Prozac, Zoloft..ect Any on these during pregnancy?

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2005, 04:41 PM
Veteran
[I][B]Has anyone been on anti depressants during pregnancy and their children/child has come out fine?
February 2nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
AmberC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberC
As far as I know your supposed to stop taking them when you get pregnant. I had a friend who was on meds for depression and she was told to stop taking them. I would talk to the dr about it.

</div>
February 2nd, 2005, 05:00 PM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
I was on a low dose of paxil with my youngest son, and it had no bad effects... I had my first son when I was 15, so if you want to talk, feel free to email me or add me to your msn if you have it. tinselgirl23@hotmail.com

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>
February 2nd, 2005, 06:10 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I took Zoloft when I was pregnant. I took this along with another med. I had gestational diabetes, he was born premature, and he has a lot of problems. I do not know that the meds had anything to do with it but it is something that I have to live with. I would say talk to your doctor and decide with him/her if the benefits outweigh the risks and if the meds you are using are safe.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 2nd, 2005, 06:58 PM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was trying to get pregnant the first time, my doctor did a risk/benefit analysis with me. Basically it really depends on how severe your depression gets and how well you can control it without the meds. I weaned myself off the prozac then and was able (for the most part) to keep it under control since then. However, I had some depression issues that I was having some difficulty dealing with earlier in THIS pregnancy and my new doctor would have put me on meds again if I felt I needed them. Only you and your doctor know how bad you get when the depression hits hard, but there are potential risks. *hugs*

February 4th, 2005, 12:42 PM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
my doc put me on zoloft when i was about 4-5 months pregnant with alayna. i took 50 mg a day. i had to take it due to severe depression. she is fine and had no problems at birth. i was afraid that she would have problems but i also needed the medicine to function....i nearly had a nervous breakdown. talk to your doc but mine said that it would be fine and it was. i was able to wean off soon after i had her and i have not needed it this pregnancy. i thought for awhile that i was going to have to but i pulled through. i would have taken it again if i had needed it.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
February 4th, 2005, 12:48 PM
jen1978's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jen1978 Send a message via Yahoo to jen1978
It really depends on the meds. I would talk to the dr. ASAP most people i know had to stop taking them. My dr. Advised me to stop because i was still battling Post Partum depression after the birth of my first child when i got pregnant with my second. If you need any more advice feel free to PM me
February 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I wanted to add that I do not really think the Zoloft caused Brandon's problems. I think it has been used in pregnancy a lot. The other med I was taking is the one I really think may have caused some problems but even at that I am not sure that it had anything to do with it.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 6th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Regular
Before I found out I was pregnant, I was taking Elavil (Amitryptilene) and when I got pregnant, my doc switched ,y to Zoloft. My doc says it depends what kind you are taking whether it will affect the kid or not. Elavil is a class X- Whch means there have been no studies in pregnant humans but in animal studies, it was determined unsafe and hazardout to an unborn fetus. Also, of cases documented where women did take Elavil while pregnant, there have been problems/complications/birth defects/etc. Basically don't take.
Zoloft on the other hand is a class B- Which means there have been no clinical studies on pregnant humand, but studies in animals have shown no adverse side effects and of pregnant women who just happened to take it (outside of a trial) there have been no documented problems attributed to it. Doc says a class B is about as good as you are going to get for a pregnancy class. According to her it is hard to do studies- I mean imagine your answer if a doc said "we don't know the effect this will have on your kid, but we'ed like to find out. Mind taking it while you are pregnant?" There are no class A antidepressants.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search