Family Tree

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2006, 08:55 AM
** Mandy **
Has anyone put together a family tree? How did you do it? What does it look like?
Any good free resources that you have found that helped you research?

June 20th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I just sort of did it on my own, breaking everyone up in generations, whose children belong to who and so on. I plan on having it professtionally done for all my children in a few years, starting with them, going all the way I can.
Most family tree websites I found you need to be a paying member. That is why I did mine on my own.

**FYI my brain is mush today lol so I don't care today how I use the whose whom, who's, etc. I am usually a stickler for grammar and will look it up but not today.

June 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have researched my and DH's genealogy in depth. I used a computer program to store my info and unfortunately when we had our computer redone EVERYTHING was lost (major communication break-down with DH!!). Thirteen years of research went poof. Luckily I do have hard copies of most it so I can put it back together when I regain trust in the computer again.

Actually, the pursuit of the information was the most fun. I found Revolutionary War soldiers, 1812 Soldiers, Native Americans, Confederates, Yankees, double first cousins, family rifts and even some family scandals! I really enjoyed doing mine so much I did my husband's, several neighbors (I found out I'm distantly related to one of them) and I also found that two co-workers were 5th cousins.

I did most of my information at the archives for my state (Alabama). I used to live in Montgomery and before I had children I went EVERY Saturday morning for about 5 years. I also used larger cities libraries which have genealogy sections--some are better than others. There is some free information available on-line but it is very hit-and-miss--like if you are looking for someone in Montgomery County Alabama, the 1860 Census might be on-line, but other years aren't.

I do have a membership to Ancestry.com if you would like help getting started or have specific questions you want me to look up (like if you're looking for a specific person or family in the 1900 census or something like that.) Good luck! It's a lot of fun!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search