Need Input

Forum: The Mommy Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Mommy Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Veteran
The daycare I take my 6 year old boy to did something yesterday that I need your advice on - My son got into trouble with some other boys for "having a potty mouth". Not sure exactly what was said, but that's the story. Their punishment was to go outside and rake leaves. The day care lady then said if they kept it up she would have them scrub the toilets with a toothbrush and then clean the cat littler boxes.

So, my question, how would you feel if you found out your kid's punishment was to clean a nasty toilet or cat box? Am I over reacting or is this WAY out of line for a daycare?

Any advice is needed!!!!!

MY LITTLE GIRL MOLLIE BORN ON 1/17/07 @ 12:53 A.M.

November 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sounds like something *I* would do , but I wouldn't necessarily want someone else making him to it. That does seem very strange to me.
November 5th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Regular
I think that's crazy. I think they should have talked to him and maybe put him in timeout or something.
November 5th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nina
You are in no way overreacting!! I would have been furious! She has no right to make the children in her care do work like that. I'd have a stern word with her and make it clear that the punishment will be something you decide on, not her! Putting him in timeout is more than efficient and if he does something so bad, she should call you.

xxx

November 5th, 2006, 02:47 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did they ever talk to you about their discipline methods before or ask for your input on how to handle your child if he ever needed discipline? I have known a lot of day care workers and this is what they normally have had to do because some parents are against time outs or want to handle ALL discipline themselves, so they request to be called. Maybe you should discuss this with them and find out their policies?

November 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM
cyutegurl
WOW THATS TERRIBLE! I would definitly go and talk with this teacher. They have no right to make children do that.
Yes a time out...but scrubbing toilets and cleaning THEIR cats litter box. Thats way out of line.

You put your 2 bits in!
November 7th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Regular
Is this a home daycare? If the provider was inside with the other kids, who was outside watching the boys rake? I would have a long talk with her and if I wasn't satisfied, I'd go to the state licensing office. I'm not sure how I feel about the kids being made to rake leaves but cleaning the toilet with a toothbrush and cleaning the catbox are completely inappropriate. I would also insist on knowing exactly what was said but that's me.

Paula
November 11th, 2006, 05:54 AM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
Raking leaves if it was a home daycare and the caregiver was outside would not be too harsh (Thinking about 6 minutes total) but scrubbing the toilets with a toothbrush and cleaning the litter box is a little extreme. I am hoping she was kidding and would not do something like that.
November 11th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That daycare is WAY out of line!! That isn't right!!!!!

<span style="color:#A0522D">"No my windows aren't dirty ....that's my boxers nose artwork!"</span>
November 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
My daughter is not in daycare, but if I were in your situation I would think cleaning toilets would be WAY OUT OF LINE!

First of all that is a safety hazard, to have CHILDREN USING CLEANING AIDS! Is this woman crazy? Second of all, what about the germs that most likely are not going to be completely removed from the toilet, let alone from your childs clothing, hands, and (dread the thought) his face if it comes in contact with any of those germs! I would be worried about Staph infection, personally. THIRD, a daycare is for your child to be looked after NOT disiplined!

If I were in your shoes, I would tell the woman that disiplining my child is not her repsonsibility and that neither did I leave that type of decision up to her. I would ask her to leave that type of parenting to me. I would ask her to use Time outs or take away privileges...NOT dirty chores like those. I would tell her to write down the words she hears him say, tell him that she's writing them down and then at the end of the day report she would back to me on the inappropriate behavior used.

My next thoughts would be of my child, has this happened before without my knowledge? And I would then have a VERY stern talk with the Owner/Operator/or Workers there about that sort of thing. I would also try talking to other parents that have taken their children to this daycare and ask them their experiences on punishment and disipline.

I really hope you find a solution to this problem... Best of Wishes!

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search