How would you react if someone expected you to

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
It was break time today. Some of us are sitting in the break room. One girl says we gotta give Tanya a baby shower. She is due soon. So she says everyone bring gifts. When does she work next. I said well the weekend. But for weekdays. She is off M-T. Then works again Wednesday. They said lets do it Thursday at 2pm. I said whatever you's want. I can't be there then. I got an appointment to keep at 2:15. This one looked rudely at me. Like how dare I say I won't come. Well I have a dentist appointment on my off day. So she says you are brining a gift. I said yeah. Actually the thought never crossed my mind to by a coworker a baby gift. Well we don't know each other that well. We get along and all that. But that's as far as it goes. Now the rest of the girls expect me to get a gift. So now I gotta go to Walmart this weekend since I'm off. I figured get a cheapy gift basket from the craft dept. Then get little things a baby needs. Baby Magic soap, baby wash cloths, towel and some other putzy stuff moms go through a lot of with their babies. Actiually I got this teddy bear at K Mart after Christmas on half off. I may put that in the basket as the center piece. The little putzy items around it filling up the basket and it won't cost me much. Would any of you been upset if a coworker just expects you to pitch in for a gift or buy your own gift for a coworker. First it was suppose to be we pitch in for one nice gift. Like 5$ each. That's not to bad. Then one woman says. Oh no I'm buying my own thing. So you all do what you want.
January 15th, 2005, 12:54 AM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
Wow, yes I be a bit upset that they just asked you that kind of question upfront! First of all, you are right if she is a co-worker you are not close why would you get a gift that they are thinking. I will also feel crappy and feel like I had to do what you are doing. Siunds like a cute idea but I personally might have brought the baby a cheap gift and that is it-nothing for the mom.

You are nice person to go out of way like that regardless what you decide to get her. (((((HUGS))))

-Dori
January 15th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I'm only doing it to keep others from thinking I'm just a uncaring jerk with a bad attitude. I go to work. I do my best to get along with everyone. Do my job best I can. Then go home when my shift is done. I don't try being great friends with anyone at work. I been trying to keep work and private life separate.
January 15th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, when I was pregnant with Riley, my mentor threw me a baby shower. I didn't care either way, and I thought it was really nice of all the people who did get me something, but for those that didn't, I definitely wasn't mad. The only people that irritated me were 2 women who came to the shower but didn't bring a gift ... I kind of thought that was rude. *shrug* I didn't hold it against them or anything, I jsut thought it was impolite (more to the lady who threw the shower even than to me)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search