Opinions Please / really need some help

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2006, 05:32 AM
hello ladies... Im new to posting to this board .... ive been recently been running into some issues regarding having my child baptised , im catholic and my BF is Jehova Whitness .... it is quite important to me to have the baby baptised as well as to my family espically to my mom as she is a hard core christian.... the latest blow up is my mother says she refuses to attend the christning if my Bf will not attend , although we are of different religions i think its a bit selfish for me to expect my BF to come and perticipate in something he does not beleive in ... Right? my mom says that he is the babys father and out of respect for me he should be there ..... what would the views of the catholic church be on this ? personally to me the baptism of a child should not be for show ... im sure my moms concern is people in the parish wondering where the father of the child is my personal opinion is she will be embaressed ..... and that makes me sooo angry .... I need to know if i can convince my BF to attend what exactly happens at a christining (its been many years since ive been to one ) do they ask the parents something along the lines of will you raise this child in christian beleifs ? ( i wouldnt want to hear bf's answer to that question) .... i just need to know what to expect .... also i would like to know if there is anyway to have a private baptism done , just myself and the baby to avoid all this conflict ... opinions please
Thanks
May 30th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there hun! I have a few suggestions for you... Check out some of the boards here on JM.. I believe the spiritual board.. Hosted by Michelle would be great place to ask this question...

I happen to be catholic... And daddy is a JW. I chose to not have my children baptised.. I know that sounds wrong of me to say, but I'm leaving all religious decisions up to them when they are old enough to be interested in that...

We have spirit in our home but not so much religion.. and I think it's that way b/c the religions that we both have.. There's God ect.. we're basically a non-denominational home....

I'm thinking it maybe possible to speak to possibly your pastor of a priest and see if things can be arrainged.. I know you have to select godparents for your child.. and If I remember correctly they do ask the parents to basically promise to raise the baby in the catholic faith...

If you want your child baptised.. I'm thinking in doing so that's a promise that you are going to raise your child catholic... So I think you should talk to your partner and say I know him being jw they don't do things the same way.. but it would be the understanding that the child will be raised catholic.. and it's important for dad to be involved...

Anyways.. I think your best bet would be to find either a religious/spiritual board here on jm and ask this question there... They'd probably know more specifics..
GL

Becky

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search