Aidan is really sick

Forum: Natural Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My third child gets so sick so often. I don't know what to do or how to boost his immune system and I need some help.
some background
First of all I had an extremely stressful pregnancy. I didn't gain much weight at all 17 lbs or so and I was also still nursing my 18 month old. Aidan was born with meconium but nothing major, and was pretty much a non-issue with my midwife. He was tiny and skinny skinny. After his two month shots (we only did DTaP and polio)he developed "rsv" He was a very sick boy for a while. I of course pumped him up with all the medicine the dr told me too. Steriods, ab's and tylenol. It took him about amonth to get better and then came round 2 of vaccines. Again he had the smae problems but not as bad. nothing had clicked in my head yet so at 9 months he went for the third round I beleive it was DTaP and prevnar. again he got realy sick and it finally clicked. he hasn't recieved any other vaccines. He hasn't gotten sick with the RSV symptoms since but he catches everything. He has diary sensitivities and soy. He gets eczema a lot.When he gets sick he gets very high fevers, direhea, is listless and will sit in bed or sleep for days at a time. Two weeks ago he caught something and had horrific direhea for days. he didn't get out of bed and when he did he would only go from the bed to the couch. I debated bringing him to hospital becuase I was worried about him getting dehydrated but I decided to just leave him bear bottomed nad make sure he was peeing. I know he was slightly dehydrated but I also knew what we would be put through if we went to the ER.I htink he may have had rotovirus. OUt of my four kids I have never seen anyof them this sick and with direhea for so long. Last night he started with a fever again and now he has direhea again. He spent most of the day laying down in bed watching TV. He did eat some breakfeast and I gave him a multivitamin and 2 chewable vit c tablets. I have also been pushing water on him like crazy.
I just don't get it, He was breastfed, he eats pretty good compared to the standards. No processed foods, limited diary, we make 75% of our food from scratch and eat organic as much as possible. I do let them have candy (choclate) more than they should.
Is there anything I can do to make him healthier?

Any advice on how I can get him better for now? Right now his fever 103.3. How high is too high? He is 3 yrs old.I am fighting the urge to go to the store and buy some tylenol so badly. i just gave him a cool bath and I am going to take his temp again. i also just found some info about applying garlic and olive oil to his feet so if his temp hasn't come down I am going to try that.
July 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM
katra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to katra
That souns pretty high to me. There is a homeopathic that you can get at the grocery store called Zicam that you may want to try for the short term. You may also want to try a lavender compress on his forehead.

In the long term you may want to consider putting him on a raw vegan diet. I know this may sound extreme but I have seen many, many people overcome serious illness this way. I myself have been on a raw diet and watched all of my physical ailments disappear from allergies to colds to asthma and my energy soared. I started eating cooked again when I got pregnant and am currently at about 80% raw working toward 100% again. Anyway, these were the results at my age, and I really do think that this may be the answer for your son. For more information you may want to visit www.shazzie.com and www.thegardendiet.com. Both of these sites were created by women who have raw children. Even if this is not the venue you choose, you still may find it interesting. HTH and good luck!!!

July 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Awaiting#3
You have 2 issues here, one acute. You need to treat the acute one now, I would take him to a doctor so he can have a stool test to check for rotovirus, if he is very small (thin) and badly dehydrated then he may need hospitalisation for IV fluids but if he isn't as bad as that then he needs more than just water. His electrolytes need to be stabilised, there are icypoles and special fluids you can get for him from the chemist (drugstore) over the counter. You can also make these fluids yourself, it is a mix of salt, sugar and water but I'm not sure of exact amounts. I would give tylanol to bring down the fever, it is too high to just treat with cool baths, he may end up convulsing which is scarey.

Long term: Have you tried giving him acidophilus? I have found that it helps a lot, espcially after a tummy bug which wipes out the good bugs from the intestional tract (just like anti-biotics do). It sounds a lot like he might have gut absortion issues, meaning his gut isn't processing his food properly and he's not getting all the nutrients he needs. Also an iron tonic (I give mt kids a natural one that also contains lysine and B vitamins) and a fish oil. The iron tonic should be given with some fruit juice so the vitamin C will help his gut absorb the iron. Avoid antibiotics as much as possible, my kids were sick all the time then we stopped using antibiotics and they haven't had a serious illness in years.

Our doctor is also a homeopath so we have the best of both worlds, we get balanced non biased advice and treatment.
July 28th, 2006, 07:59 PM
no it definatly wasn't rotovirus. His direhea only lasted half a day and was only mild. mostly it was thefever and lethargy that scared me.Plus this sickness was right on the heels of antoher. I'm guessing it was roseola since the rash showed up today. He definatly isn't skinny either. He was also drinking fluids and peeing.
I just joined a healing the gut tribe on another board. I am hoping that is going to help. I know that is a big issue but the begining diet is so incrediabl;y strict I have been just trying to deny it. with both him and I . I have been battling thrush since Kae was born. Now I am catching wahtever Aidan had and the thrush is jumping on my weakened immune system and my boobs itch like crazy. lol
He hasn't taken ab's since the intial bout of "RSV".
Both he and I take a mineral multi, sodum ascorbate , and acidolpholus.
I also just ordered
http://www.wholesale-supplements.biz/produ...59306fdc7fd9f07
July 29th, 2006, 06:47 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you considered serving him some pumped breastmilk? It couldn't hurt and it may help boost his immune system. I have started occasionally pumping milk to help my dh boost his immune system. He adds it to his daily protein shake.

August 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM
U know I never thought of that. How much do you think it would take to make a difference though?
August 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well babies that only nurse before bedtime & naptime still benefit from it, so maybe 4-6 oz twice a day?

August 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, this reminds me of my first child. These symptoms you speak of he had. He started getting really sick after a flu shot and was sick atleast once a month with what you mention until it go real bad in the end and he was diagnosed with type 1 juvenile diabetes. Get his blood work done! This can tell you so much.

Update us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search