Homebirth Thread: Would You Have One?

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Becky gave me the idea for this thread. I think it's a good idea!

We're chosing to have a homebirth with our September baby after our experience at the hospital. It's amazing how women are treated during labor, as if they have no clue at all what their bodies are going through. Now, I'm sure that's true with some women, but not for me. I used my 9 months of pregnancy to research....Pregnancy!

So I go into the hospital, determined to have a natural birth, armed with tons of knowledge about everything from routine IVs (bad idea) to EFM (bad idea) to amniotomy (bad idea). I expected to find staff who would work with me. After all I had just turned 24, my pregnancy was perfect, the baby was perfect, my health was perfect, and I was well informed. Yet they treated me like I was at death's door. Uhg. One of my strongest memories is me yelling at the nurses while in active labor because they wanted to put an IV in me. For no reason! Ah, I am so looking forward to September.

What about you? Would you ever chose a homebirth?

~Nay
March 15th, 2006, 08:04 AM
My husband and I did our first homebirth in 2004 and plan to do another one this year with our fourth child. Our first child was born in the hospital using midwives. Our second was born at a birthing center using midwives. Our third was a homebirth using midwives and it was by far the best. I would never have my child in a hospital after having one at home. The experience is very rewarding and it's much more peaceful.
March 15th, 2006, 08:11 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would LOVE to have a homebirth but my DH didnt support me in that so I will be having this baby at the hospital--and not the hospital I wanted to deliver at because of insurance issues. My DH is a very...."medical"...person. That's the only way I know how to describe it. He doesnt like to go against the "norm" and to him a homebirth would be against the norm. Although I'm not happy about it, I will not bring our child into the world without 110% support from him.
I will be going to the hospital at the last minute though. I dont plan on leaving my house until I think I'm in transition. Even if my water breaks before contrax start I plan on staying home walking with my breastpump before I go to a hospital to sit in bed with an IV and pitocin.

March 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I couldn't agree with TylerJ more. I would love to do a homebirth but unfortunately dh isn't comfortable with it. And like Jen said I wouldn't do it without 110% support. That being said I do plan on being very very vocal about my wishes and what I want. If someone goes against it I will sign out AMA.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 15th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Quote:
I couldn't agree with TylerJ more. I would love to do a homebirth but unfortunately dh isn't comfortable with it. And like Jen said I wouldn't do it without 110% support. That being said I do plan on being very very vocal about my wishes and what I want. If someone goes against it I will sign out AMA.[/b]
Looking back, we should have signed the AMA about that d*mned External Electronic Fetal Monitor. It's kind of hard to walk around and change positions (2 very important methods of dealing with labor pain) if your tethered like a dog to a 4 foot cable. I can't even count how many times I almost yanked it to the ground. I had a nice nurse who spent what time she could walking with me and carrying the monitor (I think? She carried something anyhow) and gave me more freedom.

Of course the funny thing is that study after study shows that EFM do not improve the outcome for babies at all, but they do increase unnecessary cesarean's by 3x. (My midwives said 5x).

~Nay
March 16th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
have had 2 of my 3 at home and will do it again next time!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

March 16th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you can find a great mw and have a regular lowrisk pregnancy.. Homebirth (imo) is the way to go..

finding a great mw can be tough...getting the support from hubby and the family can be tough..

Having a baby in the comfort of your own home and having the birth experience that you desire is great..
Better then having crabby nurses and you don't have to be in constant fear of what someone is going to try to do to you next...

Great thread Nay.

Becky
March 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
MinnesotaMommy
Neither of us had the desire to do a home birth. I prefered to do at hopsital.
March 16th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I have had very difficult pregnancies and deliveries so I have no choice to go to the hospital. Our new OB/GYN has already told us with the next we are doing a scheduled c-section. My sister just had one & it was way easier on her than laboring for hours just to end up having one. I had that happen to me twice & my whole birth experience of hearing my son cry after he was born was ruined. So repeat c-section for me in the hospital!

If my body didn't do this to me though, I would have maybe thought about home births. I know a friend who had one with her last & she just raves about it!

March 16th, 2006, 10:55 AM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would love to have a homebirth. But to me me its only special if you own your own home. I wouldn't want to give birth to my child in a place that we are renting, just because that memory will always be in that place not in your own home. I think it would be really special in my very own home though. Just knowing that my child was brought into the world at my house. I dunno.....JMO
March 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Maybe Renee (or other gals) would like to offer up some good online resources to the table..
Not to debate homebirth/hospital birth.. but just to have some things for others (and lurkers) to read for interest...

Becky
March 16th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Sure! Here's some websites I like.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/ronnie/homesafe.html

http://waterbirth.org/spa/index.php

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/

http://www.childbirth.org/

http://www.bygpub.com/natural/natural-childbirth.htm

There are some really great books to read. Any thing by Ina May Gaskins, Henci Goer, Diana Korte... all this is off the top of my head, can anyone else any?

~Nay
March 17th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
why homebirth?
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/why...a+birth+network

the safety of homebirth
http://www.changesurfer.com/Hlth/homebirth.html

homebirth: what are the issues?
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...irthissues.asp

midwife alliance of north america
http://www.mana.org/

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

March 17th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks girls!! Good info!!
March 17th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to heavenleighmommi
I did my one in the hospital. I like having people to help me there for a a few days while I rest. Breakfast, lunch and dinner in bed. Plus, 24 hour babysitter. Who could want more? LoL...

March 18th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I read "Spiritual Midwifery"..... All I can say is LOL..
It really wasn't my cup of tea but I did like most of it..

Becky
March 29th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nina
I think it's nice, but I could never do it. I had two great birth experiences at hospitals.

xxx

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search