Cell Phones

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: For those of you that have cell phones ... what company do you have?
Verizon 4 18.18%
Sprint 1 4.55%
AT&T 3 13.64%
Cingular 5 22.73%
Nextel 3 13.64%
Voice Stream 0 0%
Other (posted below) 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2004, 12:13 PM
I Heart 4x4
DH and I want to get cell phones ... and we're trying to figure out the best plan for us.

We went and talked to Sprint today ... they want $72 a month (for both of us, total not each), we get 2 free phones (no mail in rebates, they're just free). We get 1,000 anytime minutes ... unlimited weekends and nights after 9pm. We can call anyone with Sprint for free at any time (my mom and dad have Sprint, so that would really work out). We would have nationwide long distance. 10 cents for every text message (but likely wouldn't use it). I think that's about it ... we can add $7 to it, and have the nights start at 7pm instead of 9pm. We can make it $75 and get 1500 anytime minutes, and add another $7 to that to make it $82 for the nights to start at 7pm.

What does everyone else pay? What kinds of goodies do you get? Etc.?

TIA!
August 24th, 2004, 12:29 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I have verizon

My dh and I are on the same plan. Our regular monthly charge is 39.99. We only get 400 day minutes but have unlimited weekends/nights

We don't need any more than that.

We pay 19.99 for the second line for a total BEFORE taxes is 59.98. With taxes it is 68.00.

We like verizon and don't have any problems with our service

August 24th, 2004, 12:36 PM
ranidae
We have Qwest, kinda sucks because there is no local tower so the numbers are long distance for anyone else but since we got them for emergencys and to keep in touch with each other that doesnt matter much.
We get 500 anytime minutes, phone to phone and phone to home calls are unlimited, and free long distance. I dont know how much exactly we pay for the cells because it is added into our local service bill but we only pay 79 a month for the cells and home phone.
We have online access option that we dont use (additional 10.00 a month and we have cable internet at home so why use it) games (Brick attack, tetris and paint) and lots of tools like scheduler, calculators, etc.
August 24th, 2004, 12:42 PM
traciecross2001's Avatar Member
We have Alltel and pay 57.00 a month for 1300 mins free nights and weekends free mobile to mobile and free long distance
August 24th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HippyChickKelly
We have Verizon My mom and my brother and his wife have Verizon and my dh and I are on a shared plan! Tho my phone really stinks but I dropped it a few times and it never works!!
my dh sister has it also I know That we have Unlimited night and weekends and I have unlimited Cell to cell minutes so If dh needs to call his sister he uses mine we could pay 10 extra dollars to have it onhis phone also but not nec My mom and I talk a lot so He thought it was better for mine to have it!!
~Kelly
August 24th, 2004, 12:54 PM
mom2one's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a discount throug work for my AT&T phones. I paid $25 for each phone, the new flip phone out. We have like 700 minutes I guess, free mobile to mobile, nights and weekends and I have MMode b/c I really like this feature when traveling, you can look up places to eat, a gas station or a bank.

I pay about $60 a month.
August 24th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Ma2RayPooh
i have sprint and dont know the plan b/c justin did all of that but we pay 58.00 a month. i dont like sprint at all, their customer service SUCKS! I am planning on switching in Feb when our contract ends and we are going to go to Verizon! Hopfully they will be better for us.
August 24th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
we have T-Mobile

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

August 24th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Veteran
We have Nextels...they are $100/month for two phones. We each get 2500 two-way radio minute, which we never even come close to using, even with dh using his for work a bunch. We get about 500 anytime minutes & free nights & weekends. We mainly only use the two-way since everyone we ever call also has a Nextel. The service has always been good...unless there's a hurricane...then apparently Nextel is the only cell that doesn't work Other than that we've never had a problem with them.
August 24th, 2004, 04:22 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
We currently have Tmobile, used to be voicestream in IL. We have a family plan 2 phones internet (not that we use it) downloadable crap (i did download addams family for my home number), 600 minutes free nights & weekends, free mobile to mobile 69.99 a month after the monthly surcharges & fcc fees ... it's 88.75

