Wish you had done or been able to do something differently while pregnant? Or during the birth?

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Super Mommy
I ask because I really regret not taking mire pics of me pregnant. The only pics we have are when we went to a portrait studio at 8 months and only in one can we really see how pregnant I am. I have none of my bare belly either which makes me sad. I hated how stretched out my tummy looked and the icky dark stretch marks but I do wish I had pics now. I wish I had gotten to see Kaiden right after he came out of me but they had to aspirate his throat/mouth due to the meconium in my tummy so I couldn't see him immediately. Luckily hubby got to see him come out of me and I guess I am envious of him getting to have that visual forever.
December 19th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I wish the birth of our son was different. Well I'll see the births on Birth Day or Birth special Deliveries on Discovery Health channel. The medical staff will walk the woman through the stages of labor and delivery.
They update her how far dialated she is. When and when she cannot push. I wasn't told much of anything. I layed there in the bed waiting our son to come out. I never felt him coming out as some mothers do. I guess when our son was born. They did not know enough about controling the epidural so you can feel some of the sense of pushing the baby out. but not have as much pain. So you can do it. The birth experience was not at all what I thought it would be. They never put our son on me the minute he came out. Dh seen him come out. They took him away to clean him up,weigh him in etc. It was not till I was in the room I was to sleep in when they brought our son in.
December 19th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I wish the birth of our son was different. Well I'll see the births on Birth Day or Birth special Deliveries on Discovery Health channel. The medical staff will walk the woman through the stages of labor and delivery.
They update her how far dialated she is. When and when she cannot push. I wasn't told much of anything. I layed there in the bed waiting our son to come out. I never felt him coming out as some mothers do. I guess when our son was born. They did not know enough about controling the epidural so you can feel some of the sense of pushing the baby out. but not have as much pain. So you can do it. The birth experience was not at all what I thought it would be. They never put our son on me the minute he came out. Dh seen him come out. They took him away to clean him up,weigh him in etc. It was not till I was in the room I was to sleep in when they brought our son in.[/b]
How long ago did you have your son? I thought it's been standard practice for quite sometime to keep the mother informed step by step regarding each topic you mentioned. I too did not fell much of anything but was heavily drugged up as at that point I had already been in labor 18 hours on my own. I do not know if he hadn't needed to be aspirated if they would had placed him on me though I did opt for him to be cleaned up after he came out.
December 20th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
He'll be 17 in March. Was born in 1989. All the stuff they told us in the child birth classes we went to. Some of that was not at all like they told us. I think it just had to do with the staff at the hospital.
December 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Oh, I would do tons of things differently.

1. I would've had a home birth. Gosh darned hospital charged us $4000 just to walk around in their room and pop out a baby.

2. I would have left instead of getting into an argument with the nurses over whether or not I needed to wear an external EFM. I was very against the idea, but the doctor on call (not my regular doc, she was okay with me not using it) insisted. Man, I should have left! Grrr...

3. I wanted both still photos and video footage of the birth and me, Dh, and my bbf all forgot to grab the equipment by the door.

4. I'd planned to push in a squatting position (which my doc okay'd) but doc on call was obviously terrified of natural birth so I had to push in the lithotomy position which tore me from here to yonder, and was so exhausting.

5. I wouldn't start pushing until I felt the urge. With Ds's birth I was encouraged to push the second I got to 10 cm and frankly, my body was not ready for that stage of labor. Heck, next time I'm not even going to let someone check my dilation unless it is absolutely necessary.

6. I would have read more about the routine heel prick. I know think (but I still need to read more to decide) that it was a mistake and that other, less painful alternatives exist, include doing nothing. Dh and I researched natural birth and circumcision to death, but just skimmed much of the post-birth stuff.

I guess that's it. The only things positive about our experience is I gave birth naturally like I'd wanted, and our son was born perfectly healthy. 8 lbs. 10 oz

~Nay
December 21st, 2005, 07:08 PM
Lynettesmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynettesmommy
First of all something I could not control I wish I had my mother with me. She passed away a year before I got pregnant.

I wish I would have had pregnancy pictures taken. I dont have ANY pics while I was pregnant.
During the birth I wish DF could have cut the cord ( I dont know why they didnt let him) And I wish I could have held Lynette as soon as she came out (again I dont know why they didnt let me).
I wish we had a nursery for the baby (we have a one bedroom apartment)

Another thing I couldnt control is I wish my SIL had her baby, I wish she didnt miscarry at 23 wks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search