Who does what chores in your household

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
Chores has been a battle in our house. I work pretty much 40 hours a week. This past week I been doing 6-2:30pm shifts. Get up middle of the night to get ready and take a bus to work. But like getting off in the afternoon. I been telling our son he has to help out around the house when I work. So he does nothing of course. Tells me I don't do squat. I said I work. I put food on this table. So that's my contribution to the household. That when I get a day off. I try doing what I can at home. But also need time to rest up to get back to work again. Our son was so angry I did not cook him dinner the other night. I said I'm on strike. You don't cook for dad when I work. I get home find dh not gotten a supper. You say well I was tired and fell asleep. Yeah and dad tried waking you up to cook. You just moaned yeah whatever and don't do it. Dh being disabled. He is not coordinated enough to cook the meal then carry the plate to the table to eat without spilling some of it. We had a mess of snow. Our son made such a stink about shoveling it. He says how come I didn't help. That is one of his chores. Shovel snow, cut the grass in summer and yard work in summer. Also he's suppose to clean the cat box. That's besides the couple nights a week he makes dad a dinner and clean his room. Nothing out of the ordinary for a teen. He says he has to do it all. Had counselors in the past believing we make him do to many chores or have to many expectations of him. I was told by a counselor to lighten up on our son. That I'm being to tough on him. I think I'm way to lenient. I'm more laid back with the household rules. Dh does what he can within the limits of his disability. When it came to snow shoveling the other day. Our son did not do the front. He did the back. Only because dh said clean the walk or I cannot get to the car to drive you to school. Then you'll be walking. I keep telling our son we all got our duties to be a productive member of this household. Right now mom is being mommy bread winner.
January 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do about everything around our house daily. My son, Jared has to keep his room clean. He does a good job of it too! My hubby takes out the trash.

Since I am not working out of our home right now. I really do not mind doing all of the house work. I take pride in keeping our home clean & nice!

January 30th, 2005, 12:11 PM
jen1978's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jen1978 Send a message via Yahoo to jen1978
We both work 40 hours a week so we just take turns. I usually cook so dh does the dishes (most of the time!) We look at it this way, both of us made the mess so both of us can clean it up. too bad nathan isnt old enough to clean up after himself
January 30th, 2005, 12:17 PM
x3 MaGs x3's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to x3 MaGs x3 Send a message via MSN to x3 MaGs x3
Both my parents work full time. My dad leaves at 5 am and returns home at 9:30-10 pm.
Mondays are my fathers exception when he comes home at 7 to have dinner with me, because my mom teaches on mondays. Also my mom doesn't work on wedensdays because I have my tutor and therapy.

We have a cleaning service clean the house, and my mom does my clothes laundry. I do the towels, empty/load the dishwasher, set the table, keep my room and the basement "livable" cause Lord knows I'm not tidy. My sister occasionally does towels and the dishes. She goes to college, but she lives at home. She's barely home though.
My dad does the trash and recycling, and some of the grocery shopping.

My mom and I cook most of the time. My mom's a chef so we can do meals pretty quickly.

I guess the chores in my house are pretty even. I think yr son is sort of overreacting, but hey he's a teenager. It's what we do best

Favorite Girls Names: Annabelle Irene, Ruby Claire, Charlotte Rose, and Stella Louise.
Favorite Boys Names: Nathaniel Grey, Sebastian Eric, Connor Thomas, and Elijah Robert.

Myspace*Photos
January 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I been doing cleaning on and off all weekend. Went to church today. Back now with some wash going. Then got some stuff together to make supper tonight. Did the dishes, vaccuumed the carpet. I guess I gotta go clean the bathroom next. Toilet needs it good. Scrubbed the bathtub yesterday. Cleaned up dh's computer room just a bit ago. But Oh I don't do anything around the house. And the I never get a Thank You from our son when I go food shopping. Like thanks for buying some food.
January 30th, 2005, 07:59 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I do about 95% of the chores in the house.

Really, I don't mind doing the chores. I like doing all of it!

January 30th, 2005, 08:29 PM
If~Only~Life~Was~Easy's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to If~Only~Life~Was~Easy Send a message via Yahoo to If~Only~Life~Was~Easy
Well i still live with my mom and dad, But i do the dishes, my clothes and towels i dirty up, and i make the coffee for my parents before i leave or if im staying home, before they get in. So heres its pretty much do what you messed up except the dishes thats my "chore" lol.

<span style="color:#33CCFF">^^ most recent pic i could find grrr, he hates his pic being taken! ( Whoopic Cushion & Mardi Gras )
January 31st, 2005, 10:12 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I am a sahm so I do most of the work inside and outside. My dh empties the kitty little box for now at least because I am preggers. My 10yr ds does these chores: Feed the fish when I ask, wash kitties water bowl and refill when I ask. (couple times a week on these). Folds and puts away his laundry, keeps his room semi tidy. He helps me with the landscaping, takes out the recycling, sets the table every evening, helps with dinner frequently. Sweeps or vacuums a room or two once a week. Helps with a few other various chores when I ask him to.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
February 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM
Cindermella
I clean everything
kids keep their rooms clean
emily bathes the little kids
malcolm and elenor clear the kitchen after dinner
eliza takes out the trash
February 3rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
mom2one's Avatar Super Mommy
I do everything and I work 40 hours a week outside the house! That is why I only have one child...I do most if not all of the caring of everyone. Dh is good about spending quality time with dd and playing, he does work outside in the yard and cleans up after the dog...but I do most of the care taking (laundry, cleaning, cooking, getting dd up and dressed, brushing teeth, baths, taking to school and picking up, the bills, finances). So I do it all, but I do it for myself, so I don't resent it. But I think I will stop at one child though....just so I can manage it all.

Dh has a very physical job 40+ hours a week, and can be extremely lazy any other time when it comes to cleaning and so forth. But he plays well!!! DD loves that!
February 3rd, 2005, 01:52 PM
holly76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to holly76
I do the majority of the household chores! I hate doing them especialy after working all day. Hubby helps out sometimes, he's getting better. He needs more training!
February 3rd, 2005, 02:17 PM
tara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to tara
I do a large portion of the chores (seeing how I work from home), and dh does some as well. His main chores are the garbage, kitty litter, dog yard, and laundry now. I would do the laundry myself but the washer and dryer are in the basement and he doesn't want me falling down the stairs...not to mention I can no longer get all the clothes out of the washer because of my belly. I do fold/hang them though.

Host for
Baby/Children's Gear
Co-host for
April Playroom

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search