Dry Skin Brushing

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lhug_nar

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2012, 01:43 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone tried it or heard of it? I've recently heard of it and was curious about it, because it's supposed to stimulate the lymphatic system while also brushing off dead skin cells. A quick google search brought up this link on it Dry Skin Brushing Benefits and Instructions .

I know the benefits of lymphatic massage, so that is why this has spiked my interest. So has anyone tried it? opinions on it?

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 14th, 2012, 07:57 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Huh! Had to google that too! they use a brushing technique on all the kids at my son's preschool specifically for the nervous system, supposed to help stimulate the nerves so they get a jumpstart on sensory input for the day, but I think they brush away from the heart. Will check on that tomorrow when I drop him off and request they brush towards the heart if that is the case. Kaiden's had issues with lymphedema, if they're going to be brushing him anyway they might as well do it that way!

One of my friends does foster care for special needs kids, and one of her autistic kids could NOT be brushed, it over stimulated him every time. Interesting! No idea if they did towards the heart or away. would be interesting to see if that makes a difference.
May 14th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I would totally ask if they are doing it towards the heart, like you said if they do it anyways they could change their strokes if they aren't currently brushing towards the heart, it shouldn't change up their routine too much! It's neat that the preschool does that!

May 15th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I have heard of it, but not done much research into it!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

May 15th, 2012, 08:16 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
The therapists did skin brushing with Robbie when he had physical therapy when he was younger for his cerebral palsy. They did it toward the heart. I always thought that it was cool that they did that so I did it with both of my younger boys until they were about 18 months old.
Earthy.Mama likes this.
May 16th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I asked at preschool, they said the technique has now changed, and the latest on it is that it doesn't matter which direction you go so they do a up and down motion several times. It used to be so many strokes in the same direction but not anymore. But now, they are super picky about the brush being used! It must be a special kind of surgeon's brush, not just any kind of surgeons brush. I've used Kaiden's electric toothbrush on him as well as a soft nail brush (for scrubbing your fingernails). he likes them equally as well.

the part I didn't agree with is, when his teacher showed him his brush, he held his arm out. She said "to me, that's a sign they NEED it." No, Kaiden is a very routine-y kid. He sees the brush, it means he needs to hold his arm out. It's part of his routine.
May 17th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Hmm. That is interesting that they said it didn't matter the direction. I wonder if it's not the lymph system they are worried about but the texture of the brushing itself.

Lymph nodes/the valves in the lymph system only open/flow one way (towards the heart), you can clog a lymph node with backward strokes; At least that is what I learned in massage school about lymphatic massage. File:Illu lymph node structure.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From what I understand of the little bit I've read about dry brushing it's not all about the lymph system though, the other part is about removing the dead skin cells. And then of course there is the therapy aspect of it. I don't know enough about any of it, but it is all intriguing.

May 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM
it is intriuging! I'd certainly prefer them to brush towards the heart to encourage lymphatic drainage knowing my kid has an issue with that. But, I can do that at home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search