Computer Games: Good for kids? ~Reply to enter to win subscription

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Hi everyone,

We would love to get your thoughts on this topic, and by replying and posting your opinions you will be entered into a random drawing to win a 3-month subscription ($16.95 value) to Shidonni, a creative virtual world for kids!

Question: Do you think computer games can be good for your kids? If so, how do you think they can benefit children?

Please reply below!

Best regards,
The JustMommies Team

About Shidonni
Shidonni
is a virtual world for children, ages 5 and up, based on the idea of drawing animals and caring for them, but with a 21st century twist.

Visitors to the site receive a blank canvas where they can draw an animal and create a background for that animal to play. After drawing their virtual pets, children play with them as they magically 'come alive'. Children then care for their animals- feeding and bathing them. Children can also play games and create books that incorporate their animals as main characters.

Shidonni, unlike other virtual worlds, stays away from motivations that are based on money and goods. It encourages their imagination and motivates children to create animals and backgrounds. Shidonni then rewards them for their efforts by providing special effects, such as music, design effects, and more. Additionally, Shidonni offers awards for continued participation, from painting and pet care to friendship and galaxy awards (for children who collect planets, worlds, and games to create their own “galaxies.”)

The site empowers kids to create their own worlds and play with them in a safe, fun environment. By providing kids with drawing tools rather than "ready made" elements, Shidonni promotes imagination, creativity and computer skills in kids ages 4 and up.
Learn more about Shidonni, or try it for free
!

See Shidonni Sweepstakes Official Rules

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
May 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
Do you think computer games can be good for your kids? If so, how do you think they can benefit children?

I think well monitored computer games can be a very good tool. Both of my older children (Liam 4, and Noah 2.5(autistic)) are visual learners as well as auditory learners. Age appropriate games open up new worlds that I myself am limited to in teaching them. Noah gets a kick out of being allowed to click and press buttons, anticipating what effects his actions will create, while Liam gets excited beating "levels" to move on.
I do, mind you, believe in set computer times.

May 4th, 2009, 12:39 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think they can be beneficial to the kid but it depends on the game.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

May 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely think that computer games can be beneficial for kids - in moderation, of course. My daughter has been fascinated by the computer since she was old enough to understand what it was, and started playing preschool games at around age 3 1/2. The right games can be great for teaching basics (colors, letters, numbers) and for reinforcing what kids already know - making the practice fun means the child is more likely to stay interested and retain that information, so I'm all for it.

Now that she's five, she's interested in more advanced games where she has to advance levels, as well as virtual reality games - Littlest Pet Shop has an online world (similar to Webkinz) and she loves to care for her pets there. Although there's less to be learned there, she's learning (and quite well!) how to navigate online, as well as basic computer use - typing, proper method of shutting down - and knows to never, never give any personal information to anyone that she "meets" online.

The computer is also a BIG privilege in our house...she knows that she may lose it for serious infractions of the rules, so it's a nice little motivator too.

So, yes, we're all for computer games - so long as they're age and content appropriate, and with time limits enforced.
May 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that computer games can be very educational and beneficial to children. Of course I would recommend that they be supervised. Computer learning is very interactive and makes learning fun. There's so much audio and visual and unlike television, it's not spoon-fed to them as they simply sit there and watch, mouths hanging agape.

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

May 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*and computers also allow double posts *

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Last edited by Cheet_oh; May 4th, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
May 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Computer games are great for kids. People call this the "technology age", but what they really mean is that so many things we used to do by hand are now being done by a computer. (Come on... even the wheel is technology!) Children need a fun way to familiarize themselves with the computer without fear of screwing something up. Computer games also trick children into learning things they would resist otherwise. For example, my 3 year old doesn't like to read books by himself (unless no one's looking). He prefers for us to read to him because we have a more fluid voice (years of practice). However, he absolutely LOVES reading stories online. He's learning the biographies of classical composers right now. What 3 year old would do that without a game to make it fun? Sites like Poisson Rouge, BrainPOP Jr., Starfall, PBS KIDS, Seussville, and Little Amadeus make learning so much fun that I have a hard time pulling him away from the computer!

(P.S. ... computer games also create a little father/son bonding time when they're glued to W.o.W. )

Last edited by BensMom; May 4th, 2009 at 08:43 PM.
May 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
I think that some computer games can benefit children. My son likes playing Nick Jr games.. which help teach him how to count, his shapes, alphabet, colors and so much more. Also some of the time management games help teach children how to manage time. Sometimes I don't have time to sit down with him and go over these things, with having 2 other children.
May 5th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I think computer games can be very good for children. My older two, ages 7 and 9, have learned many things from games, including games that are not educational. Both improved in reading through computer games.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 5th, 2009, 04:22 PM
hotjai21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to hotjai21
I think computer games can be benificial with proper monitoring and only certain games. Computers are everywhere now so I think that teaching kids, even at a very young age, how to use them is a good idea. I dont think that kids should be allowed to play on the computer all day, but there are alot of educational games out there that teach kids and theres nothing wrong with playing those from time to time.

May 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Ma-2-Thing 1-2-n-3's Avatar Leslie ~ 2 boys ~ 1 girl
Do you think computer games can be good for your kids? If so, how do you think they can benefit children?

I think computer games can be good for children. My son loves to play his math games online and it helps him with many different concepts from money to fractions. He also reads online which boasts his self confidence. So, Yes they can be benefical in moderation.
May 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think good computer games can be good them in moderation. They can help them with reading skills, math skills, spelling, science and they can also help them with creativity.
May 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Heidi77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally think computer games can be beneficial for kids, as long as they are the right kind of games, and properly supervised. My son has learned a lot from the computer - one of his favorite things to do is perform virtual surgeries! He knows more about hip replacements and deep brain stimulation than I do.

My 3 1/2 year old has a speech delay and is a bit behind his peers in learning his colors/letters/numbers, etc.. he has just recently started playing on the computer and I'm noticing a difference in his ability to focus and complete more difficult tasks.

I'm a fan of computer games for kids!

Awesome siggy by Meganpixel

May 6th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
I think some computer games can be educational for children, it would depend on the game and the child's learning style I guess

May 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
I definitely believe they can be beneficial for children! My 3 year old son loves to play on NickJr.com and PlayhouseDisney.com. He is actually learning math from some of the games. He knows how to type his name in when they ask for it, too. I think he can work a computer better than my mom can

and thank you Chrystal, for the links! I bookmarked them

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

May 10th, 2009, 09:10 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think some can be yes...and moderated. There is no need for my child to sit behind a computer screen for hours at a time. Every kid needs a lil enjoyment and fun...so the fun games are OK too. I, however, do not like the games that have the chats available for kids, that really kinda creeps me out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search