Was I disappointed with some cheese I got at the store

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I stopped at the grocery store today for a few things after church. I figured we'd have quiche for a late breakfast. I figure some shredded swiss cheese would be good. I get home. Was assembling ingredients for the quich. When I got to opening up that bag of Sargento swiss cheese. It was all moldy. Of course with the coloring etc. on the package. I never noticed that in the store. I poured it in a bowl. Looked at it closely. Then looked at the package. Making sure I didn't buy the kind with herbs and spices mixed in. No it was a fungusy green nasty throughout. Figuring the cheese was opened. The store might not take it back. Even though I had the reciept with todays date on it. I threw the cheese out. But saved the wrapper. I went to the Sargento website to inform them about the cheese I bought. I figured it had to be cross contamination on their part. Maybe the machine that shreds and or packages the cheese was not properly cleaned and sanitized after use. So some germs got in the next batch of cheese packaged. Usually vaccuumed packed cheese has quite a shelf life before going moldy. Not unless the store did not refrigerate it immediately upon recieving it.
March 13th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
You know, I have had that problem twice with Sargento. When you get a good batch of it, it is a pretty good brand of cheese. My DH LOVES the Mexican blend spicy one (can't remember the name). Makes awesome quesadillas!
But we bought it, intending to use it that day and opened it and saw a huge chunk of mold. Ewww!

I never thought about contacting the company though.

March 15th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I never got a response from the company yet. But it felt good to complain to them anyways.
March 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
At least you made them aware, which is more than what I did. I just threw the stuff away.

April 3rd, 2006, 05:25 AM
imsowitty's Avatar Member
I had a problem With Mc Cain Superfries, They were supposed to be pretty much oil free but the still stined my new cooking sheet, So I emailed and ask how do I avoid this? I got loads of coupons for free stuff and the advice was tro put down foil first
April 8th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'm glad you contacted the company. I honestly would call their customer service line to speak to someone.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM
dawnk777's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that's horrible. Sargento packages their cheese about 10 miles from my house! I would think they would be more careful. I buy Sargento provolone slices for my kids lunch sandwiches and have never had a problem with that cheese. I usually buy the Roundy's shredded cheddar, though, since that is cheaper. I have never had a problem with that being moldy, either.

I wonder if there could have been a problem with the truck it was transported in, too. There are all kinds of reasons why that cheese would be icky. You would think that they would respond to you with a coupon or something.

Once I had a new container of oatmeal. It was up high in my cupboard and started to fall. They were experimenting with a new lid. As it fell, I reached up to stop it. The cover popped off and the oatmeal fell all over the floor. After I cleaned up the mess, I called up the 800 number on the package and complained, since it was a full package. They sent me a coupon for a new one, right away. Also, they changed the cover, too!

ETA: I don't work for Sargento, though. I'm a nurse.

April 11th, 2006, 12:14 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Good for you calling about the oatmeal package .... I would have been TICKED off!!

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search