We're swtiching to verizon as soon as our contract is up with tmobile. They have better range of coverage and my family uses verizon which means mobile to mobile is free. We'll add a 3rd phone for my freshman so that he can call us from wherever they are playing (band) and I can come and get him. He's pretty responsible, so I'm not too worried that he'll abuse it.
August 25th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
We got AT and T Wireless. Had them about 3yrs now. They're ok for me. Well we pay about 24$ a month. I get 3,000 minutes. 500 of them are day time use. The rest are nights and weekends. I don't use all my minutes up every month. We don't make that many calls from our cell phone. It's more of an emergency thing.
August 26th, 2004, 05:03 AM
YankeeMom
We have two phones through Cingular. We get 400 anytime minutes, free nights & weekends, free mobile to mobile (any cingular customer) for $72
August 26th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Ryansmommy
We have Tmobile!
August 26th, 2004, 07:47 AM
alyssasmommy2001
We have FOUR mobile phones, lol! We both have a phone through Nextel and Verizon. I prefer Nextel, b/c of the two way radios. We use them for work all the time, it is really convenient b/c it has group talk on it, which means that you can talk to several people over the two way at one time, which works for us when we need to reach our subcontractors or our crew foremans. The only reason we have the verizons are for personal use pretty much, and b/c I can't always get in touch with Matt on the Nextel, b/c he is always on it, and I want to be able to get in touch with him when I go into labor. I really HATE Verizon, b/c they screwed us out of like $450.00 a couple years ago, and did it to three other people we know as well. But Nextel and Verizon are the only ones that work well where we are, so we had no choice. As far as costs, we pay about $800 a month in cell phone bills (!) b/c of work, but obviously, we pay that from our business account, so I couldn't tell you how much a ormal plan costs. Ours do everything short of cook dinner, lol. For those of you considering Verizon, make sure you really want to use them, b/c they make it almost impossible to end service with them.
August 26th, 2004, 08:20 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My hubby & I both have Verizon cell phones. We have the ones with cameras in them. They are pretty cool!
We are on a good plan too! We can talk to each other free and we get lots of free minutes. We both carry our phones everywhere we go. My kids all have cell phones too which is nice!

August 26th, 2004, 08:04 PM
TheGeneralsGal
We just got Nextel with the nifty walkie talkie feature!

Switching to Verizon?

ACK

<passes out>

I had the worst experience with them. They are evil little cave dwellers I tell you....
August 26th, 2004, 08:07 PM
TheGeneralsGal
Quote:
Originally posted by alyssasmommy2001@Aug 26 2004, 09:47 AM
We have FOUR mobile phones, lol! We both have a phone through Nextel and Verizon. I prefer Nextel, b/c of the two way radios. We use them for work all the time, it is really convenient b/c it has group talk on it, which means that you can talk to several people over the two way at one time, which works for us when we need to reach our subcontractors or our crew foremans. The only reason we have the verizons are for personal use pretty much, and b/c I can't always get in touch with Matt on the Nextel, b/c he is always on it, and I want to be able to get in touch with him when I go into labor. I really HATE Verizon, b/c they screwed us out of like $450.00 a couple years ago, and did it to three other people we know as well. But Nextel and Verizon are the only ones that work well where we are, so we had no choice. As far as costs, we pay about $800 a month in cell phone bills (!) b/c of work, but obviously, we pay that from our business account, so I couldn't tell you how much a ormal plan costs. Ours do everything short of cook dinner, lol. For those of you considering Verizon, make sure you really want to use them, b/c they make it almost impossible to end service with them.
ITA!

Pure evil I tell you. They 'accidently' sent our account to collections. I will tell you what after the new one I ripped them I am surprised said supervisor could sit. DH and I have worked on keeping our credit stellar. We have never been denied any type of credit. I will be darned if I ever give Verizon the chance to try to screw it up again. Evil evil evil. I have perfect credit. Like I said they are evil little cave dwellers. Ankle biters!!
August 26th, 2004, 08:24 PM
SpideyMom
My cell is through Cingular wireless, but it's also through SBC. This way my phone and cell bills are together on one bill. I pay $39.99 for 450 daytime and 5000 night and weekend minutes. And I have rollover on my unused minutes.
August 27th, 2004, 03:54 PM
YankeeMom
Quote:
Originally posted by SpideyMom@Aug 26 2004, 10:24 PM
My cell is through Cingular wireless, but it's also through SBC. This way my phone and cell bills are together on one bill. I pay $39.99 for 450 daytime and 5000 night and weekend minutes. And I have rollover on my unused minutes.
Oh yeah, gotta love those rollover minutes we've accrued over 3000 rollover minutes just in the first year we've had the phones. Too bad we can't keep them year after year though...
August 28th, 2004, 01:32 PM
alyssasmommy2001
Quote:
Originally posted by marinewifee2004+Aug 26 2004, 11:07 PM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-alyssasmommy2001
Quote:
@Aug 26 2004, 09:47 AM
ITA!

Pure evil I tell you. They 'accidently' sent our account to collections. I will tell you what after the new one I ripped them I am surprised said supervisor could sit. DH and I have worked on keeping our credit stellar. We have never been denied any type of credit. I will be darned if I ever give Verizon the chance to try to screw it up again. Evil evil evil. I have perfect credit. Like I said they are evil little cave dwellers. Ankle biters!! [/b]
Yup, that is what they did to us. They put us into collections TWICE over the final bill, which we were dumb enough to pay TWICE, to try to get out of collections. Then, when they sent us the statement showing that we were paid up, out of collections, and no longer had service or an account with them, my hubby gave his phone to a guy on one of his crews, and told him where to go to get the service turned on in his name on that phone. When he got his first manthly bill, they sent him AND us a bill, how screwed is that? Then we told them that we still had all of our paperwork and were going to take them to court if it continued, and they finally stopped screwing us. They are flat out CROOKED when you try to drop them. They will screw you in a heartbeat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search