Sports/ health question

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2005, 06:21 PM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
ok my 6 year old had his right kidney removed almost 2 years ago. when he was discharged from the kidney clinic they told me no contact sports b/c they did not want to risk any damage to the existing kidney. This is a VERY active boy...2 days after his surgery he was begging me to ride his bike. He wanted to play field hockey and I said NO WAY!! Now he wants to play indoor soccer. so my question is how contact is indoor soccer for 6 year olds and am I a bad mom for letting him participate. obviously I would never him in any danger but he wants to play sports with his friends and I think maybe that it would not be very "contact" I already let him participate in gym like the other kids. The school is aware and have assured me that in kindergarden gym is not anything contact. I was just wondering what other mommies would do.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
January 14th, 2005, 06:26 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If the team has already started I would go watch a practice and see how it goes. Its a touch decision. At least he's not asking to play football. Maybe there is another sport he can play like little league?

January 14th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I just don't want him to feel like he's different b/c minus the kidney he is the same as any other 6 yo boy. We have never really come up against this b/c he just started school and he knows his kidney is gone but he can do anything else the other kids do. I just want him to have a good time with his friends but then I run into the problem of what if he likes it and wants to continue playing down the road, I know soccer can be very contact later. It's a very tough choice to make. He used to swim and I thought that would burn enough energy and he could continue that forever but I could not afford the membership anymore.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
January 14th, 2005, 06:35 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say let him do it. Make sure the coach knows about his condition. That way if he sees things getting rough he can pull him out, kwim.

January 14th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I went to a game for younger kids once and all they did was run around the field, I'll bet it won't be too much different... I was just wondering what other moms thought...thanks Jen.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search