Would you use donated breast milk????

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2005, 12:50 PM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
I don't mean this to be a breasteeding/bottlefeeding debate I am just curious to see what other moms think about this....

i seen this segment on the night news last night. a woman was a cancer survivor and was unable to breast feed. to get breast milk from a milk bank was something like 17,000 dolllars so she went online and asked for donations of money to help her out but instead 200 plus mothers offered her their milk and they ship it to her. somehow she has it screened for diseases. I was just wondering what would you do.

I personally have bottlefed all my kids so no unless there was a medical reason that my child HAD to have breastmilk i would not use another moms milk. Although when i was trying to breast feed bryce and i had to go out a friend on mine did offer to breastfeed him....i said no thanks!
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
February 4th, 2005, 12:55 PM
jen1978's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jen1978 Send a message via Yahoo to jen1978
Quote:
unless there was a medical reason that my child HAD to have breastmilk[/b]
I couldnt breast feed either due to a breast reduction that scarred alot of my mild ducts and the surgery left me with nipples that wont stay hard (TMI) so my children wouldnt latch but I would NEVER even think of using donated milk. my kids did just fine on the bottle. I could get some milk out but i couldn't even think to donate it.
February 4th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Cindermella
no I would not
when you know what you have consumed and you breast feed that is one thing

I would not take the chance hoping the donor was eating right and staying away from drugs and smoking.

no no and no somemore

in this case I feel formula is the better option

face it
we live in a sick sad world. I wouldn't be chancing it with my baby
February 4th, 2005, 01:03 PM
those were kind of my thoughts too...they said aids, syphillis, hepatitis and lots of other diseases can be spread through breast milk...i wasn't even thinking about alcahol, drug use or poor diet..i was just thinking disease. like i said somehow she was able to have the milk screened ( although that would seem to be pretty costly too) I just would be too afraid to take the chance on my baby.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
February 4th, 2005, 01:07 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yuck! I wouldnt do that. They make great formulas now adays. There is no reason not to use formula.

Back in the day though the nanny of the rich families would breastfeed other peoples kids. She would have a child of her own and just never let her milk dry up.

February 4th, 2005, 01:11 PM
PleasedasPunch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would as long as I knew it came from a reputable breast milk bank... they scan it for all diseases and drugs. Go ahead bash me and my ideas if you all wish but nothing would change my mind unless I heard of cases in which a bank screwed up and didn't screen their breastmilk.

February 4th, 2005, 02:52 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I might do it if I could afford it and I knew it was screened for diseases. Teresa's kids have had my breast milk and vise versa. But we never did that on purpose really. It was usually from one of our kids snagging the other kids bottle. I don't think its a big deal.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by PleasedasPunch@Feb 4 2005, 06:11 PM
I would as long as I knew it came from a reputable breast milk bank... they scan it for all diseases and drugs. Go ahead bash me and my ideas if you all wish but nothing would change my mind unless I heard of cases in which a bank screwed up and didn't screen their breastmilk.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
I am with you. I don't think its a big deal. I think people are just not used to the idea. I mean people take donated blood all the time. I think its just a new concept, thats all.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 5th, 2005, 09:19 PM
i would use it from a milk bank if need be...i would not use it if people were just shipping it to my house is what i am saying....and that is what this lady is doing. i was just wondering what everyone thought, thanks for the responses.
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
February 6th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Stephanee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the thought of that makes me sick... lol

February 6th, 2005, 06:43 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have breast fed........I will again if we are blessed with a baby together. If for some medical reason I couldn`t breast feed. Our baby would get formula.

February 6th, 2005, 09:42 AM
AmberC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberC
NO! OMG! Breast is the best, but MINE.. not someone elses. I'd go with formula if I could not supply the milk for some reason.

</div>
February 6th, 2005, 09:56 AM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Nope, gross. Even though I plan on breastfeeding, if I could not, i would definately use formula.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
February 6th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely not random people mailing to my house. I mean, if I was trying to nurse and my milk supply wasn't coming in well and like my sister had a baby at the same time with an overabundance of milk, I might supplement with hers or something, but I don't think I would ever choose to do it as the "main" source.

February 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Regular
My dearest friend is pregnant also, she is a month behind me. Although I would have no problem using her breast milk (even letting her breastfeed my baby if I were not around) I don't think I could use milk from a bank only because I don't know the lifesyles of women donating it. My mother said it is a horrible idea for me to consider letting a friend breastfeed my baby due to bonding and whatnot, but they used wet nurses in earler times. And I dont mean I would let her so I wouldnt have to, I just mean as a matter of convenience as she will be the one babysitting while I am away at work

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search