wdyt?

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What do you think of some of the "advances" in modern medicine?

I was thinking about this today (I daydream alot..lol)

It seems they have a diagnoses for every "problem" and so many meds seem to be the answer....

So what are your thoughts on this topic? Do you think it really is modern science finding answers to our "problems" or just drug companies in it for the profit?

(I'm thinking along the lines of the over abundance of add/adhd diagnoses in children, pmdd-premenstral dysphoric disorder ect ect.. all these new names for "problems")

I think another reason I started thinking about this was because of my nephew... I tend not to think about other ways parents parent their children.. but when you are around someone alot of times you notice things.. It's really none of my buisness... but when I think of my nephew who's 9.. and I think of all the things that have gone on in his 9 years... I've never heard the boy get told no.. seems to me like he has no real boundaries.. so he still throws toddler tempertantrums and gets really frustrated with others often and now they are medicating him... he gets really mouthy with everyone regardless of who you are and alot of people just ignore his mouthy attitude and just give him what he wants... but I guess they arn't ignoring it if they think he acts the way he does because he has a disorder and the doses of medications keeps increasing until it mellos him out.. (which it's my understanding it hasn't been successful yet)

So what do you think?
September 26th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Renee360 Send a message via Yahoo to Renee360
My one experience, Benjamin was diganosed with Acid Reflux. He was put on AXID which is one of the stronger medicines for AR. I went in asking if there was anything wrong with him since he seemed fussier then usual. The Dr. diganosed him with AR. It kind of pissed me off that he was so quick to diagnose. I gave him the medicine a few times and then I stopped. Never had any problems with him spitting up..just gassy at times.

[/URL]Renee
September 26th, 2006, 07:28 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I have so many opinions on this! I promise I will be brief--society today OVERMEDICATES and I do blame pharmaceutical companies. Children are active, children get into everything, children are curious--it's not always ADHD. I taught HS and I had a 9th grader whose grades suddenly dropped. She wouldn't turn in work, didn't study...her Mom took her to many MD's and 1 finally diagnosed her with ADD. The meds didn't work, you know why--SHE NEVER DID HER WORK, SHE SKIPPED CLASS and NEVER STUDIED. She was in hs and got distracted by boys! Her mother KNEW something medically was wrong and found someone willing to give her the justification for poor grades and habits! Okay enough rant! I think you can see how I feel! (I do know there is such a thing as ADD, but I think it's a quick diagnosis for an active child--bring PE back daily and let them get their energy out!) WHEW~ I feel better!

September 26th, 2006, 08:31 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I'm all for advances in modern medicine. What I hate are all the commercials that say "ask your doctor about XYZ drug!" They don't even tell you what the drug is for! I got a joke email from someone about a little boy at the doctor for a cold asking for the little blue pill because the t.v. told him to. It's rediculous, but I'm sure that "joke" has probably happened many times in real life. I have nothing against medication at all. I just think that it is sometimes over-prescribed. I've had TWO doctors prescribe antibiotics to me with instructions to take them if I want to. No test. No questions. Just, "Here's your pill. Where's my pay? Good day!"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search