Unassisted childbirth

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2004, 06:25 PM
zonapellucida
I have just read about that many women are trusting their bodies nenough to labor at home wiht just DH in attendance. I wonder what the legalitiies of this would be? I am going to do more research because the idea appeals to me. Do you think it irresponsible? I read some birth stories and was amazed at how in tune these women were with themselves and birth. Would you ever consider it?
August 20th, 2004, 06:34 PM
ranidae
Heidi if I didnt have my health problems I would probably consider it if it was legal and DH was willing. Both my deliveries were easy other than the complications that lead up to them. With the twins the easiest part of the pregnancy was the delivery.
August 20th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
NO!!! My sister gave me the best advice of my pregnancy: "Repeat after me: ' I want an epidural... I want an epidural' "
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
August 20th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Janelle's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Janelle Send a message via Yahoo to Janelle
Quote:
Originally posted by Alice@Aug 20 2004, 07:39 PM
NO!!! My sister gave me the best advice of my pregnancy: "Repeat after me: ' I want an epidural... I want an epidural' "
LOL OMG ITA

August 20th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've read about women doing this too. I don't think it's irresponsible as long as you have a good back up plan, are reasonably close to a hospital and are willing to get help if you need it.

I don't think I could ever do it, but I admire any women who does.
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

August 20th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would do it but I'd be so afraid if something happened with the baby during the birth that needed medical attention, so I wouldn't do it. lol.

I also wouldnt' do it because I'd have to clean up the mess!!

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
August 20th, 2004, 07:19 PM
MinnesotaMommy
No, I perfectly happy going to the hospital and seeing my DR. face that i have put my trust in with all 3 of my deliveries and he has done great.
August 20th, 2004, 07:21 PM
MinnesotaMommy
I agree with you sunsetsue with everything you said. My last 2 needed medical attention, that they could not have gotten at home. ANd i would not want to clean up the mess.
August 20th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I Heart 4x4
Hecccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccck NO!

I wouldn't have a home birth either.

I want a fully trained, experienced, PhD carrying, scrubbed and ready-to-catch doctor when I am in labor.

There are so many things that can go wrong, you never know when you will need a c-section, or if the cord is around the baby's neck or a million other possibilities. It's just not safe, not smart, not responsible. I am a worry wart though.

And uh, I'm a wuss too. I'm all about the pain meds!!!
August 20th, 2004, 08:39 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by Ashley3303@Aug 20 2004, 08:45 PM
Hecccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccck NO!

I wouldn't have a home birth either.

I want a fully trained, experienced, PhD carrying, scrubbed and ready-to-catch doctor when I am in labor.

There are so many things that can go wrong, you never know when you will need a c-section, or if the cord is around the baby's neck or a million other possibilities. It's just not safe, not smart, not responsible. I am a worry wart though.

And uh, I'm a wuss too. I'm all about the pain meds!!!
The group of docs that we go to are called HOMEFIRST (homefirst.com) They deliver at home. They've been doing it for decades, so I can't imagine that they've had too many catastrophies. I know several people that have used them and LOVE them. They totally believe that birth should not be a medical procedure. God Forbid I get pregnant again, but if I do, I will use them and have the next one at home. I hated everything about having my last one in the hospital. I could have had him so much sooner if they had just let me do what I wanted (kept moving). I didn't want an epidural but the bi*** of a nurse put my pitocin up so high in 30 minutes time that I couldn't even think. I lost 2 hours of something that I wanted to treasure knowing he would be my last. <sigh> Someday, I'll post my birth story as written by my doula. She waited until Liam was almost a year old before she gave it to me, because she didn't want me to dwell on the negative. I cried for hours when I read it, it was so beautiful.

I don't think I could go the route of unassisted, but I would definitely do it with these docs and might even consider just a midwife (but it's not legal to have just a midwife in attendance in IL). I'm 8 miles from the hospital, just far enough to not want to do it alone.
August 20th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would consider doing it with my DH because he was a medic in the Army and had to be trained in childbirth, so at least he would know what he is doing. I don't think I would really ever do it for real though. I am too scared that something would go wrong with the baby. After all, he is only a medic and only trained in the minimals of delivering a child. I think I would feel much safer at a hospital with doctors and nurses and experienced medical help right on hand. It does make me feel good that my DH is trained though. We are a good 45 minutes from the hospital I will be having the baby at, and I know if for some reason we can't get there on time, at least he would know what he is doing. Although, there is a good chance he may freak out on me and forget everything he ever learned. lol I don't see anything wrong with it though. After all, women have been having babies long before the advantages of modern medicine. If they could do it, why not you?

