

I've tried yogurt, but had to hang it for a bit, because I'm used to Greek yogurt and the yogurt I produced was too runny for my taste; but just as soon as I hung it and let it strain it produced a yummy tangy yogurt that my kids and I loved. I've also made a cream cheese, It was awesome. And I've made ricotta, I failed at mozzarella at the 'stretching' phase, but I will try again! I'm going to work on sour cream just as soon as I get my buttermilk going good. Oh and of course I've done butter! There are tons of other things I wanted to try, but I thought I'd shoot a message to the board to find out what other raw milk drinkers have done with their raw milk, besides just drink it!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
We did drink raw milk, our friends had it and we drank it with them. We're about to setup a weekly delivery again. They made their own cream and butter, that's what we're going to do too. Raw milk is GREAT for the body!
roving_gypsy likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 14th, 2012, 10:28 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish we had a weekly delivery to the house, we meet weekly in our town, which is good enough (and convenient since it's at a time right after a mid day homeschooling gymnastics class for my kids and on our way home, so we aren't going out of our way or anything). How much are you paying if you don't mind me asking? We pay $7 a gallon, which is a lot, but everything seems to be more expensive up here. lol We pay $4 for a dozen for farm fresh eggs which is, in my opinion, insane! LOL but we pay for it, my mom can't get rid of all her eggs for $1 a dozen (in rural VA). I want to get some egg layers and broilers my self, but we just have to set up the area and such for them. I used to pull the cream off our milk for hubby's coffee in the morning (we do cold brewed ice coffee, so he doesn't loose any of the benefits from the cream!), but now he just slowly pours it off from the gallon jug into his coffee in the morning; I still pull it off when I need to make something with it. Right now I've been buying 'Amish butter' from our local market in 2 lb packages, and that is what we use for all our cooking and baking butter needs. I have to buy a lot of milk to make it worth making enough butter for our use. With what I currently buy in milk/cream, it renders only a small amount of butter since we use the cream for other things.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 15th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
It's about $7 a gallon here too. We'd just separate the cream into a different mason jar.... I just loved how I could see the process from milk, to cream, to butter. LOVED IT! Eggs (since we had to get rid of the chickens) are store bought right now

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search