New "old" Dad introducing myself

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2006, 09:25 PM
maximize's Avatar Regular
Hi all:

I hope you don't mind. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm not a new dad. I'm a new GrandDad! How sweet is that?!

Two beautiful grandchildren and one more on the way. And yes, being a grandparent is everything they said it would be.

So why am I here? I wasn't a very good dad. I worked all the time and spent too little time with my kids. Sure I went to the ballgames and school events when I could, but I did a lot of damage by not being the nurturing, supportive father I should have been.

In fact, I lost my kids — they didn't want to be around me much anymore. I caused them lots of pain. I'm making up for it. In the past 15 years, I've had to unlearn all the things I "knew" about parenting and accept that I'd done most of it wrong. I had to rebuild my relationships with my kids which I did successfully. We have a great time together now and we're really good friends. They invite me into their lives. It doesn't get much better than that.

So I'm here to contribute when I can. I'm certainly not one to say, "Back in my day. . ." I'm just thankful that my kids were willing to meet me on new ground. Hope I can help.

I'll check in regularly.

Thanks,

David

Oh, by the way. The moms have posted more than 29,000 messages and the pops have done 320. . .? Hmm.
dp

Learn the secrets of rebuilding relationships with your kids with Bad Dad: 10 Keys to Regaining Trust
Download a Free Report on keeping your Baby safe in all circumstances
World Wanting Peace — Everyone wants peace. Today's a good day to start.
February 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hubby2Ali's Avatar Regular
Welcome David. I'm glad that you were able to patch things back up with your kids. There is nothing that can take the place of family.

(We can catch them... )

<div align="center"></div>
February 20th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Natasha1983's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Natasha1983
Hey david! (lurking mommy here lol) I just wanted to say that it takes a lot to admit what you just did. I respect you for it! I am so glad your kids are a part of your life, and even more happy that you get to spend time with your grandkids as well! I just started talking to my father recently again and am hoping we can build a relationship that doesn't focus on the past at all. Your post just gave a little added faith! Hope you have a good day

Quote:
Oh, by the way. The moms have posted more than 29,000 messages and the pops have done 320. . .? Hmm.
dp [/b]
** there are a good number of posts here from the mommies too... **

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
February 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM
maximize's Avatar Regular
Thanks for the kind words. I hope it all works out for you. Rebuilding a relationship with the kids is worth all the effort.

dp

Learn the secrets of rebuilding relationships with your kids with Bad Dad: 10 Keys to Regaining Trust
Download a Free Report on keeping your Baby safe in all circumstances
World Wanting Peace — Everyone wants peace. Today's a good day to start.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search