August 20th, 2004, 09:19 PM
oreokitten
:clapping: I DID consider it, but Brian said heck no!!
http://www.freebirth.com/
I love that site! TONS of beautiful birth stories to read. I bought a book too....The Womans Guide to a Better Birth (I think) I know the Author is Henci Goer. You should read it if you are considering this. Most people will say it is irresponsible, but hospitals have a higher rate of infections and c-sections and forcep deliveries.... Things could happen that you will need medical help, but just prepare for that just incase. Anyway, this probably could turn into a debate and I have ton of info and statistics that show homebirth's are actually safer and especially if you know your own body...I just don't want to debate. If you are considering this, read up, trust your body and I would LOVE to hear your story! And what a great experience for your other children to see a baby be born! (Yes I know, another debate, lol) Hugs,
August 20th, 2004, 09:36 PM
grneydgurl's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to grneydgurl Send a message via Yahoo to grneydgurl
Quote:
Originally posted by Alice@Aug 20 2004, 08:39 PM
ITA!!!!!
<div align="center"> Jesci's Myspace </div>
August 21st, 2004, 04:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
If that is what the woman wants to do. I'm ok with that. But myself would not want to labor alone with just dh in attendance. I'd be afraid something would go wrong. Doesn't someone have to be there like a nurse or doc to verify legally when the baby was born. For the legal birth records. Many women do this instead of a hospital etc. to deliver their baby. That is definately going all natural child birth. For the women who do this. It must be a real special experience.
August 21st, 2004, 07:29 AM
pooker's Avatar Veteran
NO WAY! I agree with the epidural statement - I wanted one when I checked in! LOL

But seriously...with my first delivery - I had some serious bleeding - it took over an hour to get it stopped, and I ended up in a surgery room to have it done. I lost a lot of blood, and had I been at home, I could have died from blood loss.

With my second delivery, after a few pushes, Josh's heart rate dropped significantly. Found out the cord was wrapped around his neck - TWICE. Had a doctor not been there, he could have died.

I wanted to be at a hospital!!!!
August 21st, 2004, 09:36 AM
Rylee&#39;sMommy03's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Rylee&#39;sMommy03
No Way!!!!!!!!!!

The epideral is our friend
August 21st, 2004, 01:58 PM
alyssasmommy2001
Not me. More power to you if you choose it though. I had SEVERE preeclampsia with Alyssa, so they had to induce me at 36 weeks. I live 45 minutes away from my hospital, so I wouldn't even attempt it. I was definately not happy with my birth experience though. They put an IV in at noon, with a pitocin drip, and didn't even break my water until 5:00 pm. By the second they broke my water, so much pitocin had been put into my body that my contractions were under one minute apart. there were literally only seconds between the end of one contraction and the beginning of another, and the contractions were so strong they were in my back AND my stomach, so I had to have an epidural, even though I didn't really want one, b/c the contrations were so strong that Alyssa started going into fetal distress. At least when they gave me the epidural it stopped the stress on Alyssa, so I didn't have to have a csection. I could have KILLED someone though, lol.
August 21st, 2004, 02:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
I would be worried that something might happen, even if you had easy births before don't mean you will next time. What if the heart rate drops??? What if you don't dilate??? I would only do it if there was mid wife around who could make the decision if the baby gets in trouble to go to a hospital. I couldn't anyway, I had to many problems and ended up with an emergency c-section.
August 21st, 2004, 06:45 PM
Ma2RayPooh
i dont think i could ever do something like that. i am not saying it is wrong to do but i am also a worry wart and i would want to be where they could take care of the problem when it happens. as for the epideral i didnt have one with rayanne. i was to scared of the whole needle in my back thing! LOL i have been told i have missed out b/c of not doing it, but i think i did just fine without. i think having a midwife or something like that would be much safer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search