HELP NEED SOME ADVICE!!!!!

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Regular
we have a five year old son who during the summer became friends with a 6yr old boy in his karate class...i got to know his mom and have gone swimming with them in the summer, have gone to their house a couple of times while the kids played, to lunch at a game place a couple of times...and there was one day that her son wanted to know if zachary could come over and play...i had some errands to run so i let him go there for a couple of hours..i had been to her house once before..my husband did not like this at all..he has not got to know them other than saying a few words at one time at the karate school..he works alot and is unable to attend the karate classes..he does not really have an interest in meeting them to become inseperable friends, but i have insisted it would be good to at least go to dinner or something like that and he feels he is uncomfortable in such a planned situation other than something more natural in meeting someone if you know what i mean...basically it has become another mom with 2 son's that are friends which means we can get together and have something in common and most likely become friends too...let me get to the point...i just need to know some opinions on how others feel about letting their 5yr old go over to a friends house or go with the other parent and child somewhere (movie, game place,etc) without you being present...my husband says "no" and i feel sort of comfortable in some situations and not in others...but what is others take on it when you have not known someone for more than a few months, although they seem like ok people, but leaving your child with them??? just would love alot of opinions as this is frustrating because i do not want to shelter him from his childhood and having friends, but we are having a hard time letting him go off alone without me being there...please...any advice would be most appreciated....bahamamom
August 21st, 2006, 04:52 AM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nina
Hello!! I'm Nina and I have a 10 year old DD and I know exactly where you're coming from. It took me and my DH a long time to trust other people and even then it was still hard. When my DD was in Kindergarten, she would come home all excited because she made a new friend and her friend wanted her to sleep over or go out with her and her parents. It was a regular thing. She was always so heartbroken when we said no, but we tried to explain the reasons. We just didn't feel comfortable letting people we barely knew take her some where or let her sleep over their house. When she was 7 we loosened up a little and let her go places with her friends and sometimes to a sleep over. It's a very hard decision. You really have to be comfortable with the people taking your child. I would say give it more time, let your DH meet them and then decide. Maybe start with that child coming to your house for a while to play. That way you can get a feel of what he's like without his parents there. You can tell a lot about the parents just by watching the child. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

xxx

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search