Anyone here with depression?

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM
dvrgrl38's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies, popping in from April DDC. I have depression and anxiety pretty bad and I am struggling. I have decided to not take my medication for at least the first trimester. I usually take celexa. I really didn't want to take it at all if I could help it, but due to other circumstances in my life right now I am having a really tough time. Anyone else going through this and are you/did you taking medication while pregnant?
Alison
September 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM
** Mandy **
I have a friend with bad anxiety who took her medication during pregnancy because it was approved by her doctor as being safe. If I were you I would talk to your doctor about it.

September 26th, 2006, 11:58 AM
dvrgrl38's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have talked to my doc about it and he basically said to take it if i have to. I am really struggling over this. I feel that I have to, but I am worried. Thanks for replying .
September 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Check out the mental health board or the post partum depression board. I'm sure they can tell you what is or isn't safe during pregnancy and/or breastfeeding.
September 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The worst thing that can happen to your baby right now is YOU STRESSING!!!!!!

When we take antidepressives like we are sapposto..our body gets used to them and then when we stop taking them we go through withdrawl...

Since you've already spoken to your doctor and they told you to go ahead and take them.. i think if you're really struggling.. you should take them..

If you're still having a problem with the idea of taking them.. try www.rx.com and look up your drug and other well known drugs like zoloft.. (lexapro is the theraupeutic interchange for celexa) ect and talk to your doctor about your concerns of side effects/possible fetal problems and see if you can find something that you both feel is less of a risk (I don't know of any of them being a risk)

Maybe something like xanax or ativan would be something to talk about.. something you can take when you're over anxious or having a panic attack.. Either way.. call your doctor again.. don't feel bad or that you are bugging them.. that's there job!!

Becky
September 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
I've been struggling with depression for years, and have been on and off medication. I haven't taken anything in 5 years or so but with being pregnant I've completely lost the ability to work through it myself. I am going on Zoloft in two weeks, so as to cope with the current depression plus to help me avoid post partum. When you have prior issues you tend to be more suseptible (sp?) to post partum depression. I know zoloft is safe while your pregnant and nursing, but I don't know about any other brands of meds.... It's just better to take care of it now than wait and stress yourself out. Good luck! I hope things get better for you!

October 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM
**Kelley**'s Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to **Kelley** Send a message via Yahoo to **Kelley**
I never took ant-depressants during either of my two preganancies, but then again my anxiety wasnt diagnosed until 3 years ago. I dont plan on having anymore children. I'm 41.

But..I have read articles and was under the assumption that some anti-depressants are perfectly safe to keep taking during pregnancy.

Unless thats changed?

With My Wings</div>
October 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Any updates? Have you gone back to the doctor?
October 12th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm posting late but I took Lexapro throughout my entire pregnancy & Noah is perfectly fine & healthy.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
October 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
*Fiona*
Quote:
When we take antidepressives like we are sapposto..our body gets used to them and then when we stop taking them we go through withdrawl...[/b]
Although I am not pregnant, I have just come off Prozac 3 weeks ago. Can I ask... did you stop "cold turkey"? If so, I urge you, please speak to your doctor again. As Sassy said above about withdrawl.... it's hell. I tried to stop cold turkey in July, but only managed one week. I truly sympathise with you. It's really not easy. I had to cut down to meds every second day for a month, then I was to stop, but I did another month of meds every third day as I felt I was struggling.

Every person and situation is different, but as Sassy says:

Quote:
The worst thing that can happen to your baby right now is YOU STRESSING!!!!!![/b]
I absolutely agree with this statement. Express your concerns with your doctor sweetie, there's no point in worrying yourself into a frenzy if you don't need to. I've been trying to find info online but it seems it's a relatively new medication?

The best advice I got whilst in my lowest of lows... take each minute by minute, instead of trying to think of tomorrow or next week, small steps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search