Lice...

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone ever had to deal with it?

I noticed my daughter scratch scratch scratching at her head and low and behold!! Lice

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? What have you done besides using pesticides and shaving heads? lol

Becky
June 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM
MommieinNC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mayo and vinager is said to work well... IF you can get your kiddo to sit with it long enough in her hair...

However, unfortunatley, most people result to the pestocides found in drug stores for it...

Here's some home remedies I found online for you:

Quote:
Ingredients: Mayonaise
Olive Oil
White Vinager
Instructions: Place mayonaise (cheap store kind without many additives)on head and rub in.Place plastic bag on head and push out any air bubbles. Tie bag in back.Please expose any face and ears for safety. Wash face, ears and neck if spilled while coating hair.Heat head with blow dryer to warm the mayonaise. Once warm, let sit for three or more hours.Wash with Denorex or equivelant dandruff shampoo. Mix half olive oil and half white vinegar, enoughto coat hair well. Next, sit person on a sheet and comb oil/vinegar hair with flea or nit comb, wiping oil mixtureon towel after each stroke. Comb well. Wrap head with plastic bag (exposing face and ears) push out any air bubblesand let sit one hour or more. Shampoo hair with Denorex or equivelant dandruff shampoo. Blow dry hair completely while combingwith flea or nit comb. The vinegar in the mayonaise and vinegar and olive oil mixture should loosen and remove any nits.The blow drying of hair will also aid in removing remaining nits.Repeat few days later if necessary.Wash all sheets and towels and bedding.Tip: spray clean hair with baby oil or skin so soft or some type of oil product after washing shouldhopefully keep a person from getting reinfected.[/b]
Quote:
Ingredients: tea tree oil and olive oil
rinse with vinegar
lice comb
Instructions:
Mix 1/2 cup olive oil with 2 or 3 tablespoons tea tree oil. Apply to hair and rub into scalp. Leave on hair for 30 min. to 1 hr. Wash hair to remove oil. Rinse hair with vinegar (the vinegar loosens the "glue" holding the eggs and nits on your hair). Wait 5 to 10 mins and rinse hair with hot water. Repeat vinegar rinse. Always comb hair out with a lice comb to remove any remaining nits.
Wash bed linens, towels and clothes. Vacuum mattresses and fruniture. Don't forget childrens stuffed animals and the car seats.Prevention: mix 4 drops tea tree oil with your daily shampoo and shampoo as usual.Don't rely on the various shampoos that advertise tee tree, they don't have enough in them.I have worked for 10 years at a large child day care center (which cares for 125 children each day).Believe me, I have a first-hand, unsolicited knowledge of head lice.But, for 7 years my family has been lice and nit free! I contribute it to the daily tea tree oil mixed in the shampoo, each morning.[/b]
Quote:
Ingredients: Salt and Shower Gel/Shampoo
Instructions: I have a large family of ten. About two years ago we all had lice. Three short haircuts and seven with long hair.We could not get rid of it we tried Toxic Chemicals, Lice shampoos, Mayo, Olive oil etc. But our family justcould not get rid of it. Much to my dismay. Then I heard of this very simple remedy I felt surely this would not work everything else certainly hadn't! Salt and body Sampoo/Gel. We took one bottle of body shampoo that was slightly used, then we put about 3 tablespoons of salt in the bottle with the body shampoo gel. Shook it up and we just plastered it all over scalp and hair. We did not even have to cover it. We just left it on the hair for about one hour then washed it with normal shampoolike we usually do. We kept checking day after day, week after week. Nothing was there it was so amazing everyones hair was so shiny aswell. We have not had even a hint of them back in two years.[/b]
June 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nina
Just remember to wash everything!!! My friend's son had and it took forever to get rid of because she didn't wash all his clothes and bedding the same day she did the treatment.

xxx

June 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh golly what a pain in the booty!! Thanks girls!!!
June 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My niece has lice and for some reason she can't get rid of them. Her other grandparents didn't know that the eggs don't just come out with just the shampoo. The eggs need to be pulled out. We didn't know and she stayed with us at my parent's house for a whole week before we found out. My sister and I were breastfeeding so we weren't able to use the lice shampoo. Plus my girls and her son who were all under the age of 4 months at the time weren't able to use the chemicals too.
It was horrible. We used/ grandma did it all, a shampoo and treatment from RID (I think that's the name) and grandpa sprayed all the furnture and beds.
Everything needed to be cleaned in HOT HOT water and then put in the dryer on high temp for 20 mins.
My sister was a health inspector so she knew about what to do.
All the toys needed to be put in bags and vacuumed (SP).

IT was horrible. I was also checking the girls but their hair was to fine. thank goodness. I never got it and neither did DH

good luck with the lice problem!
June 24th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Ukmum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Ukmum
I keep my boys hair short so i have no problems with them. My girls i would put conditioner on their hair (tea tree oil) and come it through. I would always keep their hair tied tightly back.

m/c 86, May 04, July 04, m/c Sep 04

http://www.facebook.com/Ukmum
June 25th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jessie got them a few years ago and it was a nightmare. We got the shampoo and washed her hair all of her Bedding and everything. But she has so much hair we had to pick threw all of it because the comb would not work. Make sure you get her bedding.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy
June 30th, 2006, 08:49 AM
MinnesotaMommy
Thank God NO!!
June 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
My DD used to get it bad when hanging out with old neighbor children whose parents refused to treat them. Luckily they moved and she hasn't had it since.

I used to just get the stuff in the stores and be sure to wash all bedding, brushes, hats, etc. really good. After washing hair (either with store stuff or homemade remedies), be sure to go through the hair thoroughly with a fine tooth comb!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search