Cleaning their room

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Janelle's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Janelle Send a message via Yahoo to Janelle
Ok do you guys think I am incorrect to make my 4 almost 5 yr old clean his room? It is driving me nuts. I have to go in there and count for him to pick stuff up!! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to help me modivate him?

August 16th, 2004, 02:57 PM
ConnectingRainbows's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No... it is not unreasonable at all for you to expect your son to clean his room. It's better to start young. Keep your expectations low. You will probably need to give him small tasks to do one at a time. (At least I do with my son.)

My husband has gotten into the habit of playing the hot/cold game with my son to help motivate him. Find the red sock and put it in the laundry basket.... you're getting hotter.... He makes it fun and it gets done faster.

I'm a hard-***** personally... I don't play... I just supervise.

Tired of feeling like you have to be superwoman, caring for everyone but yourself?
You don’t have to! JourneyToJoy.com
August 16th, 2004, 03:16 PM
mom2one's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by nellenelli@Aug 16 2004, 03:49 PM
Ok do you guys think I am incorrect to make my 4 almost 5 yr old clean his room? It is driving me nuts. I have to go in there and count for him to pick stuff up!! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to help me modivate him?
The only advice I have regarding cleaning rooms is, make sure you have actually given them direction and a how too on cleaning their rooms. Not saying you, but alot of parents send their kids to their room to clean it and they stand there not knowing what to do or feel overwhelmed at where to start, so they start playing or get distracted. Saying, pick up your toys, isn't real good exact directions on doing it.

I would say, make sure you spend a couple times helping him get the hang of it. Tell him, first to grab the trash basket and do trash first. Then pick up all clothes and put it in the laundry and then pick up toys that go in the toy box, then the toys that go in the closet.

Anyway, provide him a detailed game plan on exactly what to do, help him do it a few times and that should help him get the foundation down and have no excuses in the future!!!

Anyway, You may have already done this all, it was just something I learned that I like to pass on.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search