Thankgiving Traditions

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2011, 04:39 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Do you have any Thanksgiving-related traditions?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
October 22nd, 2011, 03:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Eat lots of turkey. LOL

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
October 25th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
The only thing that has become tradition is deep-frying a turkey now, it's delicious!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

October 25th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I've never tried deep-fried turkey - interesting concept!

November 17th, 2011, 01:23 PM
We don't have Thanksgiving in the UK, so I would find it very interesting to hear about some of the traditions you ladies do have.

Isn't there a traditional story related to Thanksgiving? Do kids do pageants and such like in school? Are there any traditional games or other foods than turkey for Thanksgiving? Enquiring minds (mine) want to know.

November 23rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Valkyrie View Post
We don't have Thanksgiving in the UK, so I would find it very interesting to hear about some of the traditions you ladies do have.

Isn't there a traditional story related to Thanksgiving? Do kids do pageants and such like in school? Are there any traditional games or other foods than turkey for Thanksgiving? Enquiring minds (mine) want to know.
Sorry, meant to answer this forever ago. Thanksgiving started back when America was first being settled. The colonists arrived in the fall and had little time for (or knowledge about) farming and hunting. They had weeks to get food and shelter for the winter. The Indians, or Native Americans, helped the white man (colonists, or pilgrims) out by teaching them how to farm and hunt for food. By the following fall the Pilgrims had a bountiful harvest and lots of hunted meat. To show their appreciation to the Indians for their help, the Pilgrims planned a big feast and invited the Indians to share in the celebration and good food. That was the first Thanksgiving.

The first Thanksgiving had deer, turkey, corn, and pumpkin. Today, Americans usually have turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, rolls, and corn of some sort (my family makes corn pudding). Some people have ham too. According to DH some also make Turducken (which I'd never heard of and after looking it up think is insane.)

Some schools will do a Thanksgiving play. It's not as common as it used to be though.

Do you have any fall traditions?

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
November 24th, 2011, 02:59 AM
The only things we have during fall before Christmas are Hallowe'en and Bonfire Night. And they're not anything "big" like Thanksgiving.

Advent is usually "celebrated" with an Advent calendar at home and Advent crowns/candles and assemblies/services in the churches and schools (even non-denominational schools tend to "do" Advent and Christmas as an insight into the Christian faith).

Come to think of it, we don't really have any federal holidays like you guys have Thanksgiving and 4th July. We have "bank holidays" which are just an extra day off work, usually on a Monday, with no particular celebration attached. It's a shame really. Sometimes I wish I lived in the US you know. Though I do love the UK.

November 24th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Sharon, what exactly is Bonfire Night? Is there a story or something to go along with that?

November 24th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Yes, Bonfire Night as it is now called was originally Guy Fawkes' Night. Guy Fawkes was one of a group who formed "The Gunpowder Plot" to blow up the Houses of Parliament at the time of King James I. They were opposed to the Protestant monarchy and wished to restore a Catholic to the throne of England. On 5th November 1605 he was caught in the act guarding the explosives and imprisoned, and was tried and executed the following January.

Fawkes was to be hung, but he jumped from the scaffold and broke his neck avoiding a drawn-out painful death. However in the modern commemoration of the day, there is often a "guy" - an effigy of Guy Fawkes - burnt on a bonfire. The bonfire symbolism came about because those loyal to the king were encouraged to burn bonfires on November 5 1605 to celebrate the king's escape from assassination. Fireworks became part of the festivities in 1650, and the burning of the guy from 1673. Kids sometimes make a guy and sit outside shops or on the street begging "penny for the guy" - however this is on the decline in recent years, probably as most UK children now trick or treat and it would be asking for money again in such close proximity to Hallowe'en.

Our family doesn't do anything for Bonfire Night at present as Daniel gets upset and scared around fireworks, but in the past we've had little get togethers with a small bonfire and garden fireworks and a buffet supper including treacle toffee and parkin - traditional Bonfire Night sweets.

November 24th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Valkyrie View Post
Yes, Bonfire Night as it is now called was originally Guy Fawkes' Night. Guy Fawkes was one of a group who formed "The Gunpowder Plot" to blow up the Houses of Parliament at the time of King James I. They were opposed to the Protestant monarchy and wished to restore a Catholic to the throne of England. On 5th November 1605 he was caught in the act guarding the explosives and imprisoned, and was tried and executed the following January.

Fawkes was to be hung, but he jumped from the scaffold and broke his neck avoiding a drawn-out painful death. However in the modern commemoration of the day, there is often a "guy" - an effigy of Guy Fawkes - burnt on a bonfire. The bonfire symbolism came about because those loyal to the king were encouraged to burn bonfires on November 5 1605 to celebrate the king's escape from assassination. Fireworks became part of the festivities in 1650, and the burning of the guy from 1673. Kids sometimes make a guy and sit outside shops or on the street begging "penny for the guy" - however this is on the decline in recent years, probably as most UK children now trick or treat and it would be asking for money again in such close proximity to Hallowe'en.

Our family doesn't do anything for Bonfire Night at present as Daniel gets upset and scared around fireworks, but in the past we've had little get togethers with a small bonfire and garden fireworks and a buffet supper including treacle toffee and parkin - traditional Bonfire Night sweets.
I love hearing backstories! Thank you for sharing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search