Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2004, 11:49 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Were you spanked when you were a child? If you were, how did it effect you as an adult?
~ HOST to ~FortySomething {Plus} Mommies~

August 15th, 2004, 11:59 AM
I Heart 4x4
Yes, I was. Honestly, it doesn't really have an affect on me now, as an adult. It didn't when I was a kid, except it made me hate my parents for a brief while. It also made me hate belts. Spankings made me angry, it didn't teach me anything. I got my butt blistered for something and the next day I would do it again.

It was stupid.

I don't think spanking works. JMHO.
August 15th, 2004, 12:00 PM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Originally posted by tamw402004@Aug 15 2004, 01:49 PM
Were you spanked when you were a child? If you were, how did it effect you as an adult?
I was spanked 2 times that I remember. And I can remember why too! I was 6 yrs old the first time and went to a friends house that my Mom did not know. She lived a little too far from our house too. And 8 yrs old the second time, my friend & I went down to the railroad tracks and played on a train treasel.We had tar all over us. (Yes, I was a tomboy at times) My Mom spanked me.I know I deserved those spankings . I scared my Mom both times by going too far in our neighborhoods when I knew I was not suppose to. ( She could not find me, when I got home ,I got it!) My Dad would never spank me because he knew he was too heavy handed. All he had to do is look at me! I would cry!
My Mom has always said I was a real good kid.
Those 2 spankings didn`t harm me one bit....I felt sad afterwards because I had scared my Mom so bad.. That was why she spanked me...
~ HOST to ~FortySomething {Plus} Mommies~

August 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Not spanked, beaten.
It's made me more aware of how I parent my kids. Meaning, I've had to actually learn from people other than my "parents" how to discipline my kids.
Not cool.
August 15th, 2004, 05:07 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
Yes, I was ... the only time I ever hated my mom for it, she actually didn't spank me, she slapped me in the face (the one and only time it happened). As far as the spankings, heck yes they worked, I did NOT want to get spanked. I have the world's BEST parents. I'm the only one of my friend's that I know of that didn't grow up in a dysfunctional home (meaning friends that I grew up with). My parents were/are very loving. We totally knew when we'd crossed the line. I actually don't have memories of ever being spanked (except that slap in the face). Therefore, I don't believe that it happened often. They never beat any of us (there are 5 of us, I'm the baby). They had high expectations and for the most part we've met them.n My oldest sister holds 2 bachelor's degrees, my 2nd sister is a realestate agent, my 3rd sister has a degree in pharmacology technician, my brother holds 2 bachelors (business, aeronautical engineering) and a masters in international finance. I have the lonley useless associates degree. None of us drink to excess, we've never done drugs and we've never been arrested.

I don't think ti works for every child, no form of discipline does. I have a niece that is trying really hard to do positive reinforcment and she has a terror on her hands. He pushed his < 2year old sister down the stairs a couple of weeks ago. IMHO, that deserved something more than "Cam, that wasn't very nice" I have spanked my big boys (when they were younger), when necessary and I'm sure Liam will as well, provided nothing else works.

No child is the same, I may neverh ave to spank Liam, which would be WONDERFUL. I so do not enjoy it!!!
August 15th, 2004, 05:55 PM
I was, and I think it made me a better kid. I feared my parents and the paddle or belt. I won't ever spank Avery with a belt or paddle, but I do spank occasionally with my hand.
August 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Janelle's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Janelle Send a message via Yahoo to Janelle
I got spanked often when I was a child. With a board, a hanger, and a hand. I have spanked Avery, doesnt faze him one bit. I am trying to stop spanking b/c I dont want my kids to fear everytime I walk into the door like I did with my father. I dont know if it works or not from personal expierence. I think I was spanked for the wrong reasons. I.E. Dropping my bowl of cereal on the kitchen floor.

August 15th, 2004, 10:59 PM
grneydgurl's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to grneydgurl Send a message via Yahoo to grneydgurl
I was spanked by my parents when I was younger, and it did make me a difference in my life I think. I cant explain it, I just think it is a personal way of looking at things now.

I have hit my son on a few occasions, once because he hit me first at the age of 10(AM NOT HAVING THAT), and the basic spanking when he was in his terrible 2/3 stages. But I would say an all of 3 times.
<div align="center"> </div>
<div align="center"> Proud wife to Steve and mom to Adrian </div>
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"> Jesci's Myspace </div>
August 16th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Silver's Avatar Veteran
Yea...I was spanked as a kid...Not very often. My big bro was spanked more than me. Mainly cause he used to wrestle with me and make me cry...So mom would spank him.

I can only remember being spanked once...I don't remember what I did, but I remember being scared and running up to my room to get away from it. When my mom caught me though she slapped my butt with her hand only. She used to use wooden spoons on my brother! I don't know how many were broken on his butt!! lol

I don't think it affected me as an adult whatsoever...We actually laugh about it now..."Remember that time mom when you chased me up the stairs!! HAHAH!"

As a child though I feared getting spanked so I was a better child for it I believe.

S/O and I have talked about discipline and we both agree on methods...To a point. She's almost 2 and when she gets into things Scott with slap her hand...When she's older if she does dissobey, or does something she's not supposed to...I probably will spank her. I can't see myself doing it to the extreme, meaning I won't use anything other than my hand...

If you check out My Webpage You'll see some pics of us.
August 16th, 2004, 08:10 AM
yes i was spanked and really it has had no effect on me today. not unless you were beaten i think you really just forget about it.
August 16th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Goodnu2003's Avatar Veteran
I was spanked/beat alot growing up and it hasnt changed a thing in my life other than I will NOT hit my children in the ways I was hit....I have hit my son with my hand thats it...
<span style="font-family:Times">Rose</span>

August 16th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Yup, I was spanked. Wasn't everyone? LOL. I don't know that it affected who I am now either way. I know I was a good child though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search