EMERGENCY HELP PLEASE

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2006, 08:49 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
We have about two feet or more of water in our basement! We got the water shut off but our pump down there is broken! I am freaking out. We just bought a brand new ac and furnace!!! I have to get this water out right away before everything is ruined. I am feeling sick to my stomach. We have home owners insurance if worse comes to worse but I need to get this water out ASAP. UGGH. If anyone is up and has any ideas I would appreciate any advice!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
July 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hate to bring this up in the middle of the crisis, but I think that standard homeowner's insurance doesn't cover flooding of any kind. My mother's best friend had her basement get flooded, and their insurance didn't cover anything.

If you don't have a pump, I guess I would get in the yellow pages and try to find someone who can pump the water out that works nights and weekends. Or else I would get some buckets and start bailing. Doesn't this kind of thing always happen on a Saturday night on a holiday weekend? Good luck and maybe someone will have a better idea.

July 1st, 2006, 10:34 PM
I got my sister to help. She drove to a 24 hour store and purchased a submersible pump and met me halfway to my house. (I live in the middle of nowhereland). She loaned me her shop vac too. So hopefully we can get this pumped out. It was actually probably less than a foot of water. It just looked like a lot when I went in there. We shall see.

July 2nd, 2006, 12:10 AM
Regular
Quote:
I got my sister to help. She drove to a 24 hour store and purchased a submersible pump and met me halfway to my house. (I live in the middle of nowhereland). She loaned me her shop vac too. So hopefully we can get this pumped out. It was actually probably less than a foot of water. It just looked like a lot when I went in there. We shall see.[/b]
I'm not sure what homeowner's insurance you have, but ours did. The big issue is mold. You do not want to have mold growing in the walls, flooring or carpet, if you have it. It's at least worth a call to your insurance carrier. Good luck!
July 2nd, 2006, 06:15 AM
Thank you for your post. I was up till 3:30 in the morning. I just checked it now and there is still a couple inches or more of water in there. But its getting out. I am praying that the AC and furnace still work. UGGH! This is taking too long.

If anything isn't working I will call my home owners insurance up. Its not like there was an actual flood. It was a leaky pipe. I guess I will find out.

July 2nd, 2006, 06:40 AM
asianmama
my parents old house the wash machine over filled or something and the house was flooded- the home owners insurance payed for the clean up and the hotel stay for-3 weeks. i would just call and see if they can come out to expect the house-make sure there isnt mold or anything.

goodluck
July 2nd, 2006, 09:42 AM

You can see how much water there was. This is from this morning. You can see how much water there was in there. Its gone down a lot but you can see where the water level was if you look at the wall. I am going to see if everything works once it is good and dry. The AC was running while it had all that water in there. I didn't realize that the water pipe was leaking in there. It was probably flowing water in there for several hours

July 2nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I forgot to check back on this after last night. It is a very good idea to let everything COMPLETELY dry out before turning it back on. Hopefully everything is still working.

July 2nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nina
OMG! That's just awful!! I hope you get it all sorted out soon! Sorry I wasn't on to be of any help. Good luck!!

xxx

July 2nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
I think most home owner insurance things cover pipe bursts / leaks. They don't cover flooding if it's from rain or a river or a hurricane or something - lol. Otherwise it *should* be covered.

That's SUCH a big mess. I can see why you'd be really upset over it! I'd feel just terrible if I found a mess like that I hope that everything still works!

July 4th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Everything is dried out for the most part now. It took several hours of pumping but we didn't have much in the basement since we just cleaned it out. Everything is working fine now!!! Yah!! I am sooooo relieved.

July 5th, 2006, 01:39 PM
*Bry*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

You can see how much water there was. This is from this morning. You can see how much water there was in there. Its gone down a lot but you can see where the water level was if you look at the wall. I am going to see if everything works once it is good and dry. The AC was running while it had all that water in there. I didn't realize that the water pipe was leaking in there. It was probably flowing water in there for several hours[/b]
Patty we got flooded too last weekend or so We had lots of flooding in our basement. Glad you got everything pretty much cleaned up.

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow yet we forget that he is someone today."

M&M's ROCK!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search