A poll-Earliest to stay home alone?

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Home alone
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 1 4.17%
8 0 0%
9 4 16.67%
10-12 13 54.17%
13-15 6 25.00%
16-17 0 0%
18 0 0%
NEVER! 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
These polls are annoymous btw.

I'm not trying to start a debate.. just seeing what others views are!!

Becky
March 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
I think, depending on the maturity of the kid, how long the parents are leaving, how close the parents will be (which, of course, determines how soon they can return should something happen) that age 7 is reasonable.

My grandma and grandpa lived next door growing up. Their house was an acre from ours so if need be I could have run to their house from ours in a few minutes. In fact, I even remember walking through the field in the dark, carrying my little blue suitcase, to spend the night at their house when I was just a tiny kid. He died when I was 8.5, and I had been walking up there for years by then.

~Nay
March 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM
i let my dd start staying home by herself when she was about 11 or 12. she is 13 now. i think 7 is way too young.
March 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Quote:
i let my dd start staying home by herself when she was about 11 or 12. she is 13 now. i think 7 is way too young.[/b]

I think you also have to place your area into consideration.. If I remember correctly nay said she grew up on a farm (is that right?!?) so I keep picturing the "outback"..
I grew up running around fancy free.. we never locked our house or our cars or really worried about being bothered.. we never had random visitors or whatever..
It wasn't until I moved to where I do now that I learned why car doors have locks..(I used to leave my purse in my car.. I didn't know any better until someone obviously needed my change more then I did)

My daughter sparked this poll.. She's 6 and she came home from school and I told her to leave her shoes on we had to run to the store (which is a 5 min walk away practically) and she was giving ME the lecture about how she's old enough to stay home and she'll be fine and what have you..lol

I looked at my 6 y/o going on 16 and I told her no I don't think so!! LOL

So I figured I'd ask.. I don't know what the average stay home alone time is...
I've heard people that had to work leave their 5 y/os home alone.. and I've heard people not really leaving their 16 y/o's home alone so I just thought this might be an interesting poll..
March 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Super Mommy
That is a good question. I have even looked up my state laws concerning this very thing. My state does not have a certain age limit. They say you must judge your child and decide. I did read somewhere (not for sure if it was the state) that you should only leave 8 to 10 year old for a shot period of time. No more than a few hours. I just now let my 13, 12 and 10 year old stay home when I run to the store. We do live in the country and my parents are across the field too. I don't trust people today like when I was growing up. I stayed home for a week one time at 14. My brother was 17 and popped in and out all the time. I had a blast and loved every min. of it. I didn't do anything wrong and I toke care of the place just fine. We even had a fire place to keep going. But my grandma was married at 14 and toke care of a husband and house. Then had kids right away, raising 13 babies. Times have changed though and kids do not seem as mature as they once were.

M
8 wonderful kids - 2 girls and 6 boys
5 angel babies
Our little treasure
Emerald Rosalyn Faith born Oct.17th

JOY IS A CHOICE!!!!
March 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nina
I'd let my daughter stay home alone starting at 13. I doubt she would, she's afraid of everything!

xxx

March 29th, 2006, 07:38 PM
ツMeagan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I put 13-15. That seems about right to me. I have a ways to go before having to think about that!
March 29th, 2006, 09:02 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Quote:
Quote:
i let my dd start staying home by herself when she was about 11 or 12. she is 13 now. i think 7 is way too young.[/b]

I think you also have to place your area into consideration.. If I remember correctly nay said she grew up on a farm (is that right?!?) so I keep picturing the "outback"..
[/b]
I grew up in a rural area. Not on farm, though my parents do own several acres of land and did quite a bit of gardening. Many of the neighbors raised horses and cattle though.

Like you said, it was very safe. Leave the doors unlocked during the day, leave the car running at the corner store, and run through dark fields at night.

~Nay
March 30th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
I grew up in a rural area. Not on farm, though my parents do own several acres of land and did quite a bit of gardening. Many of the neighbors raised horses and cattle though.

Like you said, it was very safe. Leave the doors unlocked during the day, leave the car running at the corner store, and run through dark fields at night.

~Nay
[/b]

Ooooh!! Forget the running through dark fields at night!! I saw children of the corn!!!! (I'm a scardy cat!)
April 2nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I put 9 years old. By that time growing up I was walking or riding my bike 2 miles to school by myself. I wouldn't let a child do that today, but if they are taught not to open the door for anyone and if you are just going to be running to the store for a few minutes I don't see the harm. Ground rules should be put in place (like no cooking), etc...and the child should know how to call 911 and her full name address parents full names etc. Given the right circumstances I would trust a 9 year old home for short periods. I was babysitting babies by the time I was 11! So I was not only watching myself but also other babies...but I was pretty mature for my age too. I probably wouldn't want to leave a child by themselves for extended periods of time (all day during the summer for example...or after dark) until they were at least 11 or 12.

April 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I voted 10-12 solely based on the fact that is when my own mother would leave my sister and I home alone if she had to run an errand (like 30 minutes tops). I honestly don't know what I will do for my own children. I think it totally has to do with the child's maturity, the time of day, how long I'd be gone.... there are a lot of variables to consider.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 13th, 2006, 12:01 PM
texasmomof2
I put 10-12, too. My kids will stay home while I run to the store, but we also live in a rural area where nothing ever happens. We don't lock our car doors ever, and I feel very safe where we live. Of course, the kids know not to open the door to anyone, and they aren't allowed to answer the phone unless it is me or DH calling so no one ever knows they are home by themselves, either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search