Not an easy topic but......

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Sassy5d's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
October is breastcancer awareness month.. so don't be surprized to see pink everywhere!

I was also hoping to make it another type of awareness month.. Std's.

The local news-station was advertising to get a breastself exam buddy.. I know that sounds perverted but it makes sense.. You're sapposto do a breast self exam once a month to check for any changes in your breasts.. Your and your breast buddy's are there to remind each other to do their monthly exams.. The human string on your finger...

I think October would be a great month to also remind women to get their yearly std check.....
I know there are alot of you who are probably laughing at the thought of getting yearly std checks...

"I'm married! My husband would NEVER cheat on me"

Well you know what I always say to people? Nobody ever wakes up and thinks they are going to die in a car crash today.. or get caught in a housefire or hit by a train.. They are called accidents because they happen..

Std checks isn't a matter of how well you can trust your husband.. or how good you are at wearing protection...

It's a matter of you taking care of you because the bottom line is.. nobody else is going to..

Many women find out their partners are cheating on them simply from getting an std test...

So I think it would be a good idea, even though I know it's a touchy subject.. to get an "std buddy" as silly as that sounds.. I think we should all have a friend to remind ourselves every year (and what better month then october?) to get tested...

Many many std's have little to no symptoms at all.. especially in women...
Many women play off some std's as yeast infections and self diagnose themselves and buy some monistat and treat the symptoms and they go away end of story.... Problem is.. Alot of std symptoms come on like a typical yeast infection and then go away several days later.. but they didn't actually go away...

There are several std's that do have no symptoms.. on the outside.. but can cause permanent damage to the female if left undetected.. Worse case senario.. Sterility....

Alot of you gals have already had std tests performed since you're either pregnant now, or just had a baby recently... good! But it's really important to return to the doctors on a yearly basis and get tested.

The testing is painless (unless you are getting blood work and then it's just a little poke) and rather cheap.. There really is no reason not to have this done....

Ok. Off my soap box.. I just wanted to stress the importance of this..

Becky
October 6th, 2006, 08:29 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
October is also Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness month.... established back in 1988 by Pres. Reagan.

October 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Its nice to see that there are soo many views of this thread...
October 11th, 2006, 09:15 AM
**Kelley**'s Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to **Kelley** Send a message via Yahoo to **Kelley**
Got all mine done and I'm good to go! Thanks!

With My Wings</div>
October 11th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nina
I'm all checked and all set!! There is so much to be aware of, it's kind of sad.

xxx

October 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM
It is very sad.. My friend found out she had hpv during one of her pregnancy exams... and that was after she had already been tested at her first preg exam. She had the hpv that gave you the warts.. Apparently he had been cheating on her while she was pregnant.... Very sad.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search